• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Problems with my smoker

You think a larger diameter exhaust pipe? or just add on to that one?

Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice

Coming from Spicewine, I would say that is about $200 worth of advice.

i had the same thing going.... I scrapped it. Now i am gonna use the double barrel chamber just for pigs, if I get around to it. I like Spicewine's answer, you should try those mods. I'd love to see you get this cooker cookin! Who knows, it might motivate me to finish this one. That thing would look super mean with a big chrome stack!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. It definately helps a lot. Don't know to many around here into these kind of projects. I will keep everyone posted on the project. There is a BBq comp at the end of august I want to have this cooker ready for up until now I was using webers and store model offsets to cook on.

Thanks for the advice guys. It definately helps a lot. Don't know to many around here into these kind of projects. I will keep everyone posted on the project. There is a BBq comp at the end of august I want to have this cooker ready for up until now I was using webers and store model offsets to cook on.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but seriously...if you have access to 55 gal drums like that you REALLY should consider building a UDS since you obviously have fabricating skills. A UDS will really surprise you. Until I cooked on 1...I was skeptical as well. Now that I'm cooking on a UDS I have 3 friends building their own as we speak to replace their cheap-o store bought off-set smokers.

I just dont think the uds has the room that i am trying to achieve. but for and extra smoker for around the house I will definately try that out. It will be my next project. The girlfriend is gonna love seeing me build yet another grill lol.

Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice

Thanks Spice,
I am going to add these mods and will let you know of my progress, thanks.

i had the same thing going.... I scrapped it. Now i am gonna use the double barrel chamber just for pigs, if I get around to it. I like Spicewine's answer, you should try those mods. I'd love to see you get this cooker cookin! Who knows, it might motivate me to finish this one. That thing would look super mean with a big chrome stack!!!

I am definately working night and day on this smoker. I will let you know how this works out thanks!

I just dont think the uds has the room that i am trying to achieve. but for and extra smoker for around the house I will definately try that out. It will be my next project. The girlfriend is gonna love seeing me build yet another grill lol.

Yes, but for a lot less work, you could use 2 or 3 UDS's and cook a lot of meat. I mean, unless you're looking to go whole hog. I got 12 racks of baby backs on my UDS this weekend all at once. I could put 6 or 8 butts on there too.

Hell.....what am I saying....I've GOT one and I'm looking as I type this for an offset. You already look like you're on your way, just need some tweaking.

Yeah.....never mind. GO FOR IT!!!:thumb::heh:

Yes, but for a lot less work, you could use 2 or 3 UDS's and cook a lot of meat. I mean, unless you're looking to go whole hog. I got 12 racks of baby backs on my UDS this weekend all at once. I could put 6 or 8 butts on there too.

Hell.....what am I saying....I've GOT one and I'm looking as I type this for an offset. You already look like you're on your way, just need some tweaking.

Yeah.....never mind. GO FOR IT!!!:thumb::heh:

Yeah I got a lot of time in this. I think with all the help I have gained here I can get this project running. I am definately going to try a UDS soon though. I hear all kinds of good things about them on here.

To the more skilled fab'ers in the crowd, please critique. I keep looking at the pic and seeing reverse flow being a good option for this. Flat plate running just short of the length of both barrels at the elevation of the top of the opening from the firebox. Cut off and cap the existing exhaust and make a new, larger, exhaust right above the firebox with the outlet being out the end of the first barrel.

Just want to thank everyone for their ideas! I cut a bigger exhaust in it and also put a new intake in and now she is ready to smoke. Could not have done it without all the input!
I am going to get it painted and will have pics up soon thanks everyone!
Cole

Yeah that is what I think too.

she looks a little loose from the pictures. does it leak alot around those doors? it could be that you are leaking your heat out in so many places that the chimney cant create a draft and pull the heat all the way through your smoke chamber.

my cheap offset has pretty thin steel (about the same as your drums) i have used old wool army blankets on the top to help hold the heat.

heh I should have read through the whole thread. Good to hear you got it working! Now let's see some food pron.

Definitely, I am cooking on it the first time next week. Gonna spend sometime dialing her in.

lol thats like an UDO (Ugly Drum Offset)! Hell as long as you not wasting coal/heat, it running the temps well and it puts out killer food... Light that B!#@# with pride man! :) waiting on the pics of the mods. Glad you got it working!

Cheers

Without reading whole thread, have you vetified thermometers? Try putting a fan blowing/stokingv the intake.

On second look is that valve your intake? If it is it is not near big enough for an offset.

Back