Recent Wicked Good Charcoal...

Marrs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone bought wicked good charcoal recently? If so, what was your experience?

I used it for a while, but my last batch was terrible. I had three bags with a lot of small pieces, bad burn and real sparky. :mmph:

I'd like to try it again, but want to make sure they got their quality back up.

Thanks, j

Haven't since December. Used some sat for a 12hr cook and was good as ever. Had about half leftover. Some nice size pieces in the cook though.

I've only bought one 22#'er last year. I was not impressed with it. Burned up fast, not great heat, and lots of sparking.
For the $$$, I'll just stick with RO lump.

I got a bag a few months back from Ace when they were still selling it, and it was the dense, heavy WGWW people love and the burn was great for slow cooks, but I didn't like it for quick, hot cooks, but the worst part was it smelled like an ashtray. Not the flavor I'm looking for in my food.

I get it by the pallet, I haven't noticed a change overall. Still super dense, long burns low ash. I get a random bag that a bit more sparky but overall I haven't noticed a change

I get it by the pallet, I haven't noticed a change overall. Still super dense, long burns low ash. I get a random bag that a bit more sparky but overall I haven't noticed a change

When was your last purchase?

I bought 4 bags of it at the end of spring. I have went through only 2 of the bags, as I have cowboy lump and kbb from the sales that I am going through right now.

The bags from the spring are the same great quality that WGWW has been since i started using them last summer.

It probably all depends on when the store you are buying from got their shipments from WG. Some could be older stock with the "better" charcoal, and some newer with the "lesser" charcoal.

Mid to late May this year.

Good to know. I got mine from them before that. Seems like there were some other people here complaining right after that purchase. Up until that batch I was planning to graduate to pallet to reduce costs. That batch was the worst of any brand I've used.

The stuff before was great.

I may order another round and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I managed to come across a couple bags at Ace Hardware one day a couple months back.

No complaints here from me. Lots of big pieces, little ash and not a whole lot of sparking when I was light it with the torch. I would give it another shot, with charcoal you're going to run across a bad batch every now and then no matter if it's RO, Stubbs, WG, or B&B. Only issue I have is that it's kind of expensive and Academy sports has a really good price point with B&B down here.

Back