Contest Announcment SUNY Old Westbury 5/3/13

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Old Westbury BBQ Throwdown

Date
: Friday, May 3
Location: SUNY Old Westbury (LIE to 106/107 north, just passed Jericho Tpk).
Type of Event: Full BBQ (chicken, ribs, pork, brisket)
Rules: BBQ Brethren
Proclamation: Working on state proclamation from Governors Office.
Entry Fee: $150.00 w/ ALL money going back to the teams
Lots: Standard size, but we can get you as much space as you need. No extra fee.

Yes, this is on a Friday. Teams can arrive Thursday evening or early Friday.

This is a fantastic opportunity for BBQ on Long Island and your supporting the event would go a long way towards us making this an annual and large contest.

The venue is HUGE and accommodating.

http://www.oldwestbury.edu/about/maps.cfm

Payment can be sent via check made out to BBQ Brethren and mailed to:

BBQ Brethren
PO Box 58
St. James, NY 11780

Please include a note with: Your name, team name, number of people on the team, email address, phone, size lot you need if 20 by 20 doesn't work and what time you'd like to arrive. Please email the same information with "Old Westbury" in the subject line to: events@bbq-brethren.net

I'll be posting soon about some amenities.

Eric

Last edited:
Yes, all turn-ins, judging, awards, prizes on Friday.

You can, if you'd like, arrive on Thursday evening.

Eric

There will be butchery demonstrations onsite by the master butcher for J. Kings as well as showings of BBQ related documentaries by the Southern Foodway Alliance.

I'll be following up with some other amenities soon.

Eric

Check sat.am...turn in at noon?

There is no Saturday am. Everything will be concluded by Friday evening.

Standard turn in times.

Teams can arrive Thursday if they'd like. Someone will be available for meat inspections Thursday evening.

Eric

I love the idea of another local competition, but the Thursday/Friday scheduling is likely a deal breaker for us.

I love the idea of another local competition, but the Thursday/Friday scheduling is likely a deal breaker for us.

same here, that's three days off work. wed. finish prep/pack, thursday travel/setup, friday turn ins.

if i was to take three days, i'd go on vaca. somewhere other than L.I. :icon_smile_tongue:

The weekday, one day, full KCBS kills it for us. It would be managable if it was a Friday/Saturday contest. It's a shame because my brother and teammate lives only one town away in Hicksville.

I love people who chime in and say why Friday....yada yada yada. Especially new England teams who never support LI contests. If u want to say something pig maker, say it. Yes I am calling u out.

The problem with not making it a four category event is that it wouldn't be a qualifier.

Would the event be more attractive as a non-qualifier and a rib and chicken contest, making it much more feasible to just show up Friday morning?

Eric

I would make it a non qualifier. Having a contest as a qualifier that is limited to people to me is not fair, and to some people will seem like an unfair advantage. Just my opinion.

Eric,

I will only speak for my team so here goes. We have cooked Friday/Saturday contests in New England and down in MABA territory and usually sneaking a friday off to do so is not too difficult a task. We pack up Thursday night and leave early Friday morning. If we are going to cook a 4 meat contest on a Friday only event, we will need to get there to start cooking and setup early Thursday night. We have to get home, grab something to eat, then drive there, get set up and then start cooking. Thats a tall order for us. Hell, we suck as it is. That will only make it worse.

Back