Wife wants me to do smoked pork chops. How?

gourmand71

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Not only does she want me to smoke 'em...they're in the fridge right now, ready for tomorrow.

All advice for smoking pork chops welcome.

Hopefully, they are nice and thick.

I like to put them in a light brine, no cure is needed. Then let them sit for at least 12 hours. Smoke them for just an hour or so, them pan fry them to get a crust.

Light Brine:
3 cups water
1/4 cup salt, I use RealSalt Kosher salt. Use less salt if you are using table or fine salt.
1/8 cup brown sugar, or 1/8 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat everything to combine.

When I smoke lean pork, I keep the smoker at about 180-200, and put the meat in straight from the fridge, so it takes as long as possible to get to 145 - 150 IT.

With pork chops, you would probably smoke to about 135 IT and give it a quick sear before serving.

CD

Reverse sear them. Smoke them to about 135 degrees, then throw them direct cook over a hot fire till about 145-150 degrees (I personally like them at 145 internal temp, but some people aren't comfortable eating pork with pink in them even though it is safe)

When I smoke lean pork, I keep the smoker at about 180-200, and put the meat in straight from the fridge, so it takes as long as possible to get to 145 - 150 IT.

With pork chops, you would probably smoke to about 135 IT and give it a quick sear before serving.

CD

^^^ I agree with CD; I would smoke very low then reverse sear. If you're not familiar with reverse sear it simply means to finish over hot fire/coals to get the right color and flavor you want in a chop. Good luck with your cook! Be sure to post pic's!

Hopefully, they are nice and thick.

I like to put them in a light brine, no cure is needed. Then let them sit for at least 12 hours. Smoke them for just an hour or so, them pan fry them to get a crust.

Light Brine:
3 cups water
1/4 cup salt, I use RealSalt Kosher salt. Use less salt if you are using table or fine salt.
1/8 cup brown sugar, or 1/8 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat everything to combine.

I'm on the lite brine too, mine is a hair lighter.

7/8 ounce salt
1 quart water
1 tablespoon sugar (or 2 tablespoons agave nectar)

I cook chops to 145° internal. If I want them seared I'll pull around 135° and rest whilst ramping up the cooker, then return and sear (still being mindful of the 145° finish). But I'm liking the idea of a pan finish :thumb:, a cast iron skillet or griddle right on the cooker would be perfect for this, can't wait to try it. Oh, here is what a brined chop will look like:

7DEG1.jpg

If she is wanting the Smoked Pork Chops like the ones yo can buy in the local food emporiums meat case I recommend and overnight brine in in a Canadian bacon type brew. Cook indirect to 130 and reverse sere

If she is wanting the Smoked Pork Chops like the ones yo can buy in the local food emporiums meat case I recommend and overnight brine in in a Canadian bacon type brew. Cook indirect to 130 and reverse sere

I don't think she is hoping I can match anything she's had before. Hope not!

Boy, I sometimes forget cured and smoked chops or pork steaks... these will come out like ham. Good reminder. Here is my recipe for the cure:

thirdeye's Tenderquick Dry Cure for Buckboard Bacon and Smoked Chop

Per ONE pound of pork loin, boneless pork butt or chops:
1 Tablespoon of Tenderquick
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of maple sugar
1 teaspoon of garlic powder (optional)
Sprinkle of black pepper to the meat before adding the curing mixture, maybe a little more after the soak-out.

Weigh your chops, adjust for the bone, measure out the correct amount of cure, rub the chops with the cure, place in a zipper bag in the fridge for 48 hours, turning every 12 hours. Rinse the chops. Soak them in water for 6 hours (in the fridge), then rinse and and rest (also in the fridge), about 6 or 7 hours, overnight is okay too. Smoke them as close to 180° pit temp, until the internal is 150°, which will take about 90 minutes. If you can't hold 180° in your smoker, shoot for 200° or 225°. They will look like this:

DSC05027AB.jpg

You have good advice up there... brine and reverse sear...

Back