MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I have a reverse flow smoker I built . Main chamber is 30" x 72" and my fire box is 25"w x 18" L x 18" h . I have over sized my intakes that are adjustable. Also in my fire box my fire is on a stand so intakes are under rack in fire box. Which air is forced from under the fire and all heat and smoke is drawn through the main chamber. I have no issues on temp . It dose take a hour or so to get up to temp but only have to add one split per hour. You want your pit o run s efficient as possible. Look at air intake o make sure they are low enough and draw he heat and smoke to the main chamber. Second you need to make sure your exhaust is big enough. If you don't get enough draw you will starve your fire and will ill not be able to achieve temp you want.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Having trouble posting pics and don't know why (size within requirements). The box is 24Wx20Lx20D which should be large enough. The temp here in florida is mid to high 70s with little wind again not the problem. I have three med-large intakes below fire level so not sure where my issue is. Cooked again today and chick and ribs turned out good but would rather cook the chicken at 300 and can't get there. Have a small brisket on but don't want to stay up all night so Im getting ready to transfer to the bradley smoker it will stay at 225 all night without me. If anyone can help this newbie post pics, i would still enjoy everyone's thought on how to get the temp up in my smoker, thanks!
boiler93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Finally figured out photo using photo bucket!

[IMG][/IMG]

As stated in the above post I'm still having trouble getting her above 260 and would love to get her to 300. All suggestions are welcome!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Just wondering where you got the smoker? I am looking at one just like it....never mind, just found it. Did you just pick it up yesterday? I was actually just at custom pits yesterday and I had my hands all over your pit I think...lol. It is a super nice pit. Just from looking at your pics, are your stacks closed when you are trying to get it up to temp?

Last edited by Smokin'Butts; 04-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Found the answer to my question
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

I still think that your firebox is too small. Take a look at this calculator:

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

Based on the formula from this website, your pit should have a firebox of 20,347 cubic inches. You only provided 2 of the 3 dimensions of the firebox. But, assuming that your firebox is 24"x24"x20", you have a firebox volume of 11,520 cubic inches. So, based on these numbers, your firebox is only 56.6% as big as it should be. A firebox of 28"x28"x26" would be the perfect size.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
I still think that your firebox is too small. Take a look at this calculator:

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

Based on the formula from this website, your pit should have a firebox of 20,347 cubic inches. You only provided 2 of the 3 dimensions of the firebox. But, assuming that your firebox is 24"x24"x20", you have a firebox volume of 11,520 cubic inches. So, based on these numbers, your firebox is only 56.6% as big as it should be. A firebox of 28"x28"x26" would be the perfect size.
Is there anything I can do short of ripping the existing firebox and warming box off and fabricating a new one? Because i don't have those skill sets.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

OK, great pics, thanks for adding them. Is the exhaust the single square tube or the 2@ crome tubes or both/all? Looks to me like you have your exhust closed or choked down. I suggest you open your exhausts wide open and leave them alone; control your fire with the intakes! I still think its a great lookin pit and you will figure it out!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

I was thinking the same thing as dwfisk...they looked closed. dwfisk.....there are actually 2 square exhaust tubes on this smoker. The 2 chrome tubes are for the rear charcoal grill only. I have seen these smokers personally and I cannot see why they would have trouble getting up to temp. Granted, I do not have one and I do not speak from experience...Let us know when you get it figured out though please.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
OK, great pics, thanks for adding them. Is the exhaust the single square tube or the 2@ crome tubes or both/all? Looks to me like you have your exhust closed or choked down. I suggest you open your exhausts wide open and leave them alone; control your fire with the intakes! I still think its a great lookin pit and you will figure it out!
Not a great pic of the exhaust (its actually not shown due to the warming box being in the way). First, the 2 chrome exhausts are strictly for the 3x5 charcoal grill on the end-nice option. The other exhaust that is shown in the pic stays closed since it is a reverse flow smoker don't know why it has that one but custom pits said to keep it closed and after the 6 hr trip to p/u i didn't ask enough questions!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

I actually just emailed with Brad from Custom Pits. He told me that starting this week they are increasing the exhaust from 3" to 5" so that should help with the airflow.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
Is there anything I can do short of ripping the existing firebox and warming box off and fabricating a new one? Because i don't have those skill sets.
I don't think so. However, I still think you should be able to reach 300*F. Do you have a flap that you can close to the warming box? If so, I would close that and open your smokestacks completely. Then play with the intake vents and fire size. You may even want to crack the door to the firebox and see if you can get better air flow.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
dwfisk

OK, so from your response and Smokin'Butts I'm assuming there is another square exhaust "hidden" in the pics behind the warming cabinet/firebox. Is it wide open & how big is it (the one on the other end that is closed looks to be a 3"x3")? If your exhaust is only 3"x3" I hate to say it but you gotta a problem - thats not anywhere near enough for your pit!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #28
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

boiler93.....in emailing with Brad he would like to speak with you to see what he can do to fix it. Send me a PM if you would like or give him a call

Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
dwfisk

Sorry, last post was a little negative. This can be fixed! Either the mfg or I'm only 45 minutes down the road. Don't get too frustrated, you can get it workin!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks smokin'butts and dwfisk, I will contact the mfg tomorrow to see what I can find out. Ive seen pics of people modifying their exhausts by lowering it to grate level-what does this mod accomplish?

Morgaj1: no opening or vent into warming box to close