MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Why are ribs sexy?

It seems like out of all the competition meats, ribs are the sexiest. Everybody wants to cook ribs and everyone wants to eat them. In most contests, the point differential is the smallest between all of the people that place in ribs. No one ever seems to win ribs by a landslide.

Anybody have an ideas about this phenomenon?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

It's the most primal meat. Pick up with your hands and tear into with your teeth meat. Suck the cooked on sauce off your fingers meat. Gnaw on the bone meat.

It's caveman meat. Fred Flinstone had what delivered at the drive in? Weren't chicken.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Im with Prof Salt. It finger food. People love finger food. Its another sence that you use in eating. Chicek is sometheing that most people can cook so it dosent come off as sexy. But a good rib cooker well that a good thing.

Side note: I know there are Brrethren that have not master knife and fork skills, so they would call all BBQ finger food.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's comfort food!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Spurhunter
Got Wood.

I would say because they are the easiest to screw-up, and when done right, man.......get me a strecher, cause i anit gonna be able to walk after a good pile-o-ribs! LOL

Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Ribs are sexy because they along with chicken are BBQ to most people. Ever hear of a McBrisket? How about a Wendy's pulled pork?

Paula Dean is sexy for 2 reasons, cream and butter........LOL

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

not sure but most peolple love my team name

22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Best Use of Cat in Team Logo mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaway View Post
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

They just look better. Thin cut, shiny glaze, they just look great!

Last edited by ZILLA; 06-01-2008 at 09:09 AM..
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Admin note:
scrubbed and returned to ON-Topic forum. keep it on track folks.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
Rick's Tropical Delight

for me, it's just not ribs, but ALL food and especially anything cook on a pit

so it can be said for ribs as well, that ribs sustain us. ribs activate every one of our senses; touch, taste, smell, sight, hearing

touch: grabbing a rib and having the sauce gently coat your fingers is sensual. sucking the sauce off each and every finger is sensory overload

taste: biting into the tender flesh and the sweet, smokey flavor coats every membrane in your mouth awakening and arousing every taste bud

smell: along with taste, the sweet smell of ribs smoking on the pit. you move to get into the smell zone and you are tingling with the anticipation of what is to come

sight: just one look of a glistening, well slathered slab is enuf to bring you to your knees

hearing: can you 'hear' ribs? well maybe not the rib itself, but you can hear others respond to the sight of ribs when you uncover a pan of several slabs of ribs and they gasp in utter pleasure at what they are about to receive. you can hear the moans and groans as the relentless feeding frenzy begins... and then in the end, every sense is satisfied

Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Wow Rick !!! I think we need to get you a private room so you can have some alone time with those ribs !!!

Seriously - very well thought out.

Mista - Another reason could be that ribs have the most consistent flavor profile. I think the other three categories probably see the most experimentation as far as marinades, injections, dry rubs, times etc. that can alter taste.

Just speculation but I also think a lot of teams may be using similar sauces in full or as a base(ex. Blues Hog, Head Country, KC Masterpiece, Cattlemans).
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 06-01-2008 at 10:57 AM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Seriously I believe it all has to do with advertising chains use ribs to bring people into their place. And also it wasn't too many years ago that a lot of BBQ joints in the Midwest only served ribs then chicken you hardly even found beef in a BBQ joint unless you were in the deep south then it was pulled pork then ribs.
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote