MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #10681
BubbaCoy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylatinlover View Post
Hello fellow bar-b-quer's! I had a question on air flow for my first UDS build.Ive seen a lot of UDS with the ball valve extened with a pipe so you wont have to bend down to fine tune the air flow. Will this allow enough airflow through since the air has to travel a longer and more complicated distance to get to the fire instead of a short straight shot? I would love to be able to control the ball valve standing but dont want to lose air flow to the fire.
I was concerned about this, too, so I used a larger diameter pipe/valve. I planned to use 1", but slightly over-drilled the hole so I went to 1 1/4" diameter. Works great for me. The ball valves do get more pricey as the size goes up, though, so the extension handle is a good alternative.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #10682
chunkylatinlover
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCoy View Post
I was concerned about this, too, so I used a larger diameter pipe/valve. I planned to use 1", but slightly over-drilled the hole so I went to 1 1/4" diameter. Works great for me. The ball valves do get more pricey as the size goes up, though, so the extension handle is a good alternative.
Thanks BubbaCoy for the quick response, if its not a problem for you and so many others ive seen i think ill be fine!
chunkylatinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #10683
chunkylatinlover
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up Smart thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Here's an option, I have 3 extended valve adjusters on one of my drums;

This is a great idea you get the best of both worlds!
chunkylatinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #10684
PoppyJ
Found some matches.

Default Building My First UDS

Justr started building my first UDS. 55 Gallon drums were really scarce around here so my Son In Law gave me one he had his deer corn in. The only problem is it has a liner in the drum. I got my weed burner out and "torched" this thing pretty good. I intend to torch it one more time to be sure. My question is, do I need to sand down the inside after the "torching". I've got the equipment but it looks like it could be a pain! Any of ya'll comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PoppyJ
PoppyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #10685
Chief_USN
Knows what a fatty is.

It is recommended that you still sand it out. You'll probably have residue of the liner still in there even after the burn. Instead of drum diving to wire wheel it, make an extension like the link below.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=1106

Chad

Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #10686
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

I added an exhaust pipe to my UDS that leaks. I've ruined 2 baskets of lump after forgetting to cover it. Grrrr

Can I use JB weld to seal it up without worrying about bad fumes when smoking on it?

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #10687
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I added an exhaust pipe to my UDS that leaks. I've ruined 2 baskets of lump after forgetting to cover it. Grrrr

Can I use JB weld to seal it up without worrying about bad fumes when smoking on it?

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
I would Use High Temp Silicon instead of JB. You don't need strength, just sealing.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #10688
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a price to sandblast and powder coat my drum for $50, not high temp just regular. What do you guys think?
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #10689
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageford View Post
I got a price to sandblast and powder coat my drum for $50, not high temp just regular. What do you guys think?
I'd buy a new drum for $70
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #10690
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'd buy a new drum for $70
I paid $30 for new unlined. I was wondering if the powder would hold up to the temps around the fire basket area?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #10691
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageford View Post
I paid $30 for new unlined. I was wondering if the powder would hold up to the temps around the fire basket area?
no need to powder coat, use a high temp spray paint over the existing paint, it'll hold up fine
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #10692
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
no need to powder coat, use a high temp spray paint over the existing paint, it'll hold up fine
Cool, thanks

Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #10693
pigwacker
Found some matches.

Default Aluminum melting point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
Refurbed the fire basket for my UDS. The old design didn't last too long, I melted the aluminum pizza tray I was using to catch the ash and embers (Alum melt point:1,221°F...uh ).
My guess is that it didn't get that hot, but rather corrosion from all that spicy, salty, rub/sauce/marinade dripping from that juicy, tender, meat smokin in the barrel. Aluminum is highly corrode-able. Just my two cents.
pigwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #10694
Chief_USN
Knows what a fatty is.

So where is a good place to get a steel pan at? I have been looking and cannot find one that is cheap. I don't want to spend $20 for a SS pizza pan just to catch ashes. Plus I want to be able to weld it to the legs of my basket.

Chad

Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #10695
dare0035
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default A few UDS questions

So I have majority of my UDS built but have a couple issues/questions. I made a weldless fire basket but I am struggling to find stainless steel washers that are big enough to connect to my weber grill I'm using for the base. I heard you are not supposed to use galvanized or zinc coated???
Also this may be a stupid question, but do I need to do a barrel burn for a new drum?
Finally is there a preferred place to install my thermometer (on the lid or just under my bottom grate?

Thanks
dare0035 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker