Saran Wrap...

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I always see wrap w/ "Saran Wrap", is there a difference if you just cover with wrap in a pan, just currious...

with alum. you never can get a tight seal.

water can't penetrate plastic.

Plastic creates a much tighter seal to help hold in moisture.

Good question, I've been meaning to ask if there is any difference in plastic wraps. I thought I read once that if you were to wrap a butt or brisket with it, it needs to be something different than regular saran wrap. Any idea what I'm talking about?

I get the large restaurant style roll from Costco and plop it down on my kitchen counter, works really well and love the plastic slider for easy cutting. I use this stuff on almost everything. I reach for the HD Foil when it comes time to keep something hot/warm, otherwise it's clear plastic wrap.

I think what you're referring to might just be one of those successful branding campaigns, ie xerox instead of copy, kleenex instead of tissue, both of course regardless of the actual brand of the product.

Keale, I just reread your post. I think what you are asking if there is a difference with wrapping solely in plactic opposed to putting the meat in say a foil pan and covered with wrap. I have wondered the same thing myself. I usually put my briskets in a foil pan at 160 or so and cover the whole pan with foil. Last weekend I wrapping the brisket in foil instead of putting it in a pan. It seemed to be a little more tender and juicy to me. Could be the meat or the difference in method, but I think I'm gonna start wrapping in foil and losing the pan. I have heard of people wrapping in plastic wrap then foil at 160, but I haven't tried it yet myself. I am worried that the plastic wrap will melt. Anyone else wrap their butts or brisket in plastic wrap then in foil while still cooking?

Dickey's BBQ here in Texas (Large Family owned business)
Wrap their meats in Saran wrap only.
They always have moist meat.

i've seen some pron sites where a pan just wouldn't look right!
sorry :icon_blush:

Dickey's BBQ here in Texas (Large Family owned business)
Wrap their meats in Saran wrap only.
They always have moist meat.

SO that's how you do it! You go to Dickey's and buy some BBQ and then tell all of us you smoked it yourself!

BUSTED!

When I wrap my briskets in foil, then finish cooking for 6 -8 hours, I get lots of juice in the foil which I save for making sauce.

I wonder, if you wrapped them tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, if it would hold the juices inside the brisket.

Hey, maybe I'm doing something wrong for the briskets to give up that much juice. Does everyone/anyone have the same results when wrapping in foil?

I could be wrong here, but I don't think you should be putting plastic wrap in the cooker, wouldn't it melt?

From what I've heard, the wrap won't melt until above 400*. From personal experience, I've wrapped ribs in plastic wrap, then foil and put back on the smoker @ 225* to 250* with no probs.
Dave

Thanks guys for the feedback, but when I asked the question, I was thinking about after you rub, everyone says wrap in plastic, normally I just put it in a pan and cover with plastic wrap.:p
Don't get me wrong its still a very good discussion!

When I wrap my briskets in foil, then finish cooking for 6 -8 hours, I get lots of juice in the foil which I save for making sauce.

I wonder, if you wrapped them tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, if it would hold the juices inside the brisket.

Hey, maybe I'm doing something wrong for the briskets to give up that much juice. Does everyone/anyone have the same results when wrapping in foil?
I started using these a couple of years ago. The plastic can stand the heat a lot better than the regular Saran wrap. Oops! now my secret is out.

ovenbags.jpg

Thanks guys for the feedback, but when I asked the question, I was thinking about after you rub, everyone says wrap in plastic, normally I just put it in a pan and cover with plastic wrap.:p

I think the difference is negligible and really immeasurable. If you're satisfied, keep doing what your doing.. If your curious, they the other way once to compare.

Only advantage I see to all plastic, is that it's one less item that will need to be washed.

I think it would work either way unless you are injecting the meat and then a couple of tight wraps of plastic wrap help keep the marinade from squirting back out of the meat.

I've done that and it works really well. The guy my wife was running for this weekend cooks his ribs wrapped in plastic then foil and when it was time to slice them for turn in they were all too overdone to cut cleanly.
Perhaps it works too well.
ModelMaker

I put plastic wrap on meat and then foil and cook it up in the 300* with no probblems. The wrap stick togeather but no flavor change or appeaence to the meat. It holds the juice in great.

As for Saran vs plastic wrap. The plastic wrap it thicker and supposedly can handle higher heat. I am talking about the kind you get at wholesale clubs.

I can't say that I've done the testing myself to confirm this, but I read once (I think it was in an America's Test Kitchen book) that for the first three hours or so that rub is on meat, the salt in the rub is pulling water out of the meat. It's only after that the salt begins to be carried into the meat (and the flavoring with it.) I figure that if the juice is coming out of the meat and running to the bottom of the pan, the salt and flavorings are not going to be up against the meat when the flow would normally go the other way, so I wrap the meat to keep the rub where it's going to do the most good. But, as I said, I never really tested this.

I can't say that I've done the testing myself to confirm this, but I read once (I think it was in an America's Test Kitchen book) that for the first three hours or so that rub is on meat, the salt in the rub is pulling water out of the meat. It's only after that the salt begins to be carried into the meat (and the flavoring with it.) I figure that if the juice is coming out of the meat and running to the bottom of the pan, the salt and flavorings are not going to be up against the meat when the flow would normally go the other way, so I wrap the meat to keep the rub where it's going to do the most good. But, as I said, I never really tested this.

Revisting an old post I started... I did wrap the butt for about 12 hours, and you know there was no liquid that came out of the butt, I'm assuming it stayed in the butt, which is good. Normally there is liquid at the bottom of the pan...

Back