• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Box

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for some input on our box. We are doing our first comp ( ribs only ) in May, and we had a practice session on Saturday. This was the first time we put a box together, so we would love to know what you all think we did, both things we did good, as well as things to consider for the next time. We are doing another cook in two weeks.

Thanks Everyone!!

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg
Pq6FS7PFlpUEwFsFjFYYF89kfm65a8MjCr7hUpcSak0

As a CBJ I'd give this box an 8 on appearance.
I like the way the ribs sit on top of the garnish instead of down into it. I like the overall symetry of the box. What I think could be improved on: the cuts are not all even, the sauce could be spread a bit more evenly, there are some blotches on some of the ribs, and dark specks that detract from the appearance. The ribs are not all the same size (not a big deal to me, but IS a BIG deal to some CBJs).
Pretty good box (especially for a first time)! A few tweaks and it would be excellent!

Thanks Tom!! I appreciate the tips... I need to figure out what to do about the dark splotches. They were on the meat, so it isn't from the sauce. This is the second time we have had those splotches, and with different cookers too...

I've been seeing some dark splotches on a couple of recent practice rib cooks too. Any idea where they come from?

I think those look real good for a first time. I would have slid the botum ones foward just a hair and the top back a little to frame them (so greens suround them). My opinion if the bones are curving off put them in the box like that. So they are even across the top and bottom. I wouldn't worry about the blotches cameras see better than the naked eye. I see a lot of things in pics after turnins (blotches, streaks) that we couldn't see with the naked eye. I give a strong 8.

Solid 8. I would suggest to either trim the ribs that are up on the others so they are straight across the top or slide the one on the left up and and the next one up a little and the last one down a little so they angle down in a straight line. Just a thought to try and see how it looks. keith

As a CBJ I'd give this box an 8 on appearance.
.... there are some blotches on some of the ribs, and dark specks that detract from the appearance...

See as a CBJ I'm just the opposite. If there weren't specs, and just perfect sauce it looks like the sauced wasn't cooked or or integrated into the final product. In reality I judge as present (specs or not).

As for the ribs, having done a lot of my rib boxes I can tell what happened. The ribs don't run straight up and down. In fact, if you put the ribs down the way there were on the rack, you probably would have a straight light across the top, but the ribs wouldn't run vertical, they would be more angled (say top left toward lower right).

Good first box, I'd give it an 8.

Remember to close the lid and let your entry sit for 15 minutes after plating before taking a photo or taste testing. That is the length of time from your tent, to the turn in, to the judging table, til be opened by the judges. That way you can see if your sauce runs or the condensation ruins your box...

Enjoy and good luck ya'll!!!

Neil

Nice box - a solid 8 here with time to analyze every minutia; probably a 9 at the table. I would have changed out the 2nd and 4th rib from the left on the bottom row. The 2nd rib is considerably narrower than the others and the 4th one isn't cut square - the side meat is a little distracting.

I've been seeing some dark splotches on a couple of recent practice rib cooks too. Any idea where they come from?
It's the bone marrow dripping out of the upper rack when they are cooked on a vertical or rotisserie. It stains the meat and it won't come out.

Last edited:
JMHO, but it looks like you had room for another row. I like to present a full box if they fit. Very nice for a first box, wish my first one looked that good.I'd give it an 8.

I'd give it a solid 8. Just keep in mind that for the rib cook off, the organizers are selling judging spots to make sure they have enough judges (and to raise money for charity). Alot of the rib cook off judges will not be CBJs, but I believe the reps give them a crash course in what to look for, etc.

Stop by and say hi if you get the chance. Always like to share a cold one with a fellow brethren.

,nice looking racks, as i always say its up to the fking judges,,,u win there great,u lose u pick them apart......

Back