MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lightbulb Starting a New Comp - LONG

Suddenly, I find myself lucky enough to be part of a small group of guys that is going to start a new competition from the ground up!

One guy has comp experience
One guy represents the City and eats BBQ
One guy represents the City, is a KCBS member, and is one of the Brethren (guess who)

The idea is to start small and easy and work up towards full-blown event status in the second or third year, based on successful growth each year. We’ve got a great venue with a large, permanent, metal-over-asphalt pavilion, surrounded by lots of grass and trees. We think the setting may attract as many as the shot at a prize will. Starting small, we’re looking at gathering OKC metro Q’ers who wouldn’t mind dragging their pits across town for some fun. We certainly won’t exclude anyone who knows what they’re doing, though!

I’m the one who will provide the framework so I have a couple of (thousand) questions. Can you hepp a bruddah out? If there’s a place where I can go to find a “competition start-up kit” that would be great. Otherwise, I’d sure appreciate some wisdom from my brothers & sisters.

Judging
- We thought about using a People’s Choice format until we realized the competitors would be cooking for hundreds or thousands of people! Not good.
- We plan to pull judges from the city, and I don’t think we’ll have trouble finding six, but would a panel of four or five be enough in a pinch?
- I see no reason to differ from KCBS rules for judging/scoring.

Meats/Recipes
- We had talked about keeping this simple, but why? If we’re ‘in training’ to be a KCBS event, why not train our competitors too? The standard four meats and a dessert, I think. Maybe a sauce competition?

Rules
- Can we use KCBS rules, modified to fit our non-sanctioned event? I mean, why change them – they work!

Schedule
- The plan, as it stands, is to allow teams to arrive Friday evening, before quiet hours, have a cook’s meeting in the morning, Saturday, while we’re inspecting cooking areas and meat, then have turn-ins that afternoon, followed by awards, music, etc. Teams could roll out before noon on Sunday.
- I am thinking we can spread the turn-in times apart a little bit to go easy on the teams. We can tighten them up the next year.

Prizes
- We’re going to challenge local Q joints to sponsor our event to make it worthwhile for people to enter. The City can probably put up some funds as an investment (returns probable after successful succeeding years).
- I have NO idea how much to offer – or how many places to award! Cash and a trophy for the first three in each category? Should we award a GC? Does the GC get the most money/biggest trophy?

Food Safety
- My City partner will contact the Health Department, but he thinks we won’t need to have separate washing, rinsing, and sanitizing stations at each cooking location because we’re not selling food. I’m not so sure…
- Should we inspect the meat for proper temperatures before cook start and sometime during the day for safety?

Taking Care of the Competitor
- How much to charge each team to enter?
- Power and water supplied by City as part of fee
- Is security usually provided at competitions?
- Keep the public out of cook areas!!!!
- Enforce KCBS rules on quiet time, etc.

Handling the Public
- Should/does the public get charged to enter a comp to ‘sniff around’ and watch?
- I think we should issue tickets, regardless of the existence of a fee, to keep track of how many people show up.
- I thought we could print up a sheet of rules to be given with the entry ticket that explains the do’s and don’ts on one side and a venue map on the back. Thoughts?

I’m sure I’ve forgotten entire issues, but that’s why I need some help. Thanks for the time!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Judging
- We thought about using a People’s Choice format until we realized the competitors would be cooking for hundreds or thousands of people! Not good. (Probably not good with a bunch of inexperienced competitors. Most probably won't have enough grill space to accomodate.)

- We plan to pull judges from the city, and I don’t think we’ll have trouble finding six, but would a panel of four or five be enough in a pinch?(Depends on how many teams you have. 20 teams and 4 judges? They would explode.)

- I see no reason to differ from KCBS rules for judging/scoring.(Nothing wrong with using a modified version .)

Meats/Recipes
- We had talked about keeping this simple, but why? If we’re ‘in training’ to be a KCBS event, why not train our competitors too? The standard four meats and a dessert, I think. Maybe a sauce competition? (New teams might not be ready for an overnight cook. Maybe Chicken, Ribs, tri-tip( or your local steak type meat) and anything but.)

Rules
- Can we use KCBS rules, modified to fit our non-sanctioned event? I mean, why change them – they work! (Kelly Macintosh of the cbbqa has a great modified KCBS program that we use for Backyard comps. If you like, I can put you in touch with him.)

Schedule
- The plan, as it stands, is to allow teams to arrive Friday evening, before quiet hours, have a cook’s meeting in the morning, Saturday, while we’re inspecting cooking areas and meat, then have turn-ins that afternoon, followed by awards, music, etc. Teams could roll out before noon on Sunday.
- I am thinking we can spread the turn-in times apart a little bit to go easy on the teams. We can tighten them up the next year.

Prizes
- We’re going to challenge local Q joints to sponsor our event to make it worthwhile for people to enter. The City can probably put up some funds as an investment (returns probable after successful succeeding years).
- I have NO idea how much to offer – or how many places to award! Cash and a trophy for the first three in each category? Should we award a GC? Does the GC get the most money/biggest trophy? (Talk to Thom Emery about this.)

Food Safety
- My City partner will contact the Health Department, but he thinks we won’t need to have separate washing, rinsing, and sanitizing stations at each cooking location because we’re not selling food. I’m not so sure…
- Should we inspect the meat for proper temperatures before cook start and sometime during the day for safety?

Taking Care of the Competitor
- How much to charge each team to enter?
- Power and water supplied by City as part of fee
- Is security usually provided at competitions?
- Keep the public out of cook areas!!!!
- Enforce KCBS rules on quiet time, etc.

Handling the Public
- Should/does the public get charged to enter a comp to ‘sniff around’ and watch?
- I think we should issue tickets, regardless of the existence of a fee, to keep track of how many people show up.
- I thought we could print up a sheet of rules to be given with the entry ticket that explains the do’s and don’ts on one side and a venue map on the back. Thoughts?

(Perhaps you could tie the contest to another established city event, like a fair or some type of parade so you will already have people out and about.)

I’m sure I’ve forgotten entire issues, but that’s why I need some help. Thanks for the time!

Arlin
Just some ideas. Hope they help.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Food Safety

I would require the stations, and meat inspection. You may not be feeding the public, but you are feeding judges. Since you don't know, at this point, how experienced your competitors may or may not be I'd come down on the side of caution.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Plowboy

Go to a couple of contests. Hang with a team. Judge an event. Talk to organizers. This is the best way to gather information for how you want to run things and what your judges, teams, and public will expect.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Come over to Stagecoach You will learn what you need in one weekend
www.stagecoachfestival.com
Why would you not sanction?
I do KCBS and IBCA contests
Peoples Choice Money is good for you and the teams
Who is going to go to an event to watch one guy cook and another eat?
PC sales are helping keep this going in a $4.00 a galon world

Check your PMs

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Come over to Stagecoach You will learn what you need in one weekend
www.stagecoachfestival.com
Why would you not sanction?
I do KCBS and IBCA contests
Peoples Choice Money is good for you and the teams
Who is going to go to an event to watch one guy cook and another eat?
PC sales are helping keep this going in a $4.00 a galon world

Check your PMs

How is PC good for the teams? I assume you mean in an indirect way.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

They get paid money
that is good :)

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Last year last place team at Stagecoach leaves with $750 in cash
at the end of the contest

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Thanks for all inputs so far!

Got your PM, Thom - cell phone has been charging so I can holler atcha. Thanks!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Flaming Pig Head Mod

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Call Merl, PM me if you need his number.

There is a big void for comps in OKC. If you sanction you will do well from year one.

I don't know if we can sell PC like Thom does...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)

Last edited by Jeff Hughes; 03-22-2008 at 10:45 AM..
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
Call Merl, PM me if you need his number.

There is a big void for comps on OKC. If you sanction you will do well from year one.

I don't know if we can sell PC like Thom does...
Please shoot me Merl's number, Jeff. Thom recommended I call him to try and gauge who would come to our little shin-dig. An important detail!

Thom and I talked for a while and he gave me some great ideas and angles - thanks, Thom!

If there's a void in the OKC area and the KCBS fills voids like that then maybe we should just press on. I'm thinking next spring might be a good time period, so we can get our chit together.

Thanks!

Arlin

Flaming Pig Head Mod

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Bigmista

People's choice does work for the competitors. Organization sells a book of 5 sampler tickets plus one voting ticket for $10. People walk around and taste different teams bbq with a ticket. They get a 2 oz. sample. Could be a rib or some pulled pork or some chicken...whatever. People go back and give their voting ticket to the team they liked the best. Team with the most voting tickets wins People's choice trophy.

Here's the kicker:

Teams turn in their sampler tickets for cash at the end of the contest. $1 goes to the team per ticket and the other dollar goes to the organization or to a charity.

People come out and get to eat BBQ instead of just look at it.

Teams get extra cash to cover meat costs and entry fees.

Organization makes some extra cash.

Everyone is happy!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

It sure is working that way
The Teams really get into celebrating
each vote ticket they get

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

If I was at one of these comps, I would love to be able to sample all the teams food. I see it as a winner for the teams, to get some cash out of their initial investment and to see monies raised for the charity du jour.

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Most Guys cook extra Pork Butts to make cash