MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
tallon713
Found some matches.

Default Newbie here and have questions, help please.

Hi all, Am kinda new to smoking, built me an off set and what ever I did I seem to have got it right. Lol. Have fallowed lots of advise from here and all has turned out great! Thanks!
Now here is my questions, I thought I would try to do a brisket monday for my mom, 83 years old and never had anything but the trukey I smoked for her on thanksgiving, any ways I decided not to use the side smoker cause I just got a small brisket for the 2 of us, 3.22 lbs. so I bought a ecb for $5.00 and did all the mods as decribed in here, seems to work ok.Kept it at 200-225 for 2 hours with just 2 or 3 lbs of used charcoal. So here is where I need help, was reading on line that you shouldn't try n smoke a brisket under 6lbs, it will just dry out becaus so small, is this true? did I waste my money? If it can be done to be tender and good can any of you help me out and tell whats the best way to do it? PLEASE. Thanks and you all have a great holiday!
tallon713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a pretty small brisket - my guess is it's part of a flat. It is not a corned beef brisket correct? (Just making sure) .
Is there any fat left on it or did the meat cutters trim it clean? If there's not fat at all you may want to change your method a little and think of braising it in some luquid to help with the moisture - you can still di it in your smoker though. I'd be interested to hear what the more ecperiences folks think about this one.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Probably a super trimmed fresh flat. I'd drape bacon over it during the cook to give it some moisture. Smoke at anywhere from 225 to 300 till a probe inserts like warm butter, don't pay attention to temp, other than to start probing when it hits around 190.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
tallon713
Found some matches.

Thanks for the quick replys, no its not corned beef, ya probly a flat, it does have any where from 1/4" to about 1/16" of fat all across one side n marbled pretty good on the other. would soakin it in some marrinade help with moister? Also weatherman says windy with cust up to 50 mph, I know its gonna be harder then heck to keep a steady temp, do you all think making a skrit around the bottem to keep the wind out will help? Thanks T.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I would try injecting with the grain. Make a mix of beef broth and bacon drippings.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
tallon713
Found some matches.

Thanks all! will let you know how it turns out, can't wait!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
tallon713
Found some matches.

Just wanted to let you all know how it turned out. had a heck of a time with the temp, think I used to much charcoal cause it was just smoldering, couldn't seem to get enough air in it, finally took out the water pan and that got me up to 250, took out a chimmny full of charcoal and there she was. any how no pics but it turned out pretty good for my 1st, the bark? guess thats what you call it was way hard, I mean HARD, but after you got through it, oh my! Tender n juicy, could barely cut it, it just fell apart. Thanks again for the info and help. Mom loved it!
T.