MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjimbob View Post
I have a co-worker who is convinced that a smoke ring equals undercooked meat. Whenever I bring in pulled pork for our monthly food day/b-day celebration, I have to pull some for her that has no pink in it. Explaining it to her does no good.

If I am ever able to grill burgers, etc. for food day, I will make sure she gets a crunchy one.
It would hurt me to cook a burger beyond medium rare, but yep I'd make the dern thing a hockey puck out of spite! Have you ever though about bringing a meat temperature graph and taking an internal temperature of the meat coming off the the smoker? Some people you really gotta show them, but still sometimes that don't do. Sad stuff.

I love steak tartare though, so I guess I'm an outlier when it comes to raw meats. LOL.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
didisea
Take a breath!

My evil MIL thought the beautiful smoked turkey that I made at Thanksgiving was always raw because it was pink and juicy. She never ate much of it which just meant more for the rest of us. Can't fix stupid!
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #33
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Note to self: Muricans don't know red meat starts out red, and is delicious pink.
Huh.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #34
buccaneer

Australia is NOT renowned for customer service, and the US is.
That being said, I know plenty of restaurants that train wait staff so, for example, if you order and omelette and complain that the middle is barely set and you want another because you don't eat uncooked egg then the staff will explain to your ignorant butt that a perfectly cooked omelette IS barely set in the centre, and you have a chice to order it another way but you will be charged for both.
I think that is fair.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Speaking of how I must do steaks and burgers for my wife and step daughter. Totally done. To me they are dried out and nasty.
Steaks the same way. Something about women's beef needs to be totally done to help prevent cancer. I just do what they ask.
Restraunts.....hardly ever go to them. Wife and family says my food always taste better....me....not so shure.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Can you still burn wood legally in California? Figured they would have shut that down by now.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #37
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Can you still burn wood legally in California? Figured they would have shut that down by now.
HAHAHA Sad, but a true statement.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #38
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
http://www.sparetheair.com/exemption.cfm

According to the local air quality management district. (Whatever that is) Cooking devices are exempt.

Good question though.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #39
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraman View Post
http://www.sparetheair.com/exemption.cfm
Cooking devices are exempt.
For now......
Won't be much longer, and you guys will have figured out how to put a catalytic conveter on your smokers.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #40
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Speaking of how I must do steaks and burgers for my wife and step daughter. Totally done. To me they are dried out and nasty.
Steaks the same way. Something about women's beef needs to be totally done to help prevent cancer. I just do what they ask.
Restraunts.....hardly ever go to them. Wife and family says my food always taste better....me....not so shure.
I thought that most people thought charring meat to a pulp was a carcinogen itself? Looks like a lose/lose if you think undercooked meat causes cancer!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
landarc

There has been ongoing studies about the whole wood thing, if you guys would just keep your mouths shut, then the CA lawmakers will just assume we all use gas and we will be fine. Gas and charcoal are seen as clean burning fuels, so just be quiet and there will be no issues. For the record, we have great air here.

As for the omelet comment, I used to go to a breakfast place that had a large red letter disclaimer that they cook all of their eggs to a soft texture, and that this is normal, that an omelet will have a soft almost runny texture, and that the scrambled eggs will be custardy. And that it will not be possible to burn the eggs. I stopped going there, because the line got to be around 2 hours, and I refuse to wait for two hours for breakfast.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #42
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
California is a whole different world
..LOL....I agree, it is a blue State, after all...... and I'm stuck in it....:)))

Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #43
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There has been ongoing studies about the whole wood thing, if you guys would just keep your mouths shut, then the CA lawmakers will just assume we all use gas and we will be fine. Gas and charcoal are seen as clean burning fuels, so just be quiet and there will be no issues. For the record, we have great air here.

Now you have me curious...what's it like to live in a state where you're afraid of your government? To the point where you need to keep discussion about burning wood quiet?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
landarc

I was kidding about that. I actually live with very little fear of anything. I am greatly frustrated by my local and state government at times, and I find the politicians maddening at times. Largely, I love living here and think most of the country really does not understand this state very well.

We have never gotten close to a ban on burning wood for cooking, indoors or outdoors. And I think it would surprise most of you to find that our state has had as many Republican leaders and Democratic leaders during my lifetime. MY biggest issue is that due to it's size, the cost of elections and campaigns being what they are, big business has far too much influence on the state and the manner in which much of how the state is run ends up being to their advantage.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #45
gtr

landarc, just make up some crazy chit and they'll believe it. They always do.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote