• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where do you get your wood chunks?

I have a stick burner. I am constantly on the lookout for free wood, like on Craigslist. I got a whole pear tree for free(I had to cut it down), last fall. I also got some white oak for free. I had a couple apple trees that I cut down after maintenance proved too much for my schedule.

here its either the local orchard supply store that carries the weber stuff or the truevalue store in fresno calif that carries the weber stuff. hd and lowes or wal mart will sometimes carry an assortment. you also can find places that will send some to you.

Cherry, maple, walnut from my yard. Apple from a "free wood" listing on CL. Hickory and oak walking around the neighborhood following a terrible storm.

Mesquite from Menards (IIRC) as it doesn't grow around here.

HEB & WALLY WORLD for Hickory, Pecan, Post Oak & Mesquite I cut the standing dead wood.

Bought a 1/2 cord of oak for my stick burner, i make my own.

If i need hickory, we have a great bbq joint here that supplies me with all my needs.

Is Fruita and smokinlicious expensive compared to HD/Ace/lowe's?

Yes, but you can smell the difference in the wood. If you are cooking on a stick burner it probably is cost prohibitive. If you are just using it for flavor on charcoal you can't go wrong. I get the mini splits and they last a long time.

I have some live oak, pecan and red oak chunks that came from local tree pruning.

But, I get good chunks for a good price at Academy. I've been buying them for years, and have been very happy with the product, and the price is reasonable if you live in the burbs, as I do.

CD

In Las Vegas we have a whole store dedicated to wood and charcoal. And it's only 15 min from my house!

Just got 2 truck loads of apple from a friend, all I had to do was go load it, he even cut it up for me. I see some bbq in his future.

Back