• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking a brisket

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am new at using a smoker and have a lot to learn. When I hear others talk about smoking a brisket, I hear "low and slow" and "18 hours" etc. However, 18 hours seems like a LONG time for some briskets. How do you know when to take the meat off the smoker? I put a 6.5 pounder on the offset about midnight (225-250 degrees) and (thinking longer is better) took it off at 3 P.M. and it was too well done. Good burnt ends, though...

Please advise...

Thanks in advance!

Dan
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

WineMaster;[URL="javascript:void(0)" said:
927848[/URL]]Your probably mistaking that its too done for not done enough.

Really? I never thought of that! The meat was tasty, but I didn't have any sauce on it, so it was a touch on the dry side.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

when people are talking about a 18 hour smoke it is usually with a whole brisket, thats flat and point attached, usually about 12-14lbs, and will take a good 16-20 hrs to smoke, a 6lb flat should be done in about 9-11 hrs depending on the temp of the smoker.

early mornin' smokin';[URL="javascript:void(0)" said:
927854[/URL]]when people are talking about a 18 hour smoke it is usually with a whole brisket, thats flat and point attached, usually about 12-14lbs, and will take a good 16-20 hrs to smoke, a 6lb flat should be done in about 9-11 hrs depending on the temp of the smoker.

aha...thanks a lot. I did find a good looking recipe for "Brisket Chili" in the recipe section, so I think I'll try that with the left overs.

Yup! Flats will be done much sooner. In part, that is why I've never cooked a flat.

A packer trim brisket, with a "nose", and with a nice fat cap is the way to go, IMHO. Cook that low and slow, with the fat cap "up" is the conventional wisdom. However, some of the brethren have been "speed cooking" briskets.

Smoking the brisket for a good 17-22 hours has given me great results, with the fat rendering off and basting the meat on the way down, turning it into a truly glorious tender state. And the nose? WOW! I find myself picking bark off that part of the brisket before anyone else gets to it, under the "cook's privilege" rule.

Also, flats tend to be a bit more dry, again, because there is not much by way of basting going on: Most flats have much of the fat cap trimmed off.

Time means nothing. Its the internal temperature that matters. What was the temp when you pulled it.
Pics help.

You can cook a flat in 8-10 hours depending on its thickness and temp.

What kind of cooker are you using? Is this grate temp you speak of?
More info please!

He cooked a 6.5 pounder for 15 hours at 225-250.

I do not think it was not cooked enough.
I'm guessing the comment that they were good for "burnt ends" was pretty spot on!:biggrin:

I never cook a whole for that long, but I usually run my heat a little high around 270-280

I cooked 14 packer briskets today for less than 8 hours at around 260. Most were only around 190 when taken off (they're in the walk-in cooler to slice tomorrow, add some juices and heat in the oven for a luncheon. Weird stuff that a smoker full of packers was nearly done in less than 8 hours. It just depends on the meat too. These were select grade (not MY choice to order!) so maybe that had something to do with it. Get a feel for what's "done" by pushing on your brisket. Also, slide a probe it... when there's no resistance, it's done. Takes practice.

Your probably mistaking that its too done for not done enough.
this is probly the issue :icon_devil low and slow means 200 to 250 for as long as it takes to get to 185 to 190 depends on how you like it dont worry about time worry about temp of cooker first and internal of meat second and sit back and wait for the 185 to 190 even if it seems like its to long and it (looks ) done you will be fine we all did this post pics and have fun brother:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil

agree with the ones that said for a 6 pound flat that was in there way too long.

check the brisket howto in the roadmap a weath of information. internal temp if you are paranoid like me, or sliding a probe in and it should be like going through warm butter, are the ways to tell if it's done. Though I've known people that can touch the outside and tell.

the very loose time guesstimate on low and slow for a brisket is like 1-1.5 hours per pound. But it is always trumped by your doneness checks.

snoqualmiesmoker;[URL="javascript:void(0)" said:
928021[/URL]]Time means nothing. Its the internal temperature that matters. What was the temp when you pulled it.
Pics help.

You can cook a flat in 8-10 hours depending on its thickness and temp.

What kind of cooker are you using? Is this grate temp you speak of?
More info please!

The internal temp when I pulled it was 159-160. I was using a Brinkman SnP. I am judging the temp by the thermometer in the lid.

I ended up chopping it up and making some pretty awesome nachos out of it...so, not a total loss.

I still welcome any and all comments...

Dan

The internal temp when I pulled it was 159-160. I was using a Brinkman SnP. I am judging the temp by the thermometer in the lid.
Dan
Just to make sure you are not confused, when we say internal temp, we are refering to he internal temp of the meat, not the smoker... If the internal temp of the meat was 159-160, then it was underdone indeed!

Just to make sure you are not confused, when we say internal temp, we are refering to he internal temp of the meat, not the smoker... If the internal temp of the meat was 159-160, then it was underdone indeed!

And if the lid temp was 160° you'd never get it done.

I love Brisket threads...makes my mouth water!! Robkc, love your sig pic!! As a tiger fan living in Kansas I love the logo design!! People outside these parts don't get all the hate...but it's there!!

I wasn't going to do a brisket this weekend but all this talk changed my mind. I'm going to St. Louis to vists my parents (and watch the Cards/Royals games) and my dad has a new off-set I have never used before, so I though a few ribs and butts would be easier, but man I love brisket!!

Hey guys, I really appreciate the help. I haven't been very clear. The internal temp of the meat was 159-160. The thermometer on the lid read 220-230 throughout the cooking. Someone asked about the temperature of the grill plates, I think. Do you guys measure that? If so, how? Thanks again!

Back