Turn in box question?

D

Derek

Hi everyone.

A gentleman is going to allow me to smoke some chickens for the practice kc event in Eagle City and I was reading the thread about the turn in boxes.

And I've found out you want 6 peices in the box, that's fine. But why does everyone serve letus on the bottom of the box?

Also Were do I buy little to go containers to add bbq sauce? Just incase they want to dip the chicken into the sauce?

Lettuce or parsley is in the box to help the meat not slide around, and to also enhance the appearance of the meat. It looks better on a bed of fresh greens than a bed of white styrofoam.

Regarding sauce cups - if it is KCBS, you can't do that. If you are submitting sauced entries, the meat needs to have the sauce applied to it. You can't put anything but the meat and a few approved garnished in the box. No cups, foil, etc.

Thank you Brew B-q,

Yes it's a kc style practice event.

So basically Lettuce or parsley? Ok thanks and why 6 peices? Why not 8 or 4 or 2? Is it because 6 pieces fits in the box perfect?

6 minimum; 1 for every judge, can have more. Search for worst turn in boxes, you'll find many examples.

Do not crowd. No puddling of sauce/juice. The better looking greenery frames the
bbq by making a "putting green".

I suggest looking at the 2010 rules; found on right side (PDF) of this page:

http://www.kcbs.us/contact.php

Thanks Lake Dog. I've been looking at that thread all morning and I've learned a lot.

I agree - the parcely and lettuce really serve no purpose except keeping the meat in place and looking good for the judges.

6 pices is really all I can fit. I do bone in thighs, now some people do the bone out (what i like ot call nuggets) and their presentations show 9 in a box.

Thanks for the help padbills. I'll stick with 6 and lettus.

i actually make a "putting green" out of the darker big-leaf lettuce (not iceberg, but
cant remember its name), slice it very very thin, then place along the bottom. You
can have too much greenery and have it cover your Q or take away from the
presentation. Think: color & backdrop, ala. frame. Not a greenery "glove".

i actually make a "putting green" out of the darker big-leaf lettuce (not iceberg, but
cant remember its name), slice it very very thin, then place along the bottom. You
can have too much greenery and have it cover your Q or take away from the
presentation. Think: color & backdrop, ala. frame. Not a greenery "glove".
Is it romaine? it slices beautifully and makes a very pretty dark to light green spectrum.

Is it romaine? it slices beautifully and makes a very pretty dark to light green spectrum.

that's it. the darker the better. yes, i did just give away my secret. to
me, in bbq, there are no secrets, not really... anyway, its much faster
than trying to snip all those little parsley pieces and get them flat. we've
never had less than an 8 on appearance, so this seems to work for us.
this is really a kcbs thing. most (not certain about ALL) of the other bbq
sanctioning bodies do not allow anything other than meat in the box [well,
one allows foil].

Derek, turn in what you'd like, just make certain its a minimum of 6 identifiable
pieces. I suggest keeping them all the same. We dont want a judge to feel
"slighted" if he/she wanted white meat but they were all taken. If you can
make nice moist white meat, go with it. However, most will turn in thighs
because they stay moist longer...

that's it. the darker the better. yes, i did just give away my secret. to
me, in bbq, there are no secrets, not really... anyway, its much faster
than trying to snip all those little parsley pieces and get them flat. we've
never had less than an 8 on appearance, so this seems to work for us.
this is really a kcbs thing. most (not certain about ALL) of the other bbq
sanctioning bodies do not allow anything other than meat in the box [well,
one allows foil].

Derek, turn in what you'd like, just make certain its a minimum of 6 identifiable
pieces. I suggest keeping them all the same. We dont want a judge to feel
"slighted" if he/she wanted white meat but they were all taken. If you can
make nice moist white meat, go with it. However, most will turn in thighs
because they stay moist longer..
I hear you I watch Chopped & Top chef, The judges go prime evil on your bum when you don't give them the same pieces.

Thanks Geurry, I was thinking the same thing.

Do I want to turn in 3 pieces of dark and 3 white?

Derek, turn in what you'd like, just make certain its a minimum of 6 identifiable pieces. I suggest keeping them all the same. We dont want a judge to feel "slighted" if he/she wanted white meat but they were all taken. If you can make nice moist white meat, go with it. However, most will turn in thighs because they stay moist longer...

I agree with Lake Dog. You don't want to piss them off before they even take a taste.

Then print it out and take it with you.

These are also very helpful...

Your First Cookoff

Contest Rep Advisories, Revised 2010

What smoker are you planning on using for this? I ask this because only certain equipment is legal to use for a KCBS contest.

What smoker are you planning on using for this? I ask this because only certain equipment is legal to use for a KCBS contest.

It's going to be a char coal smoker, probably a UDS!
You should be fine... The only reason we ask is because gas and electric smokers aren't allowed...

Have you done a practice cook using all of the meats? Again I'm asking only to insure that you'll have enough space to cook it all.

You should be fine... The only reason we ask is because gas and electric smokers aren't allowed...

Have you done a practice cook using all of the meats? Again I'm asking only to insure that you'll have enough space to cook it all.
Yes at home, And the gentleman has 3 other cooks working on the other meats. I'm doing the chicken. His best friend is doing the st loius style ribs and 2 others are doing the beef and so on.

All this gentleman has are Char coal smokers, By the way why s gas & electric illegal?

Back