MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pre-made rubs/sauces

How many of you mix up your rubs and mixes before heading to the comps? Been watching Pit Masters and Smoked and some youtubes ... and noticed that some teams do and others make everything there on the spot.

I've always made my rubs in advance and vacuum sealed them in a Foodsaver container, usually only keeping them for about a month or so. Sauces I usually make 24-48 hours in advance.

When I start getting into competing I figure my rubs and sauces will be made a day or two before and I'll bring the ingredients to make more and/or make adjustments.

So I'm curious as to what y'all do.

Thanks,
G

Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
EMTTLC
On the road to being a farker

When all is going well, rubs, sauces, and injections are made prior to arrival at the comp. Rubs and sauces, I will make enough for a month at a time. Injections, one comp at a time, two if thy are on back to back week ends. Every spring I start with new seasonings.
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Just remember TV isn't real life..I guarantee those guys or most of them come to a comp with everything already made.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
Just remember TV isn't real life..I guarantee those guys or most of them come to a comp with everything already made.
guaranteed. although, this season, and some of last seem to be alot of caterer's restauranteurs, not so much actual circuit competitors. so i guess ya never know. but i've never seen anyone mix a rub on site. on purpose anyway.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Granny's Gang Barbeque
Got Wood.

Sauces and Marinades / Injections are all made ahead of time. I treat them like a good stew that always tastes better the next day. I want all the flavors to come together and get happy happy happy. Only time can achieve this. Rubs, I also make ahead of time. It’s just easier to work in your own kitchen. Put the rubs into zip lock bags, and away you go.
On a side note, I also keep basic rub ingredients (Kosher Salt, Raw Sugar, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder) in my competition pantry. Just in case something needs tweaking.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny's Gang Barbeque View Post
Sauces and Marinades / Injections are all made ahead of time. I treat them like a good stew that always tastes better the next day. I want all the flavors to come together and get happy happy happy. Only time can achieve this. Rubs, I also make ahead of time. It’s just easier to work in your own kitchen. Put the rubs into zip lock bags, and away you go.
On a side note, I also keep basic rub ingredients (Kosher Salt, Raw Sugar, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder) in my competition pantry. Just in case something needs tweaking.
I do the exact thing.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

We normally prep meats on site, as my job is unpredictable in terms of travel, so there is no way I can do that on a regular basis. We do, however, always make injections, rubs, and sauces ahead. Like Big Matt said, some of this stuff is being done for TV. It's more fun to watch someone make a rub than to have them pull it out of a storage box. It doesn't mean that is what they normally would do.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

probably done for tv to show the process and have something else to talk about. I come with all my stuff ready to go.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A lot of us that compete don't make our rubs and sauces. We use commercially available rubs and sauces. I bet at least 50% of the teams use Blues Hog as their pork or rib glaze.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

We have all of our stuff ready ahead of time.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I bet at least 50% of the teams use Blues Hog as their pork or rib glaze.
Maybe in NE, but it is getting rather rare in the Southeast. Judges down here are tired of BH masking the flavor of the meat.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

i figured the show had them mix those rubs for educational purposes just like the second episode they had everyone making sauce..make ahead of time is the way to go!
Resesgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

From the shows I figured it was more for the entertainment and some education - giving people a rough idea of what they use. For me - my education has come from this forum and practice.

I have seen and read about so many different rubs and mixes and tried many. Mixed and modified a few too. Now I have several I love! Just have to remember that the flavor you cook in comps is for the judges and may or may not be for the home preferences.

Again thanks everyone for their feedback. I'll keep making my stuff in advanced and bring the basics for tweaking if needed.

Side note - how many of you bring a Vacuum Sealer with you?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
From the shows I figured it was more for the entertainment and some education - giving people a rough idea of what they use. For me - my education has come from this forum and practice.

I have seen and read about so many different rubs and mixes and tried many. Mixed and modified a few too. Now I have several I love! Just have to remember that the flavor you cook in comps is for the judges and may or may not be for the home preferences.

Again thanks everyone for their feedback. I'll keep making my stuff in advanced and bring the basics for tweaking if needed.

We do all our prepping including trimming and making rubs/sauces at home. Vac seal at home and then Friday before we leave go through the checklist.

Never saw a need to have a vac sealer on site.

Although I have only done 2 but we are already finding stuff we thought we need but were wrong so out of the bins or truck bed it goes.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
We do now, but mainly for handling leftovers safely.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote