MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

Default A HUGE Thank You to KCBS

I want to send a big THANKS to the KCBS for almost not allowing me to compete in my very first AR Invitational.

We won GC in Tonganoxie this year but the KCBS decided to make the 11th Overall team the GC and send that info to the American Royal people.

The kind people at the Royal called me promptly this morning after sending in my open registration and apologized for the mix up, e-mailed me my invitational registration and said "oh by the way, we need it by tomorrow because that's the deadline".

So, thanks for making my first experience a memorable one! See you at the Royal!
Traeger Junior with upgraded Ortech Digital Therm
#2 La Caja China
SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I work in a highly complex, secure environment where perfect performance is practically required for every little detail . . . but I can tell you, clerical mistakes do happen, and especially when you have human beings involved.

But - Congratulations on the invitation! I'm sure you'll have a blast. Best of luck to you -
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

Just as an FYI, KCBS is not responsible for keeping track of Grand Champions for the Royal or The Jack, it was voted by the BOD to let them do their own tracking.......this takes many man hours of unpaid time...
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
This Is How We Que It
On the road to being a farker

Come on Steer Crazy, your first invite....you should have been all over that! See u at the invite this year, our first one also!
This Is How We Que It is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
Just as an FYI, KCBS is not responsible for keeping track of Grand Champions for the Royal or The Jack, it was voted by the BOD to let them do their own tracking.......this takes many man hours of unpaid time...
Unless the folks at the AR are mistaken, they specifically mentioned the fact that they receive the grand champions information directly from the KCBS. And it's also my understanding that I wasn't the only one who didn't receive notification from the AR due to incorrect information from the KCBS.

I'm not bashing the KCBS, just making light of the situation
#2 La Caja China

Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

It would have been the Contest Organizer's responsibility to inform the AR and JACK.... NOT KCBS. The people at the AR may just have mistaken. This is why you hear about teams not getting their info.... the organizer didn't finish their job.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
It would have been the Contest Organizer's responsibility to inform the AR and JACK.... NOT KCBS. The people at the AR may just have mistaken. This is why you hear about teams not getting their info.... the organizer didn't finish their job.
Thanks for the clarification
#2 La Caja China

Old 08-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Adding an average of 10-12 Grand Champions a week to an Excel spreadsheet shouldn't be that big of a deal. It should be done as a "courtesy" for the KCBS dues paying members and contest organizers who pay sanctioning fees. How many man hours did it take for the office staff to hand out samples and bbq sandwiches at the Extreme Makeover? How many days was the office shut down? How many man hours are used to tally Team of the Year when there's a computer program that can easily do it?

I'm not bashing the office staff WHATSOEVER! My point: Unless someone reads the Bullsheet minutes (which are usually two months behind) or sits and listens to the monthly mp3 of the Bitch Fest, how does one know that KCBS isn't composing said list? All of this just doesn't make any sense.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Adding an average of 10-12 Grand Champions a week to an Excel spreadsheet shouldn't be that big of a deal. It should be done as a "courtesy" for the KCBS dues paying members and contest organizers who pay sanctioning fees. How many man hours did it take for the office staff to hand out samples and bbq sandwiches at the Extreme Makeover? How many man hours are used to tally Team of the Year when there's a computer program that can easily do it?

I'm not bashing the office staff WHATSOEVER! My point: Unless someone reads the Bullsheet minutes (which are usually two months behind) or sits and listens to the monthly mp3 of the Bitch Fest, how does one know that KCBS isn't composing said list? All of this just doesn't make any sense.
El Stephie in 2012!! ok, running to hide now.....
very well stated though, and appreciated
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
I thought what they were left off the hook from was keeping track of state championships not GCs.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

It makes sense that the contest organizers are somewhat at fault, they are the ones who have our personal information (names, address, etc). What happens to those who are not KCBS members, who don't know the rules of getting into the Invitational and do not participate on forums such as this? I'm lucky enough to know the process because of the excellent amount of information I get here. 3 years of competing, only 8 competitions under our belt, how would I know I was supposed to get a letter from the AR stating I qualified for the Invitational? Thanks for the AR threads that provided me the info.
#2 La Caja China

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Unpaid time ? Contests pay a sanctioning fee. Seems to me that's paid time. How much time does it take a contest rep to forward the winners name to the Royal and Jack all of 10 seconds ?
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #13
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Default The Virginian

I just talked to KCBS office (via email), and they do supply the state champion data they have to both the Royal and the Jack. They do not have contact info on non-KCBS teams to pass along, but when a KCBS team wins a qualifier and they have their contact info on file, they give it to the organizers of the Royal and the Jack. I had a problem because we used a new name at the contest we won, and KCBS did not have the name of file (because I never told them). They were very helpful in getting things straightened out, and so was the organizer for the Royal Invitational.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteerCrazy View Post
It makes sense that the contest organizers are somewhat at fault, they are the ones who have our personal information (names, address, etc). What happens to those who are not KCBS members, who don't know the rules of getting into the Invitational and do not participate on forums such as this? I'm lucky enough to know the process because of the excellent amount of information I get here. 3 years of competing, only 8 competitions under our belt, how would I know I was supposed to get a letter from the AR stating I qualified for the Invitational? Thanks for the AR threads that provided me the info.
Organizers dont supply our team lists to anyone. They are ours.

As far as wanting someone who is not a member of an organization wanting that organization to keep track of them doesnt that seem silly? Wouldnt that be reason enough to be a member?
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

It takes 2 seconds to email an organizer and ask for the Grand Champion information if the GC is not a member.

At one point KCBS provided the invitational contests with the GC's from ALL of the different sanctioning bodies. THAT's a lot of work! Just providing the list of your own gc's shouldn't be that big of a deal. I couldnt imagine, in this day of technological advances, that it would be hard to get a non-members info. I wouldn't want to hand over a spreadshet that wasn't complete.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote