MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Appearance Scoring: How long do judges look at it?

Just curious how many seconds the judges typically look at a box before giving an appearance score. Also does each judge get their own turn to look it over, or does everyon look it over together?

Answers from all sanctioning bodies are welcome but mostly wondering about KCBS and IBCA. Thanks.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

In KCBS, the table captain passes it before each judge until the judge indicates that he/she has has seen it long enough. Probably averages no more than 10-15 seconds.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Probably averages no more than 10-15 seconds.
More like 4-5 seconds.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
More like 4-5 seconds.
Yeah, I think that is closer.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I have judged 3 and TC'ed 5 KCBS contests this year and the average time for each judge is 4 seconds. I know because I have timed it.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
I have judged 3 and TC'ed 5 KCBS contests this year and the average time for each judge is 4 seconds. I know because I have timed it.
I am glad to hear this and think its a good thing that judges don't get a bunch of time to look for every out of place thing that they can find. If a judge uses their 4-5 seconds to look for minor cosmetic imperfections instead of deciding how appetizing the meat looks then shame on them. I doubt this happens much because it seems that the criticisms found on BBQCRITIC seem to be more extreme than what happens in a real time setting.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS = 4-5 seconds with the box being presented before each judge by the Table Captain.

MBN = 10-15 seconds (longer if necessary) with the boxes being open in the middle of the table and the judges moving around (if necessary) to get a good look at the boxes.

NCBS = similar to KCBS.

I hope this helps!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually start looking as the box is being presented down the table, I look at the sides as it is shown to the judge next to me then I am looking straight down as the table captain reaches me. I probably look at each box for about 10 seconds, 4 to 5 while in front of me. I never even look at the garnish or the box lid or for sauce on the side of the box, I only look at the meat. Now if the meat is buried in the garnish then I have to look at it and try to score around the garnish.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

They actually look? Just kidding, couldn't resist.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Just curious how many seconds the judges typically look at a box before giving an appearance score. Also does each judge get their own turn to look it over, or does everyon look it over together?

Answers from all sanctioning bodies are welcome but mostly wondering about KCBS and IBCA. Thanks.
If it's yours, they stare at it for hours, absolutely dumbstruck, scratching their heads, kinda staring...

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
I usually start looking as the box is being presented down the table, I look at the sides as it is shown to the judge next to me then I am looking straight down as the table captain reaches me. I probably look at each box for about 10 seconds, 4 to 5 while in front of me. I never even look at the garnish or the box lid or for sauce on the side of the box, I only look at the meat. Now if the meat is buried in the garnish then I have to look at it and try to score around the garnish.
I try to keep an eye on the box the whole time the Table Captain is presenting it, like bignburlyman does, and it's about ten seconds.
I do look at garnish, however, only because there are some types that are illegal. I don't look at it hard, though, because the meat should get most of the judge's attention, IMO.
So have you KCBS judges ever wondered why there is illegal garnish if you can't JUDGE the garnish? I have!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

4-5 seconds is a long damn time!!!.. count to 5 looking at your entry.. you can see a lot!
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

When I judge, I usually do the same as a couple mentioned above - start looking as the TC passes it around the table, and spend 4-5 seconds looking at it when the box is in front of me. I also judge on bbqcritic, and try to only spend that same amount of time when scoring. Now, when it comes to the comments/suggestions on bbqcritic - the part where you can comment on things that don't affect your score - I may take another longer look and offer a couple suggestions. As we all know, paying attention to detail matters. This has all helped me in practice and at the one backyard comp I have done.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

first off, i'm not a certified judge, nor have I judged a contest. But first impressions are everything and my guess is every judge has their number picked within the first 2 seconds of having the box opened in front of them. Count 4 mississippi's in your head and it's a long time.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
If it's yours, they stare at it for hours, absolutely dumbstruck, scratching their heads, kinda staring...

In confusion?..............or in AWE!?!?!?