MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Default My Weekend Cook

Picked up the meat last night on the way home from the Movies. Got up this AM and rubbed the meat down, lit the chimney to get the coals ready.

Been smoking the Pork Butt for 7 hours as of this moment. the meat has been stuck at 140 for a few hours.

Been religously spraying the meat every hour, and keeping the internal pit temp at 200 - 240 degrees.

Using a mixture of Dr. Pepper, Pickle Juice, and Apple Juice.

How long is this lump of my money gonna stay stuck!!!. Planning on foiling at 165, not sure as to what I do next. Any tips?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
icemn62
Babbling Farker

The temp is climbing. Just did a check, the smoker is holding at 200 degrees, but the internal temp is finally going up. 159 and rising.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemn62
The temp is climbing. Just did a check, the smoker is holding at 200 degrees, but the internal temp is finally going up. 159 and rising.
At the lower temps (if you are at 200) the meat will cook much slower simply due to the difference in temps between the meat and the smoker.
If you want to push it down in time--kick up the heat to 240-250 or so--or go ahead and foil the meat!!!
No problem either way.
You will love it when you are done!

When you use the lower 200 temp range for cooking, you can get some really long cook times. But, a fine product when you are done.

For Pork, the mid 200's (235-260) work fine and shorten the cook time a lot! Still a fine product!

FWIW

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Found out I am still in "stuck zone." My son moved the therm as a "joke." Everybody thinks it is funny, but wait till I get done and they don't get any.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

Old 07-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

THat'll teach em!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Finally put the Butt in the cooler. These people are looking at me like, when are we going to eat? I am thinking, when you go to McDonalds and get some food. It smelled great when I put it in the cooler. The last one I did was so long ago all of this seems new to me.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

Old 07-09-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
icemn62
Babbling Farker

I knew it was not gonna last long in the cooler. Pulled it from the cooler and shredded the meat. Daughter made french fries, and I got to sit back and watch the family and friends destroy my days hard work. The best part of BBQing is sitting at a quiet table and watching everybody eat. Today was a fun day.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

Old 07-10-2005, 01:22 AM   #8
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats Iceman! That IS the best, isn't it? You go through all that hard work, not really sure how it's going to turn out, and then everybody TEARS INTO IT like it's great, and you just sit back and think, wow that was cool... Way to go Bro!!

"And remember.... the most important safety rule, is to wear these safety glasses" Norm Abram, Master Carpenter

Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical offset
18 1/2" Weber Kettle, Brinkmann Charcoal Smoker
Bradley Pellet Smoker, cinder block smoker
dapittboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Ice, sounds like a perfect saturday. 'grats Bro.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 05:08 AM   #10
Aeynghus
Full Fledged Farker

My favorite thing to hear someone say about my Q is "I think I'll go get a little more."
[font=Comic Sans MS]Camel Dung Fueled Campfire.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Schmoaking Monkey.
[size=2][b][i]"If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?"[/i][/b][/size]
[/font]
Aeynghus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #11
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Mmmm, ............. nothing like a Q`d piece of pig! Good job!

What works best for me when wanting an internal temp to rise is to get it closer to the heat sorce. In my Bandera, I just lower it to the bottom rack for a half hour or so.
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Electric Vertical Smoker
- Little Chief Electric Fish Smoker x2
- Char-Broil Komander
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Going to throw on a 9# pork center loin today. I cut it in half and marinated it with Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, Woresteschire, Dale's, Cranberry Juice, and dry vermouth. I'm using a couple of hot Italian sausage links in the half that is mostly "white meat" trying Bill's trick of cutting an X in the ends then stuffing two frozen sausages in the middle of the loin. Also going to throw on a 2# Bob Evans fatty-Twisterz mod and some ABT's.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grill, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The best part of BBQing is sitting at a quiet table and watching everybody eat. Today was a fun day.
I can relate to that Icemn. Nothing better than sitting back and watching everybody else enjoy the fruits of your labor. If I do eat, I'm always the last one but usually I don't even eat a regular plate. Between snacking on stuff all day making sure it's right and being almost through a 12 pack so I'm pretty full as it is.

The most memorable thing I can remember at one of my cooks is somebody saying, "I thought we were making "to go" plates. There's nothing left here but a little bit of slaw and potato salad." Music to my ears!!

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
"I thought we were making "to go"
That's when you smile and say "You want 'to go' it's $8.00 a quart for the pork and $15.00 per rack for the ribs. What do you think this is? A restaurant?" :D

Just kidding: sort of! I send food home with friends but I don't overcook to the point everyone is looking for a 'go bag' either!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Got a couple of beef roasts whacked off the last cow we had butchered and a chicken from the local Food-4-Felons (best place in Wichita for 'Q meat). Just getting the beef on, and I think I will let the chicken age a bit in the marinade before puttin' it on. This evening we should have some pretty good eatin'. Oh $hit, I forgot to get a couple of fatties while I was at the store. Oh well....fark the fatties.....now where did I set my Guinness.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote