MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default Looking for summer sausage recipe

We shot several deer this weekend and we want to make summer sausage and jerky. I want to keep it simple as I have never attempted sausage before only jerky. I plan on buying synthetic casings. I do have a grinder. Does anyone feel like passing a delicious recipe down and some tips on how to make it? I have a UDS, an oven and an electric smoker. Also I would prefer a recipe for just deer meat without adding beef or pork.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
We shot several deer this weekend and we want to make summer sausage and jerky. I want to keep it simple as I have never attempted sausage before only jerky. I plan on buying synthetic casings. I do have a grinder. Does anyone feel like passing a delicious recipe down and some tips on how to make it? I have a UDS, an oven and an electric smoker. Also I would prefer a recipe for just deer meat without adding beef or pork.
Here is what i used last year....

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/...merSausage.pdf
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
IamMadMan

60% venison..
15% beef...
15% pork....
10% tallow (beef and/or/pork)

OR

3lb venison ground
2lb pork butt ground
1/2 cup water
3 TBSP morton's tender quick
2 TBS red pepper flakes
2 TBS ground mustard seed
2 Tsp coarse black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground celery seed (optional)

Original recipe said to combine all ingredients , cover and refridgerate for 3 days, mixing twice daily.

Put in smoker at 225-250 until internal temp is 155.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys I appreciate the tips. I have never made it before. I got one question though. I see lots that are just saying form into logs. They don't even mention stuffing into a casing. Does it matter? Will this affect the flavor? I just cannot ever recall eating someone elses summer sausage that was just a big ball of "meatloaf" so to speak lol. Seems as if they always had a casing you peeled away.

One other thing what if I just wanted to use straight venison without mixing beef or pork?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
IamMadMan

Quote:
Thanks guys I appreciate the tips. I have never made it before. I got one question though. I see lots that are just saying form into logs. They don't even mention stuffing into a casing. Does it matter? Will this affect the flavor? I just cannot ever recall eating someone elses summer sausage that was just a big ball of "meatloaf" so to speak lol. Seems as if they always had a casing you peeled away.

One other thing what if I just wanted to use straight venison without mixing beef or pork?
I have seem people shape into logs because they do not want to stuff into casings. You do loose some fat which might slightly effect flavor, but not enough to worry about. Undoubtedly the stuffed casing is a much nicer presentation of the product than a hand formed roll or loaf. It is not hard or difficult to stuff into a larger 61 mm casing.

As far as using straight venison, keep in mind that it is very lean, and the addition of pork and beef will add fat into the mix to allow the sausage gain flavor from the mix.

On an ending note... Be sure you use TenderQuick or some type of cure to prevent food borne illnesses.. TenderQuick, Prague Powder #1, and Pink Salt #1 are NOT interchangeable....!!!!! Use the curing product according to directions. TenderQuick is the easiest product to use for a beginner.

Also check out The Sausage Maker. in Buffalo, NY. They sell spice and casing kits, even stuffers.

If you register here you get a $10.00 off coupon on your first order. You can use the coupon on-line today if you want.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I have seem people shape into logs because they do not want to stuff into casings. You do loose some fat which might slightly effect flavor, but not enough to worry about. Undoubtedly the stuffed casing is a much nicer presentation of the product than a hand formed roll or loaf. It is not hard or difficult to stuff into a larger 61 mm casing.

As far as using straight venison, keep in mind that it is very lean, and the addition of pork and beef will add fat into the mix to allow the sausage gain flavor from the mix.

On an ending note... Be sure you use TenderQuick or some type of cure to prevent food borne illnesses.. TenderQuick, Prague Powder #1, and Pink Salt #1 are NOT interchangeable....!!!!! Use the curing product according to directions. TenderQuick is the easiest product to use for a beginner.

Also check out The Sausage Maker. in Buffalo, NY. They sell spice and casing kits, even stuffers.

If you register here you get a $10.00 off coupon on your first order. You can use the coupon on-line today if you want.

Thanks I bought some synthetic casings from my local locker today but he said smoke would not penetrate them. He used liquid smoke. Thats not what I wanted to hear. I think I may just make logs and put them on my electric smoker over hickory. I went 3 lbs venison and 2 lbs pork trimmings. It is curing in fridge right now.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
padge31
Full Fledged Farker

I used high mountain summer sausage kit. It was easy to use and turned out great.
padge31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman0321 View Post
I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Why?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Thanks I bought some synthetic casings from my local locker today but he said smoke would not penetrate them. He used liquid smoke. Thats not what I wanted to hear. I think I may just make logs and put them on my electric smoker over hickory. I went 3 lbs venison and 2 lbs pork trimmings. It is curing in fridge right now.
That's a good mix, the reason for the pork is the fat content. Pork butts work great with the fat cap included.

If they are synthetic fibrous casings, or cellulose casing smoke will penetrate them, but if they are solid sheets he is probably right.

You can order casings ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until needed.

Another thing you can try is to cold smoke the meat (no heat) in shallow trays for 4 hours before you give a final mix and stuff into casings. Then bring the smoker to temperature. It is a little extra work, but the logs will also work out fine for you.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by padge31 View Post
I used high mountain summer sausage kit. It was easy to use and turned out great.
Hi Mountain has good kits, I think they make 15lb per kit. They are great for beginners as they include everything, spices, cure, and even the casings.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
WildmanWilson
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You will not be happy without some fat in it. Deer is too lean. Also you need to have a cooker that has a low starting point of around 100 and move it up slowly to about 175 or so.
WildmanWilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanWilson View Post
You will not be happy without some fat in it. Deer is too lean. Also you need to have a cooker that has a low starting point of around 100 and move it up slowly to about 175 or so.
What happens if you smoke low around 170 start to finish

Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Hi Mountain has good kits, I think they make 15lb per kit. They are great for beginners as they include everything, spices, cure, and even the casings.

These casings I bought today are dry casing. He said to soak them in water before stuffing and they are not refrigerated. They look just like these: http://www.sausagemaker.com/24100bee...gs23861mm.aspx

Note that these also say to soak in water. Are these the type you said WILL get smoke through them? He said they wouldn't but who knows............

And here is a pic i took of the casings I bought today. This looks like the synthetic fibrous type in the link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13866458046260.jpg (43.7 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by cmwr; 12-09-2013 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
IamMadMan

It's hard to tell from the picture, but fibrous casing that I buy are not that shiny. Could just be the angle of your flash, I don't know. Try to blow air sideways through the casing, if air flows through then so will smoke.

They do look very similar, if you can blow air through them I would use them. Air will pass slowly through them.

EDIT: I believe they will work because they have to let moisture escape and heated air in as part of the cooking process. If moisture escapes, then smoke can enter.

One day or two extra days in the refrigerator will not hurt. You can also move to the lowest part, or the coldest area of the fridge. I often cannot get to complete the task as planned sometimes and have had to wait a day or two before stuffing. The cure slows down when it nears freezing temperatures.

If you didn't want to wait, most sporting goods stores carry Hi-Mountian Cures. You could buy the kits use the casings and save the cure until the ordered casings arrive and then process another batch later. Each box will cure about 30 pounds of meat (10 3lb casings).

Although the casings do not require refrigeration, I keep them with my hog casings in the refrigerator to make sure they are fresh and don't get misplaced.