MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Megawhatt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First time doing salmon on the Akorn

Turned out pretty good, the grill got up to 400 degrees and I couldn't keep it below that so I went with it. Went with a pan because I think those cedar planks are darn expensive for a one time use product. Might try directly on the grill and no pan next time.

Megawhatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Megawhatt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

One other note, I started with flesh side down to sear that side and also to cook the skin a bit. Then halfway thru I flipped it to skin side down and when they were done the skin did not stick to the pan at all it came right off.
Megawhatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

That looks good. In place of the store bought cedar planks I suggest going to the local lumber yard and picking up some untreated cedar fence boards. They'll run you about $2 for a 6' board and you can cut them down to size.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

you can reuse the planks if they are not too charred on the bottom or there is not too much food stuck on the top that you can't remove by washing with soap and water just like a wood cutting board
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawhatt View Post
Turned out pretty good, Might try directly on the grill and no pan next time.
^^yep^^

Get the grate hot, give it a good brush or scrub then apply a light coat of grape seed oil on a paper towel with a tongs.
The fish will be ready to flip when lifts easily from the grate!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote