• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Lump you have purchased.

BayoustateBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Being in the area I am in 20 min from Tx you would think finding good lump would not be a prob. Cowboy lump is a joke, looks like the 4th of july going off. Finally found some B&B lump at academy. Thought it was nice at first, A few fist sized pieces. Boy when It started getting hot it was like the 4th of july going off. Had the dogs running for cover. On that note what makes some spark so bad. Anyone in the East Tx, LA, AR, MS. area have any luck finding decent lump?

I like Whicked Good Competition Blend the best but since I cant find that weekend warrior is the next best t me. Humphreys and RO are good too

Has anyone used The Good One lump? I assume (look out) it's labeled for the maker of The Good One BBQ pits.

Sparking isn't a bad thing get over it it is a sign that the lump is fully carbonized some will spark more than others mesquite pops a little more. Once warmed up it will stop, and when it's in the fire box who gives a RA. You got an HEB close to ya their store brand is pretty good as is the Central Market Mesquite.

So I'm still new to the BBQ scene. I keep reading that cowboy lump is no good. What makes it so bad? What makes a good lump?

I've had nature glow and wicked good and they are both very good.

Everyone who has had maple leaf raves about it. Ozark, nature glow, Good one, and wicked good are also always consistently highly praised.

1. Central market mesquite
2. Wicked good weekend warrior
3. B&B oak lump

I like B&B Oak a lot - I'm not really concerned about the sparking. I also get WG ship to store on occasion, and that stuff is awesome. I ordered Ozark Oak a couple times to check it out and loved it, but it's definitely not cost effective for me.

Actually, the only lump I've ever tried was Kroger's. It's actually not bad. 8 lbs for 5.99 usually. I got several when they were on sale for 3.99 last year, there wasn't too much powder but there were significant amounts of small peices. Only a few pieces of residue in the ones I got (Including steel spikes and what looked like insulation). I'm tempted to buy the BGE lump at the dealer here but I think it only comes in 40 lb bags there so storage might be an issue for me.

B&B does spark in the chimney, but after its in the pit and heats up it stops.

For the money, its the best lump that I have tried. Wicked Good is great but expensive.

B&B comes from central texas and it's a good, reasonably priced lump but does spark when lighting.

Ozark Oak comes form Arkansas and most folks prefer it. It's a price point decision with it, some places have it cheap, while others bump the price because of its popularity.

Royal Oak, red bags, you can typically find at wally world during the warmer months. Make sure product of USA. It's good lump for the money. Royal packages BGE lump too, so can't tell much difference, other than price and availability.

t

Actually, the only lump I've ever tried was Kroger's. It's actually not bad. 8 lbs for 5.99 usually. I got several when they were on sale for 3.99 last year, there wasn't too much powder but there were significant amounts of small peices. Only a few pieces of residue in the ones I got (Including steel spikes and what looked like insulation). I'm tempted to buy the BGE lump at the dealer here but I think it only comes in 40 lb bags there so storage might be an issue for me.

I just bought my first bag of Kroger last weekend, and it was pretty good. A lot of mill scrap, but thats fine. Most of it was medium sized, I would buy it again.

The thing I like about Wicked Good is there are a lot of huge pieces, and a good asst of medium to small as well. I really think it lasts longer than the Kroger, so it might not be that much more expensive in the long run.

I will keep buying WW with Kroger as a backup, I refuse to go to Wally world for anything (but I did try a bag of Best of the West from them once and it was a waste of money) If I can find RO anyplace I would try it also

Back