Contest Announcment New London, CT 2013

CBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The Best BBQ Chef Competition has been approved by the City of New London and KCBS. Mark your calendar for Sept 28 & 29, 2013.

This event has been an auto-qualifier for The Jack and The Royal for the last 2 years.

The organizer prefers to distribute applications via email instead of a web site. You can request an application via the organizer's web site:

Barbara J. Neff
Neff Productions
2 State ST
New London CT 06320

www.neffproductions.com
(860) 443-3786

I guess if they pay the money you can have an "auto-qualifier." I used to live and BBQ there.

Any more details? Location? Not having a website for an event is a bit weird. Anyone else done this event? I love the idea of a ferry ride to a comp.

FYI
Received this email from the organizer, Barbara Neff, that was sent to her from Kim Palmer BBQ Coordinator at the American Royal
Barbara –

Thank you for submitting contest information from The Best BBQ Chef Competition that was held in New London, CT September 29-30, 2012. Per the registration sheet, KCBS website and a phone call to you, this was a 2nd year event and there were 19 teams competing. Per American Royal qualifying criteria, there must be 25 teams competing in each event, unless it is a first year event, then the minimum number of teams is dropped to 15. Based on this information, the Grand Champion from this competition will not be invited to the 2013 Invitational Contest at the American Royal. For your information, I have attached the Invitational Qualifying Contest Criteria for the 2013 American Royal.

When you contact the Grand Champion with this information, you may want to mention they can still to participate in the Joe’s Open Contest, which is held the same weekend at the American Royal. This competition is open to anyone who wants to compete and spaces are given on a first come, first served basis.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Kim Palmer
American Royal
BBQ Contest Coordinator

New London

That was my first competition. It is along the waterfront. Only issue was that across the road, there were three bars that were having a contest as to who could blast their techno music the loudest until closing at 2 AM

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 296
FYI
Received this email from the organizer, Barbara Neff, that was sent to her from Kim Palmer BBQ Coordinator at the American Royal
Barbara –

Thank you for submitting contest information from The Best BBQ Chef Competition that was held in New London, CT September 29-30, 2012. Per the registration sheet, KCBS website and a phone call to you, this was a 2nd year event and there were 19 teams competing. Per American Royal qualifying criteria, there must be 25 teams competing in each event, unless it is a first year event, then the minimum number of teams is dropped to 15. Based on this information, the Grand Champion from this competition will not be invited to the 2013 Invitational Contest at the American Royal. For your information, I have attached the Invitational Qualifying Contest Criteria for the 2013 American Royal.

When you contact the Grand Champion with this information, you may want to mention they can still to participate in the Joe’s Open Contest, which is held the same weekend at the American Royal. This competition is open to anyone who wants to compete and spaces are given on a first come, first served basis.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Kim Palmer
American Royal
BBQ Contest Coordinator

Tim,

You should question that. Kim is overlooking something. AR Rules state that if there is only one sanctioned contest in a state, then you only need 15 teams. This was the only sanctioned 4 meat contest in CT in 2012, and the only one scheduled prior to the AR cutoff of July 30th 2013. You need to point that out to them, because it doesn't even occur to people from Kansas City that there might be states with only one contest. :becky:

That certainly applies to The Jack as well. Smokin' at the Ballpark in Maine became a qualifier last year with only 16 teams, because the winners of the other two contests in Maine auto qualified elsewhere, so Jack Daniels considered this to be the sole contest in Maine. (Lakeside auto qualified by winning RI, and 3Eyz by winning farking everything. (More than 7 GCs in a season auto qualifies you for The Jack))

We cooked this contest last year. It was definitely interesting. The teams were spread out all along the New London waterfront, which is bordered by train tracks and the city bar district. For you Long Islanders the Orient Point ferry lands right at the site. It was just KCBS with no grilling, so the contest itself was fine. Tim that sucks about the Royal, I hope it is reversed.

FYI: I sent a suggestion to the organizer about ice and water. There is ice being sold one block away from the contest, a short walk. They now have a water source on the piers, so people bring 100 ft of hose and a Y connector, we can all have running water at the event. She will be adding that information to the application.

FYI: I sent a suggestion to the organizer about ice and water. There is ice being sold one block away from the contest, a short walk. They now have a water source on the piers, so people bring 100 ft of hose and a Y connector, we can all have running water at the event. She will be adding that information to the application.

Mike from Que and a Half Men went under the pier and hooked themselves up for water and then hooked us up off of them. He said there are hookups every so many feet under the pier so that when boats come in they can hose off or something like that.

Tim,

You should question that. Kim is overlooking something. AR Rules state that if there is only one sanctioned contest in a state, then you only need 15 teams. This was the only sanctioned 4 meat contest in CT in 2012, and the only one scheduled prior to the AR cutoff of July 30th 2013. You need to point that out to them, because it doesn't even occur to people from Kansas City that there might be states with only one contest. :becky:

That certainly applies to The Jack as well. Smokin' at the Ballpark in Maine became a qualifier last year with only 16 teams, because the winners of the other two contests in Maine auto qualified elsewhere, so Jack Daniels considered this to be the sole contest in Maine. (Lakeside auto qualified by winning RI, and 3Eyz by winning farking everything. (More than 7 GCs in a season auto qualifies you for The Jack))
Chris
I called and sent an email pointing that out. Just not sure how or why I know the qualifying criteria better than they do.
She responded that the AR board and KCBS will look into it.
whatever that means
Tim

Update:
Received email from Kim at American Royal:
Tim –
Thank you for your patience.* I needed to run the situation by my Competition Committee for official review.
When we visit KCBS.us, we see the following contests in Connecticut for our qualifying period:
09/01/12
to
09/02/12
Blues, Views and BBQ (Competitor's Series) Westport, CT
KCBS Reps: LESLIE LOVELY, DON LOVELY
CBJ Percentage: 100%
Grand Champion: I.Q. Bbq
Results In Number of Teams: 23 High Score: 649.7144
09/29/12
to
09/30/12
The Best BBQ Chef Competition New London, CT
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Contact: Barbara Neff Phone: 860-443-3786. bj@neffproductions.com
KCBS Reps: KEN DAKAI, KATHIE DAKAI
Prize Money: $4600.00 CBJ Percentage: 93%
Grand Champion: Stubborn Bull BBQ
Results In Number of Teams: 19 High Score: 665.1430
07/12/13
to
07/13/13
Backyard BBQ Bash Cook-Off (CANCELLED) Bethel, CT
[CANCELLED]
Contact: Bobbi Jo Beers Phone: 203-743-6500. bobbijo@bethelchamber.com
KCBS Reps:
Results not in.
Where we see the Backyard BBQ has been cancelled, their website indicates Blues, Views and BBQ was a KCBS sanctioned event during our qualifying period.* Per our requirements, a state with only one contest can send a Grand Champion to the Invitational, as long as they have a minimum of 15 competing teams.** The KCBS website indicates Connecticut has had two events.
I have copied Barbara Neff on this email as well.* If either one of you feel we have made an error, please contact me.
Thank you,
Kim Palmer

I called kcbs and they stated that the Blues Views and BBQ contest in Westport was a KCBS sanctioned event even though the categories were ribs, chicken, dessert, chefs choice.
So I continue to hold hope that we will get an invite, but not looking good. Not only was KCBS not helpful but was actually annoyed with me for asking.
To be continued......

Wow. Westport counts as a contest? It's a backyard contest, not a 4 meat event. No teams cooked there in 2012 that I recognize from the NE/NY pro circuit. I wonder if the winner even knows that they can get into the Royal Invitational?

The KCBS web site, by the way, says: "The Competitors Series Contest is not eligible for the American Royal or the Jack Daniels World Championship. In addition, teams who participate in a Licensed Contest will not receive KCBS Team of the Year points." Apparently not!

The Jack rules are different, has to be a 4 meat contest, so should still be an auto for you there. (...and people will cook New London because the Jack auto is what they really want...)

Um, let's stir the pot some more. These are the rules for the Royal Invitational.

So...by these criteria....would NEBS grilling events qualify for the American Royal Invitational? Yes, NEBS says they sanction grilling, not BBQ, so it's a fine point, but what's the difference between a NEBS grilling event, and the Westport Chef's Choice and Dessert categories? That sort of stuff is right in the NEBS wheelhouse. NEBS has 21 sanctioned events this year, published rules, a scoring system, is a legal entity, etc. etc.

New London Update

Updated Info for this contest...

The Best BBQ Chef Competition Sept 29
The City of New London is proud to host the state of Connecticut’s Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) state championship for the third year in a row. Barbecue and grilling enthusiasts throughout the country will compete for top recognition in the State. The winner of the event will qualify to compete in the American Royal Barbecue in Kansas City.

The Best BBQ Chef Competition, where barbecue and grilling enthusiasts throughout the country will compete for top recognition in the State. Enjoy a BBQ competition where you can interact with the chefs while taking in the aromas of their grills, watch food demos from local restaurants and absorb the sounds of live entertainment.

Team info:
The Best BBQ Chef Competition Contest is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS). KCBS 2013 contest rules will be in effect.

KCBS contest entrance fee: $250

Meat Inspection- September 28

Cooks Meeting- September 28 at 4 pm

The 4 four categories will be judged in the following order:
Chicken Noon
Pork Ribs 12:30 pm
Pork 1:00 pm
Beef Brisket 1:30 pm

Awards Presentation 3 pm - Approximately

Sites are 10 x 30( larger space are available but are limited), Includes Electricity (20 amps)

All teams must adhere to Ledge Light Health District and New London Fire codes.

Total prize money $4,600.00

For an application to compete or to judge, email: bj@neffproductions.com

My comment: this probably isn't an auto any more, due to a new contest in Stamford, CT. It's still a 50/50 shot at the Jack though - and now you have to chance to see if you can take down Myron Mixon. (See my next post.)

Myron to attend New London

Myron Mixon to Join
New London’s Best BBQ Chef Competition

New London, CT, August 6, 2013– Myron Mixon, the “winningest” man in barbecue will be participating in the New London, CT BBQ Competition; The Best BBQ Chef competition. The Competition is set to take place on Sunday September 29, 2013 stating at noon along the waterfront. The event is open to the public and will feature 25+ cook teams competing for the title of Best BBQ Chef.

Myron has won over 180 grand championships, 30 state championships, and 11 national championships. He has over 1800 trophies which he displays proudly in his home in Unadilla, GA. This October he is set to be inducted into the BBQ Hall of Fame at the American Royal in Kansas City, MO.

Myron is the host of BBQ Pitmasters on Destination America, and has released two New York Times Bestselling cookbooks; “Smokin’ with Myron Mixon” and “Everyday Barbecue.” He has also made appearances on The Tonight Show, The Late Late Show, Conan, ABC’s Good Morning America, NBC’s Today Show and QVC to name a few.

Most Recently, Myron has partnered with Waterford, CT based fabricator, Seconn Fabrication to launch his own line of barbecue smokers. His revolutionary water smoker design utilizes the benefits of steam and smoke to take you to a whole new level of barbecuing. Lead by Owner Rob Marelli, Seconn has a history of unmatched speed, precision, technical knowledge, was a former Fabricator of the Year and runner up for National Small Business of the Year. Together, Rob and Myron have formed Myron Mixon Smokers, and have created a kick-ass smoker for every BBQ enthusiast; commercial, consumer, and competition.

Barbara J. Neff
Neff Productions
2 State ST
New London CT 06320
Sailfest - Executive Director
New London City Dock Master
www.neffproductions.com
(860) 443-3786

Back