MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

Default Beef top sirloin roast. What should I have done?

So I smoked a beef top sirloin roast on the uds last week and it was ok but it wasn't great cause some of it was melt in your mouth like prime rib but most was real chewy. I took it off the uds at 147*. Too early?

Last edited by SmokinFatties; 03-29-2013 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Too many words
SmokinFatties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

I'd say too late. I'd have pulled it at about 125, wrapped it and let it rest and let the carryover take it to 130-135. I'd rather err on the rare side.

Next time consider doing a reverse sear. Take it to about 110-115 on the smoke, pull it off, wrap it in foil to hold it. Crank the heat up, or transfer to a hot grill, unwrap, and put the roast back on the heat just long enough to brown it up on all sides. The sear will bring the internal temp up to your desired temp. Recover and rest again, then slice and serve.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
StokeMySmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnin Querve View Post

I'd say too late. I'd have pulled it at about 125
Couldn't agree more, that meat has practically no fat so no advantage to cooking it a long time. Pull it at 125, let it rest for a short time (10-15 min) and slice it relatively thin, it will be fantastic!
StokeMySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

Nice. That's what I'll do then. Lookin forward to the next one now.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Both.Either cook it like a steak,or carry it on up to pulled beef temps by braising.I often pitch in a sirloin roast with a chuck roast for pulled beef.Awesome.If you want sliced,take the advice above.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnin Querve View Post
I'd say too late. I'd have pulled it at about 125, wrapped it and let it rest and let the carryover take it to 130-135. I'd rather err on the rare side.

Next time consider doing a reverse sear. Take it to about 110-115 on the smoke, pull it off, wrap it in foil to hold it. Crank the heat up, or transfer to a hot grill, unwrap, and put the roast back on the heat just long enough to brown it up on all sides. The sear will bring the internal temp up to your desired temp. Recover and rest again, then slice and serve.

Chris
Yep^^^^^^^^!!!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

what was the starting weight? I cook whole aprox 18 to 22 pounds..I only go to internal 125* butt the problem you are experiencing is the way it was sliced OR the meat was not tender to begin with..try to wet age first...
when you slice you have to watch for the grain pattern and chase it around while slicing..watch the grain slice and bite into the slice..

Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

IMO, anything past med rare is gonna make a sirloin roast eat like leather. I agree with removing from heat at 125, and resting for at least 30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute before slicing/serving.

On cooking it like a brisket or chuck roast.. meh.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great place has great advice!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
IMO, anything past med rare is gonna make a sirloin roast eat like leather. I agree with removing from heat at 125, and resting for at least 30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute before slicing/serving.

On cooking it like a brisket or chuck roast.. meh.
Yup, yup^^^^

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I cooked a 6.5 lb sirloin roast yesterday and pulled it at 127 The butcher did a great job for me He even tied the trimmed fat on it so it would melt/baste the roast while cooking at 335 degrees Plan to slice and freeze today
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote