MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #46
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Hell, I bet a porterhouse at a prime steak house will cost you close to 100/person for the meal. 25/lb is a steal. I wish I could visit NYC just once. I'd make it a point to visit the joint.
No pun intended, right?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #47
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJack from KC View Post
Let's do some math here, you will be surprised what it cost when you or I cook the food.

This is KC prices, inflate as necessary to make NY prices.

12 pound packer at $3 per pound = $36

This probably actually yields 7 pounds of meat.

Fuel for the cook $6
Spices $2-$3
Paper Towels/Gloves/Aluminum Foil $2
Disposable Cutting Board $1
Cost for capitial expense of buying the Smoker Cooker, cutlery, temp control $5-$50 depending on how much you spent and how often you use it.
BBQ Sauce $2
Injections/Marinade $2

I am sure I am missing stuff, but we are at between $56-$100 for that 7 pounds of meat so between $8-$14 per pound of cost. That doesn't cover any labor, overhead or profit AND those are Kansas City Prices.

$25 in NYC for good brisket is a very reasonable price.
I think your numbers are spot on for just about anywhere, the overhead costs are what gets you. For the restaurant business, you can figure overhead and labor at 30% to 40% of total cost to customer. At $25, that would mean that each pound of meat has indirect overhead costs of $7.50, add that to your base cost of $14 a pound, and you find that you are at $21.50 per pound/cost out the door. A 14% margin, if you assume national average costs.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #48
ODU Dad
On the road to being a farker

I don't doubt that 1) charging $25/lb in NYC for brisket is necessary to keep the doors open and 2) there are people in NYC who are making enough to justify spending that much for BBQ. I don't live there and don't make that kind of money, so I will just be happy with my pork butts in my back yard in Virginia. And if I am spending that kind of money, it will be on seafood and not tough pieces of beef cooked for a long time.
ODU Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #49
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODU Dad View Post
And if I am spending that kind of money, it will be on seafood and not tough pieces of beef cooked for a long time.
Actually the funny thing is that the wife is endlessly wanting us to go to seafood restaurants. I never do and I love seafood. My thinking is usually for the amount I'd pay for dozen oysters and 2 entrees at a restaurant I can shuck my own, boil a lobster, steam some clams and all for under $100 and under an hour.

But I wouldn't say someone who enjoys seafood restaurants are suckers. If someone wanted recommendations to some I have plenty. This is a far cry from what you hear plenty of haters say about BBQ joints. That it OUGHT to be $4 for a sandwich or the like.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #50
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Boy that looks good. I'm starving!
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote