• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New sticks for stick burners...

OakPit

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I have these oak wood slats about 2" wide and 24" long - they have been soaked in red wine for a couple of years. Do you think they would work as smoke wood in a stick burner? They would last longer than chunks and be easier to handle...thoughts?

Probably work real good. were they old barrels?
Nope, they actually sit in the huge stainless steel wine tanks as the wines age...They are meant to give the wine that oak flavor. the slats are about 1/2" thick.

Sounds like they would work great, Giving off a Oak Wine flavor to the food, Only real way to find out is to give them a try, and Keep us posted on what they do?I know that I am curious as heck to find out.

No they won't work. Do the Green thing, keep from filling our lanfills. Send them to me.:biggrin: A couple of Brothers sent some wine barrel pieces to me. They work great.

No they won't work. Do the Green thing, keep from filling our lanfills. Send them to me.:biggrin: A couple of Brothers sent some wine barrel pieces to me. They work great.

Beat me to it! :twisted:

But don't use for heat, just for flavor!

You know they wont work in the western US because of the air flow. They only work around Cincy where we dont have sports teams to root for...........So If you would like to box up some and send I would be glad to send back pics of the wood burning.......

Beat me to it! :twisted:

But don't use for heat, just for flavor!

You know they wont work in the western US because of the air flow. They only work around Cincy where we dont have sports teams to root for...........So If you would like to box up some and send I would be glad to send back pics of the wood burning.......
You guys beat me to it!!! Dang it! I gotta get online during the weekends more often...!!!!

those slats only work in new jersey. send them to me.

Liar heads!

It is upsetting that so many of you are trying to STEAL this Brother's wine-soaked oak slats. While I agree that they will not work in his home State, they will not work in yours either.

Arizona is the ONLY climate dry enough for those slats to be worth anything. Send them to me and I will respond in kind by providing you with some mesquite.

-Gup (honesty is THE best policy.)

Oakpit ,I've used them before like chunk on charcoal. If you have a holelot of them I would think you could use them as stickbuner. Wine barral would work better more wood.

I agree to not use as primary wood, but rather for adding that layer of smoke that has people wondering. Sounds like they would make great tooth picks to suck on also.

You guys are great - I've just worked it out & the taste is pretty good! Very unique. I think I'll put them in the store with the other weird stuff that I've got. I'd love to share with the Brethren - just PM me if you're interested & I can describe them better.

It is upsetting that so many of you are trying to STEAL this Brother's wine-soaked oak slats. While I agree that they will not work in his home State, they will not work in yours either.

Arizona is the ONLY climate dry enough for those slats to be worth anything. Send them to me and I will respond in kind by providing you with some mesquite.

-Gup (honesty is THE best policy.)

You're killing me! Give me a ship to address...

So I have these oak wood slats about 2" wide and 24" long - they have been soaked in red wine for a couple of years. Do you think they would work as smoke wood in a stick burner? They would last longer than chunks and be easier to handle...thoughts?

I took a picture of the wine soaked oak chunks - these are the wood chunks we get from the same wineries as the slats...same color etc.
24135677.jpg
, but the slats are too big for little BBQ's - We use the chunks instead...

Sometimes - It is a lot of work finding them. I have a warehouse full of this sorta stuff...

Back