MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #11296
KGNickl
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Lesson's or things I have learned about UDS's (personal opinions) in the last couple years:

1. Buying a clean new drum is worth it (unless you get lucky enough to get a cheap/free unlined drum w/ food safe oil in it). Also, if you can find someone to sandblast it inside out your avoid having to burn it out (some people will argue with I'm sure...). I spent $60 for a new drum and $20 to get it blasted. $80 is well worth avoiding hours of burning and sanding in my opinion...
2. Rustoleum flat black paint is your friend. Only paint the outside of your drum, the inside get "seasoned". Flat black is easy to touch up and actually blends in with itself. Yearly cleanup only take 5-10 minutes if you have a drill with a wire wheel and a can of this paint. I've just found w/ fun paint or patterns they end up looking like crap after a year or two and I'd rather spend my time cooking vs. stripping and repainting my entire drum.
3. Electronic controllers are wonderful. For day cooks I can get away w/ out them but for night cooks I'd rather sleep knowing everything will be ok. For example last week the temp outside dropped 30 degreees at night (wasn't aware it was supposed to) so I woke up to a brisket cooking about 20-30 degrees low....). I've had Wifi, digital display, and non digital display. They are all great but I've come to the conclusion a ique 110 and a wireless meat/pit thermometer do just fine. I'd rather spend less $ and keep it simple.
4. Season your drums inside properly and a rusty interior is only in your imagination. I buy 2-3 cans of canola oil from walmart and spray the entire inside. Light up some coals and let it burn at around 300 for a few hours and your done. Each cook if you notice bare metal spots spray a little oil before/during your cook and your good to go.
5. Weed burners are your friend. Lighting a drum becomes a 2-3 minute task. And until you learn to properly use it your neighbors might think jets are flying over head.
6. Read everything you can online and "borrow" ideas from everywhere and everyone so you end up creating your perfect drum. It will take building (or rebuilding) maybe 2-5 drums before you find what really works for you unless your lucky.
KGNickl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #11297
tom9193

ok so im only up to page 200 something on here im about to start building my u.d.s. but i need to know i want the weber grill cover but i also want the ability to use a weber rotisserie..so am i supposed to cut the lip to the drum or cut the top 2 inches of a old weber kettle and mod that it in
tom9193 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #11298
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9193 View Post
ok so im only up to page 200 something on here im about to start building my u.d.s. but i need to know i want the weber grill cover but i also want the ability to use a weber rotisserie..so am i supposed to cut the lip to the drum or cut the top 2 inches of a old weber kettle and mod that it in

Tom I thought the rotisserie kit would fit right in the drum with no mods but I could be wrong... I know the ribolator fits. I was going to do one a while back but found spatchcocking birds there is no need to rotisserie in the UDS.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #11299
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Tom I thought the rotisserie kit would fit right in the drum with no mods but I could be wrong... I know the ribolator fits. I was going to do one a while back but found spatchcocking birds there is no need to rotisserie in the UDS.
It is my understanding that the WEBER rotisserie ring does not fit in the UDS. However, the Cajun Bandit and/or Ribolator stainless rings fit in the UDS upside down with no mod. I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #11300
WombleNC
Knows what a fatty is.

Guess I had to add to this thread. It's helped me a ton. Check out my build. Link to the thread below.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=169137

Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #11301
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Default Rust on the inside - during build process

Hello All. I have been working on my UDS for a month or so - whenever spare time allows. My drum is bare cold rolled steel on the inside - a good problem. This weekend I finished most of the painting. I now have some lettering to do.

I notice that there is now a fair amount of rust on the inside of the drum - spotty. When I am finished with the painting, I will bring the drum up to 200 deg to cure the high temp paint. Then, I plan to raise them temp, and then spray inside with oil to season it.

Should I remove the light rust before seasoning?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130825-7 mid section blue - Small.jpg (29.7 KB, 710 views)

Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #11302
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Default Concerned about a few galvanized parts in my UDS

Hello. I am only up to about page 100, so I apologize if this has been covered and re-covered too much.

I know (from reading this thread) that galvanized parts should not be used inside a UDS unless the galvanized coating is removed chemically or by super-heating.

I have chosen to just avoid using galvanized parts altogether since I don't have a weed-burner, a torch, or the required acid.

I used conduit nuts on the inlet nipples. The package said "Steel". Am I right to assume (now), that they are galvanized steel?

Should I be concerned about the 3 conduit nuts that are way down inside my UDS?

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #11303
spinningwheel
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I don't believe so. It doesn't get hot enough at the bottom air intakes (That's where I assume they are at.) to create a situation where galvanize will offgas. Even if it does, I don't see where the ppm will get anywhere near what would be required to make you sick. The nuts I used are the same as yours and I have countless cooks on it and no one has gotten sick.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #11304
PullMyPenang

Holy crap this is the longest thread ever, I'm maybe 1/10 of the way through but I have learned a TON! Thanks!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #11305
Tryingtopar
Got rid of the matchlight.

"Should I remove the light rust before seasoning?"

I would. You can light sand wipe down the inside with denatured alcohol. The alcohol with evaporate away. Then season.
Tryingtopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #11306
WombleNC
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 85 gallon UDS Finished!!!!

Just finished my ultimate UDS so I figured I would post on the ultimate UDS thread. Got most of my ideas here. Check out my build thread or photobucket slide show of build.

BBQ Brethern Thread- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=169137

Photobucket- http://s119.photobucket.com/user/womble79j/slideshow/85%20gallon%20UDS

Last edited by WombleNC; 08-29-2013 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: pic
WombleNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #11307
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello. I am only up to about page 100, so I apologize if this has been covered and re-covered too much.

I know (from reading this thread) that galvanized parts should not be used inside a UDS unless the galvanized coating is removed chemically or by super-heating.

I have chosen to just avoid using galvanized parts altogether since I don't have a weed-burner, a torch, or the required acid.

I used conduit nuts on the inlet nipples. The package said "Steel". Am I right to assume (now), that they are galvanized steel?

Thanks for any help.
No don't worry about the conduit nuts. I also have some galvanized washers and it's a non issue.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #11308
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello All. I have been working on my UDS for a month or so - whenever spare time allows. My drum is bare cold rolled steel on the inside - a good problem. This weekend I finished most of the painting. I now have some lettering to do.

I notice that there is now a fair amount of rust on the inside of the drum - spotty. When I am finished with the painting, I will bring the drum up to 200 deg to cure the high temp paint. Then, I plan to raise them temp, and then spray inside with oil to season it.

Should I remove the light rust before seasoning?
Yes you should wire brush the inside to remove the rust before seasoning. Also wipe it down well before painting and seasoning, I like to use low odor mineral spirits.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #11309
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombleNC View Post
Just finished my ultimate UDS so I figured I would post on the ultimate UDS thread. Got most of my ideas here. Check out my build thread or photobucket slide show of build.

BBQ Brethern Thread- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=169137

Photobucket- http://s119.photobucket.com/user/wom...20gallon%20UDS

Really nice looking build.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #11310
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice build WombleNC .
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker