Jack Daniels Invitational/AR/GAB Tun in Boxes

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Been reading the thread on the Jack draw, and I'm really excited for the Brethren teams that were chosen to attend and a bit sad for the ones that didn't make the draw.
This was my first season as a competition cook and I've had a blast! I have learned so much from the seasoned pros here, that I'm really looking forward to the next comp. (which will probably be in April??)
Anyway-I'm wondering if anyone thats been to the Jack has pics or links of turn ins of theirs they'd like to share? Or Royal and GAB turn ins for that matter, the stuff that got you to the top!

Well, with presentation being an important part of the overall score, i don't see many teams posting their secret presentations that they've scored well with in the ARI or the jack. Not trying to be mean, but if you got a 1st in a catagory at any of these two events, i don't think you'd want to show it to the world.

Yeah- you have a point! I was thinking more along the line of people that made it and were proud to show off their efforts. It is asking a lot.
I've figured this past season Presentation was something I needed to focus on a bit more. I know I got solid scores in Appearance and took a lot of ribbing for making my boxes like "putting greens" when it was a meat competition, but I figured if I ain't got the game it might as well look good! So its a stretch and for a new guy sometimes its a little thing that makes you slap yourself and think of the obvious.

It takes a lot of practice to get the right look you are going for, and it is hard to give those hours of practice away. You will get a lot of information here, guidance, and the what not to do's....but, the little things are ones that you have to come up with that makes it your own. I do lots of practice boxes, picture, compare/contrast....even with it being the lowest weighted area, ask teams who won/loss by ten thousandths of a point how important it is....and what do you eat first with....eyes......nose.......there are tons of picture ideas though here, and then just build on it from there.....

I can't seem to find any pics of my BBQ turn-ins :wink:

But here is the chefs choice we did a few years ago... Lobster Pot Pies

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
If the picture had a little more detail, I think I could figure it out....

This was our first place chefs choice entry from the Jack last year (Short Ribs, Collard Greens and Creamy Grits)
dscf0016-1.jpg

It takes a lot of practice to get the right look you are going for, and it is hard to give those hours of practice away. You will get a lot of information here, guidance, and the what not to do's....but, the little things are ones that you have to come up with that makes it your own. I do lots of practice boxes, picture, compare/contrast....even with it being the lowest weighted area, ask teams who won/loss by ten thousandths of a point how important it is....and what do you eat first with....eyes......nose.......there are tons of picture ideas though here, and then just build on it from there.....

I'm one of them. Lost a G.C. by .0008 in Madison, and missed a G.C. in Nashville, In. by 4 points. Just another point or 2 in appearance from any of the 20 judges on a sheet (minus the 4 dropped) could've made all the difference. Appearance, like taste and tenderness, should be taken seriously.

I realize now that this was a loaded question/request and can't blame anyone for not sharing with the world what got them to the top of the game. I really do take the time to go through teams with websites that do show off some of their entries, and try to judge contests in my area when not cooking. I pretty much credit Chris/iQue for sharing his chicken thigh tips here, that really helped me improve my scores! I've helped out a couple cooks that spent time in foodservice and was amazed at how little time they spent on their boxes and they looked fantastic, I just don't have that thing going for me. I was hoping there were some links from past contests or even "Food Stylist" BBQ links out there.

I asked a while back for pics of IBCA turn ins, and someone PM'd me and said its just meat on a piece of foil in a styrofoam box! I just had to know.

You wouldn't happen to be "shiggin" for Ty now...would you? :twisted:

Thanks steve and chris.. This is the stuff i was talking about and trying to encourage for our Battle of the Brethren Contest. I looked and couldnt find the pics I had of the jack. Its truly amazing the efforts they put into the entries down their.

Back