MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Default The Great American Rub Off

So….We had a bbq rub taste test at my house last night. I made 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs, one with my Rub #3, one with Yardbird, and one with McCormick Applewood rub. The ribs were not sauced.

I cut off one rib of each rub for each member of my family. The first taste of each had to be without sauce, then they could sauce it up.

Results:
My rub technically tied with Yardbird (my son & I like Yardbird, My wife and daughter liked my rub) but since I am the cook, I’ll give the tie to Yardbird.

Comparison:
Here is what is in my Rub #3
• smoked paprika
• ground black pepper
• chili powder
• garlic powder
• celery salt
• dry mustard
• cumin
• onion powder
• cayenne

My rub has good flavor but has a savory profile (note no sugar) and I use the sauce to get the sweetness (SBR hickory and brown sugar is our favorite)

Yardbird- I’ve seen this comment several times “it just tastes like BBQ” and I couldn’t agree more. It seemed to have a better smokey flavor without being oversmoked.

McCormicks Applewood rub – the taste was ok , not great, but the texture of the rub I think screwed it up. The rub is just powder (think flour or powdered sugar) with dried minced onion. All of the rubs I have seen have more of a granular structure.

Request:
So going forward I will be using more and more Yardbird. However, Yardbird lacked the heat that I like. I know many of you mix commercial rubs together or layer one over another to get the flavor your looking for. I would like to get a layer of heat (could just add some cayenne I suppose) do any of you have suggestions for a rib rub that would add some heat? I look forward to exploring more rubs, thanks!
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Fellas,

54 views and no comment on rubs that could add a little heat? Were's the luv?
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
So….We had a bbq rub taste test at my house last night. I made 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs, one with my Rub #3, one with Yardbird, and one with McCormick Applewood rub. The ribs were not sauced.

I cut off one rib of each rub for each member of my family. The first taste of each had to be without sauce, then they could sauce it up.

Results:
My rub technically tied with Yardbird (my son & I like Yardbird, My wife and daughter liked my rub) but since I am the cook, I’ll give the tie to Yardbird.

Comparison:
Here is what is in my Rub #3
• smoked paprika
• ground black pepper
• chili powder
• garlic powder
• celery salt
• dry mustard
• cumin
• onion powder
• cayenne

My rub has good flavor but has a savory profile (note no sugar) and I use the sauce to get the sweetness (SBR hickory and brown sugar is our favorite)

Yardbird- I’ve seen this comment several times “it just tastes like BBQ” and I couldn’t agree more. It seemed to have a better smokey flavor without being oversmoked.

McCormicks Applewood rub – the taste was ok , not great, but the texture of the rub I think screwed it up. The rub is just powder (think flour or powdered sugar) with dried minced onion. All of the rubs I have seen have more of a granular structure.

Request:
So going forward I will be using more and more Yardbird. However, Yardbird lacked the heat that I like. I know many of you mix commercial rubs together or layer one over another to get the flavor your looking for. I would like to get a layer of heat (could just add some cayenne I suppose) do any of you have suggestions for a rib rub that would add some heat? I look forward to exploring more rubs, thanks!
I think a lot of people use Smoking Guns HOT for the heat on Yardbird.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would suggest to try "Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple" rub.

While it is a great all around rub and I use on ribs, it has a great taste, and then a little back heat. Not strong heat, but just enough to add to the flavor profile.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Oakridge Habanero Death Dust rocks imho. You could just mix in with an existing rub you are using or layer it on the meat.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

You can listen to the penguin from the dark side or just take some red pepper flakes and grind them up in a spice grinder or coffee grinder and add it to your existing rub.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
I think a lot of people use Smoking Guns HOT for the heat on Yardbird.
Yep! Smokin Guns and Yardbird is the ticket.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Big Ron's Hint of Houston is a good rub with some heat.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->