• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

175# Hog Dimenssions

Tackleberry

Reaction score
Greetings fellow brethren! I am new to the forum (officially) but I have been reading and learning for the past year from all of your posts.

My question is that I have a 250gal fuel oil tank trailer rig and I have committed to cook for a wedding. The grooms family is now concerned that a 175# hog will not fit on my pit. Do you brethren know if it will fit? The rig is standing upright hope that helps (see attachment)?

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 169
I did a 197# hog in my unit in April, rook all of the 5'x2' rack with out butterflying it. you look to be around 4'x? may have to lose the head, ultimately you will have to figure out approximate size of the pig, ask your butcher. Then make it fit. It is really cool when you do the first one, kind of a crowning jewel for your rig. Have fun and post some pron.

I have done a few whole hogs before but not on my new pit. I am excited and Hope it will fit b/c the grooms father doesn't want me to "mutilate" the hog to get it to fit.

A (very) rough idea of length of a whole, head on hog:

75 lbs - 3 foot
100 lbs - 4 foot
200 lbs - 5 foot
300 lbs - 6 foot
over 300 lbs - you gotta be nuts!

My cooker uses the same tank as yours.

I think your 175# hog will fit if you do not butterfly it out.

To loose some length without loosing the head, cut the rear legs off at the knee.

Other thing to look at is the hog itself. Make sure you are getting a BBQ style hog and not a "loin hog". You want short and squatty (with typically higher fat content). will produce a much better product and fit a lot better

My two cents worth if you're interested. Most people do a whole hog for the wow factor. It actually helps you if you could do a smaller hog and cook some butts for the rest of the meat. This way, you could pull the butts, pull out the hog for presentation, and then people could start eating while you are pulling the hog. It has been my experience at least in this area, that most people don't want the whole hog sitting out for a pig picking, but rather would have it in pans already pulled. If they want PP, then suggest a smaller hog and some butts to go along with it. It will make your life easier.

My two cents worth if you're interested. Most people do a whole hog for the wow factor. It actually helps you if you could do a smaller hog and cook some butts for the rest of the meat. This way, you could pull the butts, pull out the hog for presentation, and then people could start eating while you are pulling the hog. It has been my experience at least in this area, that most people don't want the whole hog sitting out for a pig picking, but rather would have it in pans already pulled. If they want PP, then suggest a smaller hog and some butts to go along with it. It will make your life easier.

^^^This Guy Has The Right Idea^^^
and i bet no-one would even question what they are eating while you are presenting the pig

I call the extra butts or loins extend-a-pig. I have the same cooker with a rotisserie. The pig would fit if you chopped the legs of at the elbow/knee. Length wise you will be ok. Might not have much room to feed your cooker.

I would buy a 120# pig. And extended it with a case of butts.

Chris and I have had good luck with this. I highly reccomend it.

Thanx guys for input but the grooms family wants me to use the other pit a 500 gal Propane tank. I did recommend the"extend-a-pig" but they didn't like that idea for some reason. I told that I will cook whatever they pay for ;)

Back