MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

Default First ribs this weekend

Okay, I've cooked ribs on a gasser before with moderate success.

After doing a lot of reading I think I'm ready to do some real ribs on my Char-Griller Outlaw. I think I'm going to go to Costco and pick up some spares.

I think I have a good understanding of what to do to control the temp on my CG. I don't have the sfb so the coals will go in the main chamber and I don't have a basket yet. I did add two aftermarket temp gagues after reading how terrible the stock one is on the CG.

I have two different kinds of charcoal. A bag of regular Kingsford and a bag of Royal Oak Lump. Should I just use one or perhaps a mix? The only wood I have right now is some Hickory chunks. Do the wood chunks need to be soaked in water at all or just tossed in the coals?

I've done some searching to find a good basic rub, but there are so many. I have "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", so I might just use that rub recipie unless someone has a suggestion.

My goal is to keep the temp around 250* until done. I don't plan on foiling or saucing (I like sauce on the side).

My Wife and kids are going to be out of town so I'm doing this more as a test so when I do cook some for them, I'll know what to expect.

If you have any tips or links to some threads/sites/vids, feel free. I'm trying to absorb as much as I can at this point. I'm sure no matter what I do, they will still be tasty even if I have submerge them in sauce because even shoe leather can taste good if it's covered in BBQ sauce, lol.
El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd just bank the coals to the side and the ribs on the other side opposite the air intake. Just throw the chunks on the charcoal no soaking is necessary. Lump or briquettes would work. Keep plenty of beer around and relax. I'm sure you'll get some better answers from some CG guys soon. Good luck! I just use commercial rubs btw.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

^^^ What Al said ^^^ Plus try to keep it simple the first time. Too many variables can make it hard to track down a problem. Cheers!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ditto on don't bother soaking the wood. It really doesn't soak up anything. If you are cooking multiple racks I'd suggest maybe trying a few different rubs and compare. I always liked messing around when I first started cooking ribs. And still do :). I do foil my ribs, but found it isn't necessary, but maybe something to try later on. Sometimes instead of foiling I will simply put a little brown sugar and honey on the ribs maybe during the 4th hour if I want them sweet. Have fun.
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

Well, I have the ribs prepped and ready to go for tomorrow. Temps outside and the threat of rain scare me a bit, but I'll do my best.

Here's the rub I'm going to go with:
10 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage

Last edited by El Scorcho; 04-23-2011 at 12:27 AM..
El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
BBQCurious
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've found that the regular charcoal tends to provide a more consistent and long-lasting heat, while the lump burns hotter and cleaner. As a result, I typically use a mix of the two.

If you're looking to produce ribs that don't require sauce, the sugar in your run should produce a very nice crust worthy of stand-alone eating. Just beware of getting the heat too high.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

So the cook has begun. Temps are running high though. Damper is completely closed and temp is up to 320. Stock cg thermo reads 250.

Oh, and I thew on a fatty as well. Just straight up with the rub on it.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

Well temp is now up to 350. Must be all the air gaps in the CG. Any ideas on hw to get the temp down?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck El Scorcho.
(PS....DIG that username!)

Kick back.....sip beers......watch temp and add coals as necessary.
You'll be fine.

You know the bend test, yes?
I like ribs on the smoke/heat for about 4 hours (at 275). If you manage to keep things about 225, it may take longer.

Keep the camera handy.....WE NEED PRON....

Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

At the one hour mark. Fatty is alredy at 155*. Here's some pron!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

I think I figured out part of my temp issue. I had a big chunk of hickory burning out of control. I removed it and my temps dropped down to 300* after it spiked to almost 400*!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

They do look like that are cooking hot, keep your temps down. How are you measuring the temp at the grate?
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

With this:

I'm glad I'm doing this "test" run. I'm learning a lot about my CG. Hopefully the early hig temps don't ruin these ribs.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

That therm is probably not going to be very accurate and, even if it is, the grate temp could be 50F hotter.

I'd definitely slow it down quite a bit.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

I'm trying to slow it down. Temp control is proving to be a challenge on this cooker, lol. A great way to learn I guess.