MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #31
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Thirdeye and I had this problem... solved by doing two things... .. smoke at 200 or under for like 2 hours.... then ramp it up. Shorter if your meat is room temp when you put it in. I also add seasalt in my rub. Of course now that I use a UDS... I am struggling to teak it to get that smoke ring again. I may need to smoke lower in the uds cuz its closer to the fire. I don't know.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #32
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Incredible shotz... look like Angelos BBQ and nothing in this shot says anything but Texas Style Brisket. Who needs Kansas City BS?

[quote

Worcestershire, Dirty D and old #2 brisket rub

1h 30min in

Wrapped after 3h

After hold

[/quote]

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #33
SmokyWoodturner
On the road to being a farker

YUM YUM. Looks mighty fine
SmokyWoodturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #34
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

Nice and moist. I will take moist over a smoke ring anyday.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #35
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Of course now that I use a UDS... I am struggling to teak it to get that smoke ring again. I may need to smoke lower in the uds cuz its closer to the fire. I don't know.
Even though its not supposed to be a judging criteria in KCBS you hear all kinds of talk about it. AND in IBCA, Texas folks always say "Nice Smoke Ring" like first thing.

So, when using my UDS's, I went to Cherry Chunks for Brisket. Give it a shot, you'll see more of a ring.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #36
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Even though its not supposed to be a judging criteria in KCBS you hear all kinds of talk about it. AND in IBCA, Texas folks always say "Nice Smoke Ring" like first thing.

So, when using my UDS's, I went to Cherry Chunks for Brisket. Give it a shot, you'll see more of a ring.
I've never tried Cherry for brisket, however if you really want a smoke ring w/out resorting to TQ, try a light dusting of celery salt a few hours before you throw the brisket on. Not too much though or you may taste it, which may not be a good thing - depending on your taste buds.

There is no separate appearance score in IBCA but it is taken into consideration and you are right - a smoke ring always gets noticed.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
Hog
Knows what a fatty is.

That looks really yummy!
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Incredible shotz... look like Angelos BBQ and nothing in this shot says anything but Texas Style Brisket. Who needs Kansas City BS?

Thx brotha I understand your funk I'd like to think I've picked up what you've put down your video's really are inspirational looking forward to your future UDS videos, when I drive back from Denison in March I'll remember to stop by Angelos BBq, I love to try 50yr old Q joints they seems to do it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Looks great! Do you use a diffuser or go directly over the coals?
Thx brotha, no diffuser just HnF over the coals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post

I was at a comp with my family and some other comp folks all loving the brisket and some keith stone drunk came up to my tent and was just doggin me about my faint smoke ring he was appalled or something he wouldn't even try it, his women was just as bad. You know on pitmaster when that drunk goes poking at Johnny Trigg, I got like Johnny shortly after him ramballing. They seem to think a 1/4 smoke ring really makes a difference, I remember having a better ring using cherry when I first started doing briskets I think you just made me come full circle THx brotha

Last edited by AustinKnight; 02-18-2013 at 11:53 PM..
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
Shots of the point
Best part of a brisket if you ask me or any Texan that loves them some peppery smokey fatty beefy brisket. Anyone know one?

The idiot that came over bothering you, ya shoulda stuck a foot in his arse. I had a drunk baffoon come over and try take over my chicken prep and "show me something" because "he has cooked In the rodeo" at my last comp. I almost tied his fatt butt in a knot when he tore one of my breast skins. I got real pissed at that point and said a few choice words and demanded he leave my site and never return. He was just shiggin! Good thing I switch out all my rub bottles and marinades. He probably actually thinks I'm Cookin my chicken with McCormick garlic, chile and cumin! Amd marinade in texas pepper jelly rib candy Lol we got 3rd again he didn't place again. Brisket looks aweeesuuuum!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cooked my last brisket on the UDS at 300 Fat cap down,I do 50/50 ksalt & course grind wrap at 4 hrs in BP. Not that it matters except for apearance but I get a good ring

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #41
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to say, I don't much care for celery salt in my rub anymore. I used to use it, a lot, then less, than even less and then none, and that was the right amount for me. I tell folks that if they wanted a ring, they shoulda got married. I smoke meat, sometimes there is a smoke ring, sometimes not.

I would not walk away from that point, for sure.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Best part of a brisket if you ask me or any Texan that loves them some peppery smokey fatty beefy brisket. Anyone know one?

The idiot that came over bothering you, ya shoulda stuck a foot in his arse. I had a drunk baffoon come over and try take over my chicken prep and "show me something" because "he has cooked In the rodeo" at my last comp. I almost tied his fatt butt in a knot when he tore one of my breast skins. I got real pissed at that point and said a few choice words and demanded he leave my site and never return. He was just shiggin! Good thing I switch out all my rub bottles and marinades. He probably actually thinks I'm Cookin my chicken with McCormick garlic, chile and cumin! Amd marinade in texas pepper jelly rib candy Lol we got 3rd again he didn't place again. Brisket looks aweeesuuuum!
THx brother, seriously man I like to drink and bbq but dam the nerve of some people just amazes me, I've got a friend of 16yrs that does nothing more then drink with me and watch what I do just about ever cook he's 6'3 350#, he stood up out of his chair and put his beer down to assess the situation but without hands, keith sotne no longer bothered us again

The scary SOB( I do feed the beast as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I cooked my last brisket on the UDS at 300 Fat cap down,I do 50/50 ksalt & course grind wrap at 4 hrs in BP. Not that it matters except for apearance but I get a good ring
Good looking brisket, your my boy Blu that is a perty ring, I'm almost out of my dirty d rub and have been writing down the amount of ksalt on every batch, so I'm upin the dosage on the next one. I still want to try celery seed like Q-Dat has mentioned in some past post I know it's my salt amount though.

Last edited by AustinKnight; 02-18-2013 at 11:47 PM..
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #43
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cloooooose myyyyy eyes... only for a moment... then the moment's gone. You're his boy, Blu. You're his boy!

Great looking brisket mang, smoke rings are overrated.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #44
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
I cloooooose myyyyy eyes... only for a moment... then the moment's gone. You're his boy, Blu. You're his boy!

Great looking brisket mang, smoke rings are overrated.
NIce lol I had to do it

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #45
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post

Point is the best. Only part of a packer I eat. I know folks say I want it lean - that means off the flat - but not me. I want point!! And lots of bark!
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote