MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Default Can you cure pork belly too long?

Can you cure pork belly for bacon too long? If so, what would be the result?

Thanks.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are curing it is a bed of dry cure, yes, it will eventually become so dry, it won't be good to eat. In a wet cure, no, because the salts are eventually going to balance, and you will reach a state where the brine and the meat are the same salinity. So as long as you are using a balanced wet cure, it will be fine.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by landarc; 02-12-2013 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Sp
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks. I am curing with dry rub seasoning in a vacuum sealed bag. There is a lot of liquid in the bag now as it has been curing for 7 days.

The belly I purchased already had the skin removed and is about 2" thick at the thickest point.

I do plan on taking it out tomorrow evening and starting the soaking process. I plan on soaking for 24 hours (changing water every 8 hours).

Also, how long can I leave it in the fridge to "set-up"? Right ow, I LAN on letting it set-up for 2 days (I will not be able to put it it the smoker until then.). Is this too long?

Thanks again!

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
landarc

As long as it stays cold, you will be fine. If you used real cure, then you are fine as well. Even though you started with a dry cure, since you put it in a bag, it ends up being a wet-cure.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

My rule of thumb for bacon (no skin) is 3-4 days dry cure, 2 hour soak out and 2 days dry. Then smoke with hickory @ 225F until 150F internal. Foil and chill right away. Slice in the next day or two. Canadian Bacon is exactly the same 'cept it gets a 24 hour soak out. Anything more than a 2 hour soak out for my bacon and it seems to remove too much salt. I do like it a bit salty... YMMV. Cheers!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that you'll be fine. Although I subscribe to the 2 1/2 days per inch of thickness for curing. It may be a little firmer than normally, but it shouldn't be ruined yet.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Boshizzle

I have no idea. My Dad used to keep smoked bacon in the smoke house all year round. Outside of a 24 hour cold smoke, it never came out of the smoke house until it was sliced and cooked.

Interesting question. I'll check with my Dad for more details. I guess his old school method is different than what is being taught in books nowadays. We all ate it all the time while I grew up and no one ever got sick and it was always delicious.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

You can overcure, all that'll happen is that the meat will take on an almost pearlescent hue to it as opposed to the deep pinky red that we like.

It's also called "Cure Burn" nothing wrong with the meat, it just doesn't look as good....and yes, I know this 'cos I have done it....once!!!!
(left a small pork loin in a dry cure for a month to see what would happen!)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the feedback.

Going to get them out and start the water soaking in a few minutes.

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"