MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #10846
SkinnyVinny
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrywood View Post
I figured that was a decent price for a lid & grate. The lid didn't fit. Since I'm not a welder I got a little creative with a 6' stick of aluminum and a riveter.

Nice work! I dont' have a riveter, but would simple nuts and bolts work? I guess i'd have to add washers to prevent air leaks?
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #10847
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Cheerywood, awesome UDS... not so ugly! One question: how far down is your second grate from the top of the drum? looks like 8 or 9 inches to me. Alternatively, how far up is it from the charcoal basket? do you find that any of your meats get more done on one side like a deeper bark?
I'm asking because I want to make my next UDS with a grate thats about 18-20" from the basket but I'm afraid my food will burn
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #10848
Cherrywood
On the road to being a farker

Vinny-Thanks! I'm sure small bolts would work. I used a cheapo hand riveter that cost @ $15. I had one cook on a windy day where I had a tough time keeping my temps down. I'm thinking I need some sort of gasket or hi-temp silicone around the edge to seal things up a little better.

Heisenberger-Thanks! My lower rack is 8" down from the rim which is 24" from the bottom of my basket. I'm only 3 cooks in, but haven't noticed any issues with edges overcooking.
Cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #10849
RustyPup
Got Wood.

I'm only on page 328 of this thread, but who could get that far and NOT start building? (Ok, I peeked at the end, so I know who did it...)

Well, I got the UD part, now I gotta turn it into an S. Found several drums at the local scrap yard ($8 apiece,) and grabbed the one with the least amount of rust on it. I think it held hydraulic fluid, but not 100% certain. Gonna drill it and do a better job of grinding the lip on the rim of the drum, then burn it this weekend.

Monday I'm taking it to a local sandblasting company to get the bejeebers blasted out of it. I figure for the $25 he quoted me on the job, it's well worth it.

I have a neighbor who's going to weld the 3/4 close black iron nipples into it for me, then the whole shebang will get paint. Haven't decided on a paint job yet, but I'll be using a black Weber lid on it, so it'll be something that'll go with that.

I know, I know - pics or it didn't happen. Well, here ya go - it happened...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UD 1.jpg (59.1 KB, 817 views)
File Type: jpg UD 4.jpg (46.2 KB, 816 views)
File Type: jpg UD 6.jpg (45.3 KB, 816 views)

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #10850
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I picked up 2 new metal drums with no liner for $30 each. (Posted in another thread).

I also scored some cheap expanded metal to make my baskets. I went to a local steel supply store and picked up two 12" x 48" sheets (enough to 2 baskets) for a total of $15. If you have a steel supply store in your town, see if they have remnants, that's why mine was so cheap. It would have cost me $40 for that amount of metal at HD.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #10851
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
I picked up 2 new metal drums with no liner for $30 each. (Posted in another thread).

I also scored some cheap expanded metal to make my baskets. I went to a local steel supply store and picked up two 12" x 48" sheets (enough to 2 baskets) for a total of $15. If you have a steel supply store in your town, see if they have remnants, that's why mine was so cheap. It would have cost me $40 for that amount of metal at HD.
Like you barrels. I also see your from Sac as I am close by. You mention you bought your expanded metal from a steel supply store. I was wondering if that might have been Blue Collar in Sac. I was going to go up there to check for some as well and was wondering if this was where you went.
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #10852
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
Like you barrels. I also see your from Sac as I am close by. You mention you bought your expanded metal from a steel supply store. I was wondering if that might have been Blue Collar in Sac. I was going to go up there to check for some as well and was wondering if this was where you went.
I got my metal from S&K Steel here in Sacramento. They had A LOT of expanded metal remnants. They also have a lot of remnant steel pieces that you might get creative and use on your UDS somehow. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #10853
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
I got my metal from S&K Steel here in Sacramento. They had A LOT of expanded metal remnants. They also have a lot of remnant steel pieces that you might get creative and use on your UDS somehow. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I will look into this for sure. Trying to convince the wife that a 3rd barrel is needed lol.
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #10854
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

Default Updated my UDS...

My favorite line from the original movie, "Red Dawn"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.6 KB, 820 views)

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #10855
Mr_Nas
Found some matches.

Got me some new gadgets for my UDS build..

Mr_Nas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #10856
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
Nice work! I dont' have a riveter, but would simple nuts and bolts work? I guess i'd have to add washers to prevent air leaks?
Or some Hight Temperature Silicone would do the work too

Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #10857
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

Nice looking UDS and handles. Where did you purchase your handles from?

Ramiro0727
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #10858
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
I did the same with mine, but with 3/4"l x 1/4"d stainless nuts and bolts. I C-clamped the aluminum bar to the outside of the drum first, then bent it around the drum, clamping every 8 or 10 inches to get the aluminum formed. Trimmed the excess and squoze it into the inside of the drum. I drilled bolt-holes in the drum first then marked the aluminum for matching holes. After they were drilled, I had some problems with the holes lining up and had to re-drill a few. I would recommend you just clamp the aluminum strip inside the drum once you have it formed and trimmed and drill through both in one go.
My strip protrudes about 3/8" above the drum lip - if I do a future UDS I'd go 1/2" or 5/8"
I also used red hi-temp silicon to seal.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #10859
Belaurora
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
I did the same with mine, but with 3/4"l x 1/4"d stainless nuts and bolts. I C-clamped the aluminum bar to the outside of the drum first, then bent it around the drum, clamping every 8 or 10 inches to get the aluminum formed. Trimmed the excess and squoze it into the inside of the drum. I drilled bolt-holes in the drum first then marked the aluminum for matching holes. After they were drilled, I had some problems with the holes lining up and had to re-drill a few. I would recommend you just clamp the aluminum strip inside the drum once you have it formed and trimmed and drill through both in one go.
My strip protrudes about 3/8" above the drum lip - if I do a future UDS I'd go 1/2" or 5/8"
I also used red hi-temp silicon to seal.
I am building my first UDS and have the same issue with the Uniflame lid being too small to fit. Here is the link to my build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=1#post2475371

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about welding the Uniflame dome to the original drum lid. My drum lid has a nice tight seal. The real issue may be whether I am a good enough welder to weld two THIN pieces of metal together. I have had lots of practice in the last couple of days and have gotten much better. I know there was someone who did this and I was hoping they would chime in. It it really difficult to weld the two together. I was planning on spot welding in 4 places and then doing very short spot welds around the perimeter, maybe 2 seconds for each spot.

Or would it be easier to just buy a piece of metal or aluminum and bend it inside the drum like in the above posts?

Anyone with experience welding the two pieces together? I am using flux core. I don't have a bottle of gas yet.

By the way this thread ROCKS!!
Thank you all so much for your help. I hope some others find what I have done to be useful too.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #10860
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaurora View Post
I am building my first UDS and have the same issue with the Uniflame lid being too small to fit. Here is the link to my build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=1#post2475371

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about welding the Uniflame dome to the original drum lid. My drum lid has a nice tight seal. The real issue may be whether I am a good enough welder to weld two THIN pieces of metal together. I have had lots of practice in the last couple of days and have gotten much better. I know there was someone who did this and I was hoping they would chime in. It it really difficult to weld the two together. I was planning on spot welding in 4 places and then doing very short spot welds around the perimeter, maybe 2 seconds for each spot.

Or would it be easier to just buy a piece of metal or aluminum and bend it inside the drum like in the above posts?

Anyone with experience welding the two pieces together? I am using flux core. I don't have a bottle of gas yet.

By the way this thread ROCKS!!
Thank you all so much for your help. I hope some others find what I have done to be useful too.
I've seen here in this thread what you're thinking of doing, but I don't remember if they've welded or bolted lid.

I think it's a good idea

Here it is:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77856

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker