UDS Burn Complete - Safety/Health Questions

markrvp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I decided to make a UDS so I can drag it around to Boy Scout campouts. got 2 identical drums in case I decide to build a second one (or screw up the first one). They each have this golden coating on the inside.

I drilled out air intake holes in one barrel and did the burnout yesterday. I made a fire so big and hot that Eddie Murphy's uncle Gus would have exclaimed, "NOW THAT'S A FIRE!!!" The golden coating burned away, but the inside of the barrel is now black, kind of like when you season cast iron. I'm not sure what you call the black on the walls, but I'll refer to it as "carbon"

I've gone over the inside a bit with the wire brush attachment on my drill to remove any flaky parts.

The black carbon on the walls is pretty difficult (but not impossible) to remove with the wire brush. The golden coating didn't burn off the bottom, so the shiny spot is where I hit it with the wire brush on my drill. I plan to remove the rest of the golden coating on the bottom completely.

My question is this: Do I have/need to completely remove all the black carbon on the inside with the wire brush? Can I just rub it down with oil and do a seasoning burn with the charcoal basket? If there's a chance what's still in the barrel can make me sick I'll take it to bare metal, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

I'd wire brush it a little more..not that it has to be completely shiny or anything. When you're done wipe it down with some low odor mineral spirits. They sell it at lowes..works great.

Any more Questions just shout.

Yes it must go time to put on the big boy pants. The nasties are still there.

I read some similar threads when I built my UDS and the response I read that really stuck was " Sand it down clean and put the extra work in, you will appreciate it that much more in the end." It was the advice I followed and it has held true.

Back