MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Rez90
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default The time has come....to upgrade. Traeger vs Rec Tec...HELP!

I have a 22.5 WSM and i love it...but i want to supplement/upgrade to a wood pellet grill.

They are the same price....about the same size (Texas Grill vs Rec Tec)...and i can't decide.

Traeger has a 3 year warranty while Rec Tec has a 6 year warranty. BUT....Traeger has been in business for over 30 years....Rec Tec....I have no idea.

I STRONGLY prefer the look of the Traeger...but from what i'm reading the Rec Tec seems to be built better....

I can't decide!!! PLEASE HELP!??!
Rez90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I just bought a Louisiana grills one. 3 year warranty and it is made on our shore not china. Looking at the rec tec site it doesn't say where it's made. To me that's a big deal

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

I'm pretty sure that by lookin at them, you can tell the barrels are probably made at the same china shop. I have a heavily modified traeger and while I have a way higher top end temp, 200 500 the rec Tec performs just as well.
here is a performance review of the Rec Tec
If your buying it to replace a grill you will be dissatisfied as most pellet owners are. It's easy to make up a direct grilling setup though. Rec Tec also uses stainless parts also where as traeger doesn't.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Rez90
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
I'm pretty sure that by lookin at them, you can tell the barrels are probably made at the same china shop. I have a heavily modified traeger and while I have a way higher top end temp, 200 500 the rec Tec performs just as well.
here is a performance review of the Rec Tec
If your buying it to replace a grill you will be dissatisfied as most pellet owners are. It's easy to make up a direct grilling setup though. Rec Tec also uses stainless parts also where as traeger doesn't.
Thank you for the help. I am not replacing my grill though...I will be primarily using this for smoking.
Rez90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

and there it is right on the box of the picture of the performance review. lets be a little prouder of our own products. Louisiana grills are made here.!! the price is too comparable to go china http://www.louisiana-grills.com/
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
northwesto
Knows what a fatty is.

I've owned my Texas for one year now and have used it every week since I bought it last November. Ran it three days straight for a big cook last May without any problems. I bought mine at Costco and for the price point I don't think I could have done better. Probably going to add one more Traeger to my collection but I can't figure out which one.
northwesto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
and there it is right on the box of the picture of the performance review. lets be a little prouder of our own products. Louisiana grills are made here.!! the price is too comparable to go china http://www.louisiana-grills.com/
Don't know which state your from, but until your president straightens china out that way American products can compete, I myself would buy a grill that is $$$ cheaper. Wait I did. When the American public is pinching pennies and if your like my wife and I, paying $.55 of tax on every $1 you make, you learn to penny pinch. So at thIs state in time, it is what it is, 1 or 1000 sales won't make a difference. Maybe one day! Faith is a powerful thing though.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Default Question is

Where are the Rec-tech grills made? I still don't know....
And P.S. I like the fact that it doesn't look like every other grill out there. Not sure if red is the best color but.... to each his own.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I owned a Lil Tex for several years and it gave me good service for what it is--an entry level pellet smoker.
Can't help you with the Rec Tec.

The pellet smoker/grill market has exploded.
Lots of options at every price point.

Happy Shopping

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

BBQ sauce reviews just did a review on the rec tec. I believe he said it was made in china.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

I'm EXACTLY in the same boat looking for an entry level pellet pooper. Thus far,I've been leaning toward the GMG Jim Bowie just based on reviews I've read. I like the look of the Rec Tec but it doesn't have a cover made for it and that bothers me. In fact, it lacks accessories all together. I want something I can cook at home with as well as comps, so space is another thing I've been looking at. My two cents.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd look at the smoke daddy pellet pro..better deal and some better features.

http://pelletprogrill.com/grills.html

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Don't forget to look at GMG (green mountain grills). I hear they have some features that other pellet grills don't have.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bah. Old post is old!
What'd you end up buying?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have you considered a Yoder?
They seem to be in the price range as the ones you mentioned as far as I can see.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys480-pellet-grill.html

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->