Hot wings/bbq wings

Butcher BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Okay will be cooking next week for a friend of mine who's son is graduating from high school. We will be having ribs, pulled pork sliders, Smoked BBQ hot wings, bbq beans, creamy smooooothhhh mashed potatoes, side salad, full sheet cake, and drinks.

My question is the Graduate loves my ribs so thats why he is getting them, the dad loves wings, so I need a good bbq hot wing sauce to serve or cook them in. Any ideas?

Rub them with simply marvelous (any flavor) and smoke the for a couple of hours and then put them in a bowl with franks hot sauce and a little bit of honey, cover them and let them steam in the sauce for about 30 minutes, keep shaking the bowl to keep them mixed up

What he said ^.

Franks hot sauce mixed with a bit of honey is how I like to roll with the chickie wangs.

Sometimes a bit of Shricha hot sauce added to the mix will kick it up a notch.

David-
Try this-it goes great with your Honey Rub!!

Sauce
1 - 18 oz Orange Marmalade
1/3 cup - honey
1/3 cup - brown sugar
1/3 cup - Sriracha Sauce
Bring to a boil and remove from heat

Baste sauce on wings or toss to coat!

I use either a spicy rub/sweet sauce or the opposite combo. cook the in the FEC until up to temp toss them in the sauce then throw them on a hot grill to finish them, carmelize up the sauce a little bit.

Did some the last night actually. I rubbed them with 1 tbsp Yardbird, 1 tsp chipotle powder then used some Blues Hog Honey Mustard... they were money

Those orange marmalade sriracha hot wings are always a big hit in our home. They leave a sticky mess on your grill so use lots of foil to line the bottom..:D

That recipe sounds good I have a graduation to do also and they asked for some wings I'll have to give this a try..........

Franks is our preference here as well. We follow their butter portions and thin, just a little with chicken broth, add a couple dashes of worsty, and glaze on the grill the last 15 minutes. Oh, first marinate in Italian dressing for a couple of hours and then a nice coating of Plowboys before going on the grill at about 350 for an hour total. Good eats. Lot of good advise here and this is just our way.
Edit: actually, my bride and several other friends prefer just the plain Plowboys without the Franks sauce. I love the Franks hot sauce so we do about half and half.

Sounds like some good suggestions already, I may even try a couple.

What I have been doing is placing the Wings into a large Ziplock and pour in the Franks Buffalo. Put it in the fridge and let is marinate for 8-12 hours.

Here's our wing sauce (good for 10+lbs of wings)

1 stick melted butter
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 C ea Sriracha and Franks, add or subtract as needed for quantity or taste. I've never actually measured I just eyeball it.

Cook however you like then toss wing in sauce and serve

David-
Try this-it goes great with your Honey Rub!!

Sauce
1 - 18 oz Orange Marmalade
1/3 cup - honey
1/3 cup - brown sugar
1/3 cup - Sriracha Sauce
Bring to a boil and remove from heat

Baste sauce on wings or toss to coat!

Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree or Lemon Pepper is also a good base for the Sriracha sauce!

Hot sauce and butter. Franks is good, so is Crystal.

The food editor of the local paper has asked me to do wings for an article he's writing on using soda in cooking. The recipe is for the oven, but I'm not the BakinFool and I don't own the domain name BakinFools.com.

1 large bottle Franks/Louisiana/Crystal hot sauce (whichever you prefer)
1 2 liter of orange soda

Combine the two, and reduce to the consistency of syrup. In the mean time, brown the chicken wings in butter, baste with sauce and finish in a 400 degree oven.

I'm thinking of smoking them indirect while basting with butter, then searing over the heat to crisp up the skin, slather with the sauce, move over to the other side of the grill to caramelize for 20-30 and serve.

He's got some burger recipe with soda too, but I have no idea what that is yet.

If you want to try something different and enjoy an Asian flavor profile, here's a recipe I came up with a couple weeks ago for Asian glazed chicken wings. This uses our Secret Weapon rub as a flavor base on the wings before the glaze is applied, but you're welcome to use any good chicken rub you'd like in it's place.

For the wings, I first clipped the wing tips off with kitchen shears then lightly coated them in olive oil and liberally dusted them with our Secret Weapon rub on both sides. Next I let them rest in the fridge on a baking sheet while the rub setup and dissolved (about 30 minutes).

Meanwhile, I fired up the WSM with lump and some oak and hickory for flavor. Then, I cooked them in them for 2 hours at an average temp of 250º. I brushed them with the HOT glaze at the 2-hour mark and let them continue to cook in the smoker for an additional 10 minutes.

That's it. Here's the Asian glaze recipe...

Oakridge BBQ Asian Glaze Recipe

1 cup Mae Ploy Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
1½ Tbsp Koon Chun Hoisin Sauce
1 Tbsp Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon rub
1-2 tsp Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce

Mix all ingredients in small sauce pan and bring to a slow boil on the stove.

Prepare this glaze during the last 15 minutes of cooking time for your chicken. Brush HOT glaze on chicken liberally and allow glaze to set while meat is still on the grill. This should take no more than 10 minutes.

Resource links to the ingredients I used. I have no association with this website, they just happened to have all the same ingredients that I get from my local Asian market.

Chili Sauce -> http://www.importfood.com/samp1001.html

Hoisin Sauce -> http://importfood.com/sakc1501.html

Fish Sauce -> http://importfood.com/satc2401.html

Let me know how this turns out if you try it. They were very, very good.

Mike

I am a big fan of smokin the wings, then doing a quick deep fry to get a crisp skin with saucing right after. Heck, turkey fryers are a great way to fry chicken.

1 cup franks 1 tbl of butter 2 cups favorite sauce. rub lightly sprinkle cayenne then cover with McCormics roasted garlic and herb . 300 onthe good one over the heat about 30 mins tossing and turning until skin is rinderd sauce toss and turn 10 min.

Back