Wondering about heat loss

Metal Supermarket will cut them any length I want. I'll get them to cut two 20" pipes. Then, hopefully the welder won't charge me an arm and a leg to put them on (I really need to learn to weld)!

All you have to do is buy a flux core wire feed welder, watch a few you tube videos . Then you are on your way to welding .

All you have to do is buy a flux core wire feed welder, watch a few you tube videos . Then you are on your way to welding .

oh sure

dont forget he will have to remove the old stack, cut a hole for a new one, fab up an elbow or whatever it may need and weld it on his brand new smoker and make it look half way decent

yeah go watch some u tube and have at it LOL

We got a pit a few weeks ago from the same guys and we're loving it, but still figuring it all out. The first cook took us 2hrs to get it up to temp and we struggled with getting it above 230 degrees according to the door thermo. The 2nd cook we were able to get it closer to 240 and a few weeks ago we hit 270. With that being said, the last time I took a wireless thermo and put it in different places on the two racks and found that my internal temps were WAY hotter than the door thermo stated. We were up to 300 in the top left corner and running at the door thermo temp in the bottom right corner.

Have you checked the variance of temps inside the pit? The door thermo isn't always a great representation. Let me know how it works out though because we would like to get higher temps (or have the choice) and if Brad changes out your stacks I might contact him and see if they'll do ours as well.

No problem. If I had to guess, I'd say 1/4" thick. Like I said earlier, I have no experience welding. I had no idea that it was easier to weld 2 things the same thickness together.

I may just take the smoker to the welder, and ask what he recommends.

It is 1/4" thick. We have the same smoker.

Have you checked the variance of temps inside the pit? The door thermo isn't always a great representation. Let me know how it works out though because we would like to get higher temps (or have the choice) and if Brad changes out your stacks I might contact him and see if they'll do ours as well.

I bought 2 oven thermometers this weekend and the left side was about +20 h than then the door thermo and -20 on the right side.

Quick Update:

I've sources the 6" pipe. I'm getting them to cut me two 21" pieces. The welder said that he can do the work while I'm there. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early today or tomorrow to get it done.

I'll post the results (with pics) as soon as it's done.

I bought 2 oven thermometers this weekend and the left side was about +20 h than then the door thermo and -20 on the right side.

I am so glad you checked! We see similar variances inside our pit too. I did a full day cook on a couple butts and moved my thermo all over the pit to find the differences in the temps so I could track it for cooks. I know exactly where to put different cuts now :).

Quick Update:

I've sources the 6" pipe. I'm getting them to cut me two 21" pieces. The welder said that he can do the work while I'm there. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early today or tomorrow to get it done.

I'll post the results (with pics) as soon as it's done.

PLEASE let us know! Is it going to be pretty reaonsable in the cost department? If they only have 5" pipe to swap out for, I would almost be more willing to just go with the 6" and spend the money so it is correct...just havent decided yet for sure.

PLEASE let us know! Is it going to be pretty reaonsable in the cost department? If they only have 5" pipe to swap out for, I would almost be more willing to just go with the 6" and spend the money so it is correct...just havent decided yet for sure.

JPS11 linked me to a forum post on another site where this exact discussion took place back in December. It looks like a 6" pipe extended down to just above the top grate and 20" or so above the smoker solved his issues. He didn't replace the 3" exhaust on the grill end (since it's pointless anyway). Another mod that they were talking about is to lower the grate in the firebox to only about 3"-4" above the floor. I'm not at my house to do measurements right now, but I'm thinking a 36" pipe would get the job done.

Between the pipe and the welder's labor, I'm coming in at less that $150 if I just replace the one exhaust. I'll probably jsut et the welder to either cut the other exhaust off and patch the hole, or just leave it there and leave it closed.

I'm not sure about the rules for posting links to other forums here, so I'll send you the link in a PM if you're interested in reading it.

I spoke to the guys at Custom Pits yesterday and did have a pretty good conversation with them.

They did admit to me that there are flow issues if you're wanting to achieve higher temps, and are changing those for their new pits. They said they will replace the pipes for me (for free). Also, I brought up the shelf placement in the firebox being a bit high (6" off the floor) and he said they will gladly lower that for us to whatever level we want. I am not sure if we should go wtih 2" or 3" off the bottom of the box but it would gain us at least 3" of room in there.

I will also say that we've been using this pit every weekend for the last month and 1/2, and as you work with it (as any smoker) it becomes easier to adjust and achieve the temperatures you want. We have had the door gauge up to 265-270 which means the upper right hand corner was reaching about 290. It CAN get to the higher temps, it just takes a lot of practice and work to get it there.

I'll let y'all know how it goes with them swapping out the pipes and lowering the rack.

Beth,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that they have admitted the fault, and are replacing the stacks for free. I have chosen to get my own replacements because I live too far away. I'm only going to replace the exhaust closest to the firebox, as the other exhaust serves no purpose anyway.

As far as the grate in the firebox goes, I'd go 3" or 4" off the floor. You want to leave room for the ash to pile up and not smother your fire.

"Also, I brought up the shelf placement in the firebox being a bit high (6" off the floor) and he said they will gladly lower that for us to whatever level we want. I am not sure if we should go wtih 2" or 3" off the bottom of the box but it would gain us at least 3" of room in there."

If it helps any, the firebox for my offset is 24" deep X 24 high X 22 wide and I have my firegrate about 2-1/2 inches off the floor. When I do a long cook, say 12-14 hours, I get about 1-1/2 inch of ash (burning hickory splits). I think 2-3 inches would be plenty. Best of luck!

"Also, I brought up the shelf placement in the firebox being a bit high (6" off the floor) and he said they will gladly lower that for us to whatever level we want. I am not sure if we should go wtih 2" or 3" off the bottom of the box but it would gain us at least 3" of room in there."

If it helps any, the firebox for my offset is 24" deep X 24 high X 22 wide and I have my firegrate about 2-1/2 inches off the floor. When I do a long cook, say 12-14 hours, I get about 1-1/2 inch of ash (burning hickory splits). I think 2-3 inches would be plenty. Best of luck!

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

They must have made that mod on mine before i bought it because if you go back and look at my pics my grate in the firebox is about 3 inches. Reading what everyone has posted here and the link that JPS11 sent out I should have my problem solved by swapping out the exhaust to a 6 inch. Thanks to all that helped!

They must have made that mod on mine before i bought it because if you go back and look at my pics my grate in the firebox is about 3 inches. Reading what everyone has posted here and the link that JPS11 sent out I should have my problem solved by swapping out the exhaust to a 6 inch. Thanks to all that helped!

I'm taking my smoker to the welder on my lunch break. I'll post pictures of the new exhaust. I won't be able to cook anything until next weekend though. I've got a busy day doing family stuff tomorrow, and I leave to go out of town for work on Sunday.

I will go with 2.5-3" of depth there then. Again, they were super helpful to me (not sure why they were not with others) and I will let everyone know how it goes. We'll be taking it to them on the 21st since we're competing next weekend in Cornelia and I do not want to make any mods to it right before the competition :).

Back