TXFO: HEB St. Louis Style Ribs

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Texas Brethren,
Have any of you tried the HEB St. Louis trimmed ribs? At the local HEB yesterday I saw them for the first time. I was told that they are non-enhanced ("That's teh crap Walmart does," I was told by the meat man). They look good, but I am wondering what say the Brethren?

They are on sale, not sure the price $2 something a pound...

Yes, they are good. HEB is good about selling non enhanced meats. Don't spend extra for the ones out of the cryovac. All they do is take them out of the cryo and put them in a tray and wrap them to make them look different. It's the same thing and they charge more for them.

I have been using them since early summer 2010 when they first started carrying them. They can be very good if you pick through them. Yes they are unenhanced. sometimes they drop to $1.98lb during the summer months. Enjoy

Thanks, Zilla. Thought of you a few days ago when I was driving through Universal City.

Yeah, I wish I had planned things better and knew what we'd be doing when. We made it to Pearsall (South of S.A. on 35, in case you don't know) last Tuesday - came through East TX during the sleet/snow. Then went to see my brother in Baytown last weekend and then running about here this week. Did the S.A. rodeo last night. Heading back up north on Sunday. This weather, the food, and especially the people really have made me home sick for TX. Next time I'm down, I want to see your pits in action. Beautiful cookers!

They are featured in this video

YouTube - Popdaddys Hot and Fast Weeping Ribs Method
HEB Pork Spares Untrimmed

Their Brisket was featured in this video... which was before the Meat Recall and they subsequently decided to simply buy up brisket and cook it for themselves. Which sux cuz they ended the 99 cent untrimmed whole packer brisket sale.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/3/DMVK0-aR2sAYouTube - Popdaddy - Hot and Fast Q and the Dirty Dalmatian Post Rub Technique

HEB Choice Brisket (about 1:43)

ribs 270 to 300 until they weep then shut the pit down (yes... choke everything) and cook until done propery

Brisket 270-325 cook until properly done

Back