MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Default Has anyone built a barbecue hut?

I'm looking for some ideas/plans to build some kind of a barbecue hut with a roof and the possibility to close it in for the New England winters. I've seen some Tiki style huts online, but I am really looking for something I can build more budget minded, as in low budget.

I guess this idea would be better suited for a BGE or WSM style cooker, but I'd like to be able to use it with a Weber Kettle. It would be nice to be able to stay out of the rain, and even better the snow and wind in the winter. Of course I want to avoid burning it down and also asphyxiation.

I'm thinking something small and not too elaborate. Simple roof, maybe corrugated panels if that's cheaper than shingles. Maybe some used storm windows or doors to close it in for the winter and be able to open them for ventilation. In the summer it could be open on the sides and just the roof for protection from the sun and rain.

Do any of you have something like this? Am I crazy? Links, ideas, etc.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is a very recent discussion about it with lots of examples.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108239
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
dharding0509
Got rid of the matchlight.

Im building a cooker out of a 275gallon fuel oil tank. can some help me with some questions about the burners. How do I change over from the main propane line to the burners. I know that there has to be a piece in there that lets me light the fire. what is that piece called?
dharding0509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

check some of these out.
http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum...ockhuettenbau/

Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I am just finishing up the structural aspect with regard to my backyard hut. Not enough room on my deck for the grills so I built this. Going to add power, lighting, small side pony walls with lattice for climbing vines and an optional rear canvas rollup wall for winter months.

GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Did you pour footings for the 4 corner posts? What are the dimensions? Are the floor joists 2x6 or 2x8? What are you going to use for roofing? Sorry for so many questions, but I was thinking of doing something along this idea. I don't want to spend a lot, but I would like something for year round use and strong enough to survive a New England blizzard.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Dyce51
On the road to being a farker

Here's a pic of one that a member of another site built...He did an awesome job on it!!

Dyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

use a poured concrete floor or pavers on sand. less risk of fire, and less maintainance imo.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

If I were to do it again, I would pour the footings. For mine I simply buried the piers and packed them with dirt. There was some sheer that I alleviated by bracing the back with 2x8's. Going to do a similar rail as the post above for the sides and back, leaving the front open. It's pretty darned sturdy and only cost about $300 to build.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
If I were to do it again, I would pour the footings. For mine I simply buried the piers and packed them with dirt. There was some sheer that I alleviated by bracing the back with 2x8's. Going to do a similar rail as the post above for the sides and back, leaving the front open. It's pretty darned sturdy and only cost about $300 to build.
What did you use for the floor joists, 2x6 or 2x8? How about the roof? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob View Post
What did you use for the floor joists, 2x6 or 2x8? How about the roof? Thanks.
My neighbor had a spare 4x6 that you see on the back support at the base, I built that to level then used 2x6 floor joists 22 inches on center...from there we racked the structure with front and side plates using 2x6's, once squared up, I just slipped the rafter 2x6's into pre-installed joist hangers, same as the sub floor structure.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #12
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

What are the dimensions of the platform?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob View Post
What are the dimensions of the platform?
Mine is about 9x13. It was a simple ballpark call when I thought about how big I wanted it, to reduce waste from lumber. When I first started out, it was just going to be a lean-to roof, no deck...see what happens?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

I built a 10x12 pergola and then planted some fast growing vines beside each of the legs. It's been almost a year now and the vines are up on the top and providing some really cheap shade. Besides, they flower 2 or 3 times a year. Granted it doesn't work well for rain but then I usually don't plan to cook in the rain anyway. Probably cost me $200 for all the lumber and stuff. Did I mention that I'm a cheap SOB?

Russ