Contest Announcment The BBQ Throwdown & Jam - Salem, Illinois

BanditBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey BBQ Brethren,

We're a few weeks away from The BBQ Throwdown & Jam in Salem, Illinois and there is still room for teams. We capped (with a waiting list) at 50 teams in 2007.

Generally speaking, team counts have been down nationwide, so attendance is expected to be down...BUT PRIZE MONEY IS THE SAME! We're going to cap at 40 teams this year and will be paying out a $5,000 purse...not to mention the contest passes we will be giving away for 2009.

If you're not familiar with this contest, it is a KCBS sanctioned qualifier...is in it's 3rd year (though sporting a new name this year)...went from 15 teams the first year to 50 teams last year...and is tied with a 2 night music festival as well. It's located in Salem, Illinois...just 70 miles east of St. Louis, 4 hours from Chicago, 3 hours from Indianapolis and Nashville. The contest and music festival is being held as a fundraiser for a local school and the American Cancer Society.

We sure could use your support! More information can be found online at http://www.TheBBQThrowdown.com .

I talked with Rhino last night. It doesn't look good for this contest if he doesn't get a few more teams in the next couple of days. He needs to get at least 25 teams and he doesn't have it yet. This is a great contest and Rhino really takes care of the cooks. Not sure if this contest i just suffering from the economy, but I can say it is a good one. Plus he also has that bald guy, that wears funny colored Crocs from Lynchburg as his rep. :roll:

This contest is about 75 miles maybe from St. Louis. So come on guys, help out a great contest. All the proceeds go to the American Cancer and to support locals schools.

Hope to see you all there!!!

Scottie

I even promise to lay off the "Yankee" jokes! Well . . . . . . .maybe I'll just cut back some! CAUSE YA'LL ARE SOOOOO EASY!!!

Seriously, I really hope it makes it 25 for a qualifier. we thoroughly enjoyed our visit last year. We don't get to many comps where the teams set their rigs on fire for entertainment!:lol:

Phillip

So you have the special tape for there?

Man, that sure was a wake up call for Smokey Joel... We were just laughing about that this weekend, him trying to burn down his whole rig... While he was making memosa's.. :roll:

Hope to see you there Phillip. I know a few teams that need to get their apps in, so hopefully it will be a go!!!

Scottie

I actually found an Alabama/Georgia version of the cd. Maybe I'll share it at the meeting.

Played it in Birmingham and was not well accepted by the Bama/Dawg fans!!:mrgreen:

Phillip

See, we are nice people up North... We didn't even threaten you, until you slowed it down... :lol:

Back