Anyone ever try this sauce - City Market Sauce (Luling) ?

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Luling City Market BBQ Sauce in Luling, Texas[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]8oz. can tomato sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]5 tbl brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]1/4 cup mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]3 tbsp Louisiana hot sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]1 tbsp white vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]1 tsp black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Mix well, do not cook, stir up and serve[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/FONT]

I'm looking for a good authentic Texas Sauce to use with my brisket.

This is definatley an authentic TEXAS STYLE sauce........just about as Texas as it gets. Fairly simple and mighty tasty....

BTW....PM me and I'll send you another one!!

It is good, but a little thin, but just the right kick in my book

This is definatley an authentic TEXAS STYLE sauce........just about as Texas as it gets. Fairly simple and mighty tasty....

Without having my Legends of Texas BBQ book in front of me, can I ask:

What is it in this recipe that makes it authentic Texas Style?

Is it the ingredients, or is it the "simple and mighty tasty"?

Just curious

Well, I guess I can only comment on sauces native to Al. Around here sacues tend to be all very thin tomatoe or vineager based and sweet without a lot of heat. Also the sauces don't have much of a smoke flavor to them. I assume that texas style sauce to be darker in color, smokier in flavor, and have a little heat or kick to is. I also imagine it to be a little thicker.

Simple is probably the defining charactristic of Texas sauces but they also tend to be less sweet than others as they are made to be used on beef. Since traditional TX Q is (was) served without sauce and as the world became smaller and folks kept asking for sauce the smoke miesters developed simple but tasty sauces to satisfy those insisting on slathering the otherwise perfect meat.

Thanks AGB ... gonna have to give that a try the next a brisket hits the drum!

While doing a google search, I just came across this recipe somewhere else...I'm not sure of the authenticity..I then found this old thread using the search option on the sauce receipe.

I was thinking about making some in the next few weeks to see if it's remotely or maybe very similar to what is actually served at City Market in Luling, which I got to sample during my trip a few weeks ago and liked..

Anyone else try this recipe who has also tried the real sauce at City Market ?

I also know "Luling City Market" sauce is available for sale online, as this place in Houston is a copycat that was named after the real place in Luling and had one of the original employees come over to help start the business and brought over the sauce recipe.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-05-26/dining/barbecue-identity-theft/

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/sauce.html

Last edited:
I am going to whip up a batch and compare. I was just there about a week ago. To my eye, doesnt seem like there is enough blackpepper in that recipe.

Luling City Market is not the same as City Market in Luling, Texas as far as I know. Can anyone confirm this?

There is a restaurant in Houston called Luling City Market. It's pretty good but can't hold a candle to City Market in Luling, Texas.

Quite sure there are lots of good ones out there.the BEST storebought sauce I ever tasted on brisket is Cattleman's Steakhouse.:thumb: I have tasted as good or better homemade ones but unfortunately have no recipe.

I dont think there is a "Texas Style" sauce. What sauces there are cover the range from slightly sweet to vinegary, thicker to thnner, mild to spicy, and beefy to tomatoey (sic). No matter what the books say you're going to have to let go of the idea that there is a "Texas Style" sauce of which there is a common thread between them all. The idea just doesn't hold up. Now in my opinion a Bloody Mary warmed up makes a great sauce for Texas stlye BBQ!

I dont think there is a "Texas Style" sauce. ....No matter what the books say you're going to have to let go of the idea that there is a "Texas Style" sauce ...

what Zilla said +1

to me Texas style means "if there is sauce...its on the side because if the meat is done right, you dont need no stinkin sauce"

(just an opinion)

Back