MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Trimmed pork collars

Any input from the board on this discussion thread?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=99416

Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

The board raised their eyebrows frrom ones I talked to but no talk of action. I think they'd be very surprised at the teams cooking ILLEGALLY! It's about time teams were named if you ask me. Snake River Farms apparently spilled the beans on several. When I emailed them as just an "interested" person in purchasing their product and asked questions, they didn't both responding. I think they know.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

I am sure that we are discussing this over the next weekend in KC, I have 30 pages of notes on this subject and will bring them with me....
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Please address the cut, not just the fact that SRFs was selling under weight cuts to comp teams. We all already know that under weight pork is illegal.

A lot of people (me included) think that the cut should be legal (if over 5 lbs) and the meat comes from any part of the whole shoulder.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

yup.. what he said
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Gene,
I'd like to suggest that instead of creating more micro rules we just change the rule to "It has to be pork, it can't be ribs, and it has to weigh at least five pounds". Period. Anybody wants to cook a ham or a loin I'm good with it. BBQ joints all over the country cook those cuts.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

The way I understand it from my emails with those "in the know", the pork collar is coming off of a shoulder that is cut/harvested differently than our traditional shoulder that we all know and love. This newer shoulder cut is for export outside the US and the pork collar is a by-product of it. I do not believe you could harvest a pork collar from a cut-for-the-USA shoulder, the way I understand it.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
The way I understand it from my emails with those "in the know", the pork collar is coming off of a shoulder that is cut/harvested differently than our traditional shoulder that we all know and love. This newer shoulder cut is for export outside the US and the pork collar is a by-product of it. I do not believe you could harvest a pork collar from a cut-for-the-USA shoulder, the way I understand it.
Sure you can, you just break the animal further back; at the 3rd or 4th rib vs the 1st. It would be a long butt, but it would still be a butt. Ray's right with his suggestion of anything but ribs weighing 5 lbs. Even an IMPS definition is pointless because the competitor can trim and repackage prior to the event. Unless the inspectors are going to start carrying needles, insert them into the pork butt and measure the distance from the end of the loin side to the blade bone there's really no way to tell. Hell, have you ever even seen a meat inspector with a scale?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I think I'm with Ray at this point... if it weighs 5lbs and used to oink.
Leave out the ribs and loin as well I guess, but the best Q comes from the shoulder anyway, so they would just handicap themselves by getting too creative.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
I think I'm with Ray at this point... if it weighs 5lbs and used to oink.
Leave out the ribs and loin as well I guess, but the best Q comes from the shoulder anyway, so they would just handicap themselves by getting too creative.
Ray has a point, but I dread that kind of outcome. Think of it, a lot of people are already putting in multiple styles of meat from the shoulder, now expand it. You could end up with a box of pulled, ham, loin and god knows what else. Imagine the potential meat costs for a team just to build a box having 3 or 4 different pork meats to make up the one box.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Jorge

I'm fine with Ray's proposed solution. It's easy enough to enforce and creates a level playing field.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Sure you can, you just break the animal further back; at the 3rd or 4th rib vs the 1st. It would be a long butt, but it would still be a butt.
I didn't say you couldn't, I said that's not the way a shoulder is cut for typical US packing/sale. Obviously they do it all the time (for export) which is why we have pork collars.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

..be interesting to see what a 5lb piece of bacon would smoke up like...like a very well marbled brisket flat?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
..be interesting to see what a 5lb piece of bacon would smoke up like...like a very well marbled brisket flat?
Just as most of us wouldn't go near a five pound slab of ribs a 5 pound pork belly probably wouldn't yield very good results for anything.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I dunno... I'd give that a taste.