MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #4861
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

i cut off the entire rim. i just couldnt get the weber kettle top to fit
devious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #4862
UVaJester
Knows what a fatty is.

PIcked up my first free drum last week... Still reading through te thread, but I'll be starting the build soon...!!!

UVaJester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #4863
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

When using it as a uds should be used, I have seen absolutely no need for a diffuser.

That said, mine is currently a twig burner. When cooking chicken, I have a VERY short window to open it without catastrophic temperature spikes. With chicken I run the drum hot (300-350). Essentially all the twigs are kept right below flash point - open it longer than 10-15 seconds and flames are coming out the top of the barrel. As such I have considered using a diffuser (including a butterfly baffle - to limit the uds turning into a burn barrel.

Why do I open it too long? takes a while to load chicken quarters.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #4864
manicmndy
Found some matches.

I bought the threaded thermos for my UDS at Walmart in the grill dept.

Last edited by manicmndy; 02-01-2010 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
manicmndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #4865
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
When using it as a uds should be used, I have seen absolutely no need for a diffuser.

That said, mine is currently a twig burner. When cooking chicken, I have a VERY short window to open it without catastrophic temperature spikes. With chicken I run the drum hot (300-350). Essentially all the twigs are kept right below flash point - open it longer than 10-15 seconds and flames are coming out the top of the barrel. As such I have considered using a diffuser (including a butterfly baffle - to limit the uds turning into a burn barrel.

Why do I open it too long? takes a while to load chicken quarters.
That's a great point. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #4866
phoney
Found some matches.

One more question; ive painted the inside of my drum with black kettle paint (rated to 400C or 752F)

Was this a bad idea, healthwise?
phoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #4867
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post
One more question; ive painted the inside of my drum with black kettle paint (rated to 400C or 752F)

No paint on the inside, just raw iron!!!!!!!

I'd get it out of there.......

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #4868
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post

Hire someone to sand blast it out unless you want to lose your hearing from a sander inside the barrel.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #4869
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Hire someone to sand blast it out unless you want to lose your hearing from a sander inside the barrel.

Errr... like shooting at the range:
Step 1: put on earplugs.
Step 2: Put on hearing protector sound deadening ear-muffs.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #4870
Boshizzle

Too much work. It's worth $20.00 to have someone else do it. :-)

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #4871
phoney
Found some matches.

Thanks guys,

I stripped the orignial paint lining out from the inside using an electric drill & wire brush.

Looks like i'll be doing that all over again!
phoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #4872
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Default Not to proud to ask a brother for help

Howdy yall,

I am new to the brotherhood and have been reading on this epic thread for the BDS/UDS.

Now 'member I'm from Texas and there's always a story 'specally 'fore askin' a question.

I have the bug to build a UDS, especially since my new son-in-law after this last Thanksgiving when I smoked a turkey wants a smoker so I want to make one for each of us. (Brings a tear to my eye, a lump in my throat, and my chest puffs out a bit, just thinkin' 'bout the boy with his very first smoker. I'm so proud. )

I have a question before I get started.

I have been given 10 open top barrells with rolled rims, bolt rings, and lids. Don't know what the insides look like yet as they are sealed up, I do know they were used for soil samples from an area small strip mall and have been given green non-hazardous stickers, so I know our 'Q won't glow in the dark or poison us.( 2 very important points.)

I would like to use a couple of them to make high covers instead of using old weber or clone domes (since I don't have any of those), and maybe even rotisery rings like ive seen a few do.

I'm only up to page 130 of the thread so I don't know if this has been asked and answered, if it has please tell me where to look, many thanks.

Here's the question,

I was wondering if any one has specific instructions and/or pics of how to construct the donor drum lids and make them seal tightly?

I think that I've seen somewhere in the thread N8man talking about his but not how he built it.

I just want to get it right the first time to get a good seal.

I'll take lost of pice during the build and post it all for upcoming generations of brethren.

Thanks brothers, in advance

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #4873
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Default High top cover for a drum

Hey brotherbd, here's what I did.

A drum with a crimped seal, not rolled. This is an open top drum, so used the bottom for this part.

Cut 3/4" below the first bulge.

Beat the heck out of the bulge to expand it a bit. I used a 3# hammer and an anvil.

A close up.

And sitting on the drum.

This was done to accept a Weber top and a rotisserie unit, but will certainly work as high top cover for your drums. It will need an exhaust of some sort though.

Have fun with the project and I hope this was of some help to you.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #4874
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Great idea Smokin D

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #4875
N8man
Babbling Farker

I did mine sorta like Smokin D's except I took an open top drum and cut the top third section of it at the center of the reinforcement rib. At first I thought to use it as a extended lid but couldn't get it to seal well enough. I used a locking ring to meld the cut section to the DrumPit Proper and used stove gasket to eliminate the air leaks. Keep in mind that this may not be a viable option for some. My DrumPit is now 46.5" tall and for some, they would need a step ladder to use it.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker