Pressure Cook Wood Chunks?

Cabntmkr1

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but I hope you'll give it some thought and let me know what you think...
I know that a lot of BBQ guys do not bother to soak their wood chunks in water because, even with a 24-hour soak, the water only penetrates a 1/8th of an inch, or so. (don't think so? Soak a chunk 24 hours and then split it open...)
My question is if anyone has thought, or tried, pressure cooking a few wood chunks in water for, say a half-hour, and then splitting it open to see how far the pressurized water had penetrated?
To my way of thinking, if that worked, it would be like having wood chunks on steroids.
Thoughts???:redface:

Dry wood on the SIDE of my coals produces the perfect, light blue smoke. Wet wood doesn't burn hot and clean for that BEST fire combination for me.
Just my opinion and I don't know Jack Didley!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

I think wet wood of any kind is undesirable, and would therefore not "pressure moistureize" it.

Dry wood is the way to go.. As stated above Wet wood smolders and gives off the undesirables.

The only use I have ever had for soaked wood is just the chips that I might throw on the grill for some wood flavor on steaks.
Otherwise, I think what has been said is correct.

I would have to say that "pressure soaking" would be a total waste of time... look at the center of Pressure treated lumber, that chit is PULLED into the wood with a very strong vacum and it will only get into about 1/2" from the surfaces

Hey Guys, thanks for the input. After reading the first couple of commenst I decided that I would do a little reading in the archives. Wow! I guess wetting the wood isn't used after all. I had no idea that so many people use wood dry.
But hey, that's what we're on this forum for, right? I learned something from you guys, and I do appreciate it!

Wet wood is okay for grilling steaks and burgers, but not for BBQ, IMO.

dry dry dry. i'm in agreement with you guys. Soaking chips for grilling is one thing.

Back