Score a no garnish box.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Take a look for about 7 or 8 seconds, thats about what you get at a judges table unless you ask to see it again. After filling the box with brisket I realized there was no room for garnish so thats how I played that card. Now score it for appearance and remember no more that 7 or 8 seconds
Dave
100_1608.jpg

100_1608.jpg

Immediate reaction was a 7.

I think it looks good overall but might consider cutting back on the qty of the burnt ends/cubed points.. Makes the box looks a bit too dark. Not crazy about the smeared sauce on the slices.

Immediate reaction was a 7.

I think it looks good overall but might consider cutting back on the qty of the burnt ends/cubed points.. Makes the box looks a bit too dark. Not crazy about the smeared sauce on the slices.

Yep I noticed the smeared sauce after I looked at it when I got home. But I don't see any photo so I was surprised that you responded so fast.
Dave

I'd say an 8 at least. It might look better with only one row of burnt ends on each side and less sauce or not as smeared. Then again, in person it might look a whole bunch better.

is it normal to brush the front of the bris in KCBS?

9+ on the burnt ends, they look totally slammin'
8 on the slices, sauce on the face is a turn off for me. I can't see the meat... I see sauce.

I'd give it an 8 overall.

I do not mind the no garnish at all, but, the burnt ends are all that got my attention (in the seven second rule), I was spending most of that looking at them instead of the brisket.....and then, "upon further review" the call stands, less burnt....also, sauce all the way across....notice (again, looking further) that the sauce is all in the middle...missed out on sides...and the infamous Mark of Zoro on top......

8. Looks really good to me. I would have gave it a 9 but I think there are a few too many burnt ends.

is it normal to brush the front of the bris in KCBS?

May not be normal and the general vote here seems to be don't brush the front. In hindsight I should not have done that. It must have been the heat that got to me:icon_blush:
Dave

9+ on the burnt ends, they look totally slammin'
8 on the slices, sauce on the face is a turn off for me. I can't see the meat... I see sauce.

I'd give it an 8 overall.

Glade I got to say hi in passing but it was just to stinking hot for me to get around. Heck it was a struggle just to get to the bathroom and back. Congrats on your walk.
Dave

Sorry for the double photo. I see the photo now but not until restarting my computer, is that normal? Dd someone repost it for me because I had two post but one is gone now?
Dave

Glade I got to say hi in passing but it was just to stinking hot for me to get around. Heck it was a struggle just to get to the bathroom and back. Congrats on your walk.
Dave

Same here.

I too didn't move far from my area. I even stayed in the trailer a lot. I have air. :icon_blush: Honestly, I think it is better to just get used to the heat instead of coming in and out of it.

Same here.

I too didn't move far from my area. I even stayed in the trailer a lot. I have air. :icon_blush: Honestly, I think it is better to just get used to the heat instead of coming in and out of it.

I sat in my truck with the AC on a couple times but stopped doing that because it would take 20 minutes for my dang glasses to defog so I could read the temps:icon_frow
Dave

Dave that box is a strong 8, less sause and it's a 9. Sorry we didn't meet.

Dave that box is a strong 8, less sause and it's a 9. Sorry we didn't meet.

Sorry I did not get to meet you as well and congrats on your walks. Do you live near the Laurie or lake area?
Dave

8. Slices look small and uneven, maybe just because the burnt ends are laying on top? Burnt ends themselves aren't evenly barked on all sides - looks like cubed point rather than true BE.

Overall it looks tasty, but could be a little better.

Back