MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
bdodd444
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Be Careful Plugging your blower into BBQ Guru

I just wanted to post this, because of a recent experience I had with my CyberQ II: I was at a comp last month, when I plugged in blower 1 the receptacle broke off inside the guru. I sent it back to BBQ Guru, and it is going to be $85 for a new circuit board because it is out of warranty. I had only use it maybe 20 times since I purchased it, but the lady said I needed to be more careful when plugging the blower in. I never felt like I exerted a lot of force, but apparently the Guru is more fragile than it appears, so be careful. I posted this in the comp section because I know a lot of you use them, and it is a bad feeling to have this happen on a Friday night. Take care.

Brian
bdodd444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but I have 4 gurus and have never had that problem. Overall they have been very rugged. Instead of spending $85 for the board, maybe try the new PartyQ, which is about $129. The blower and the control unit are one piece, so you won't have the same problem.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I have had 3 Guru's for 4 years now and I've never had any problems with the units. I guess anything can randomly happen.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

That was one of the things that bothered me about the Guru -- that the fan attached directly to the cooker. I'm clumsy, sometimes, and I could see myself kicking the thing and breaking it off of my WSM, since it would be in range of both of my left feet.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Mine broke once too. It didn't break off completely like that but the wires shorted out.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Iamarealbigdog
On the road to being a farker

Our probes get beat up pretty bad but never broken off in the unit

Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
mremus
Knows what a fatty is.

I had the same thing happen with the Stoker. Good thing it was under warranty.

WSM 22 (2)
WSM 18
Weber 22
UDS
mremus is offline   Reply With Quote