MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Picnic, chickens, shrimp, salmon and spares etc have all been great on my PBC. at Sams today I picked up three racks of baby backs for 18$. Gonna do those tomorrow. In Amarillo at 3600 above sea level with winds from 8 to 80 mph and the same humidity extremes the "normal" time and temps mean nothing. Pay attention, drink beer, enjoy the patio and the smoke and cook whatever meat till its done. Oh, forgot to mention, drink beer. jwh

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
jmoney7269
Banned

Wow, from what I read lately about the PBC SHEEPLE is that once someone of significance in the bbq world endorses a product, everyone goes and buys it! What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing. Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people, if you can manage this his amount of coals, you can manage any pit. Any good pitmaster knows a good pit has to have an adjustable intake and exhaust to learn to regulate the temps depending on their geographic location and type of fuel for heat and if the situation warrants different wood for smoke. Whatever happened to the true pitmasters that learned from trial and error, And did what worked for them, not what everyone else says to do. IMO when the new shiny wears off PBC, they will just be another shadow.

And we didn't burn one bit of the chicken!

You gotta cook by feel, that's the only way you can call yourself a true pitmaster. I dont wanna put words in any particular members mouth, but I have a feeling they will agree with this underlying message.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, it will just take some experimentation.

At two hours, mine read 164* and 171*.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
. I dont wanna out words in any particular members mouth, but I have a feeling they will agree with this underlying message.

I do, but I don't agree with your choice of location of saying it or the way you said it. Not your thread.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I'm also home alone with all the kiddos, 5 & 6 year old girls and a 7 week old baby, so it's not as easy to keep an eagle eye on it.

Jmoney, get off your high horse. Not everyone claims to be the best. Some people just want to enjoy themselves and learn to cook good food.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Wow, from what I read lately about the PBC SHEEPLE is that once someone of significance in the bbq world endorses a product, everyone goes and buys it! What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing. Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people, if you can manage this his amount of coals, you can manage any pit. Any good pitmaster knows a good pit has to have an adjustable intake and exhaust to learn to regulate the temps depending on their geographic location and type of fuel for heat and if the situation warrants different wood for smoke. Whatever happened to the true pitmasters that learned from trial and error, And did what worked for them, not what everyone else says to do. IMO when the new shiny wears off PBC, they will just be another shadow.

And we didn't burn one bit of the chicken!

You gotta cook by feel, that's the only way you can call yourself a true pitmaster. I dont wanna put words in any particular members mouth, but I have a feeling they will agree with this underlying message.
So you ventured out of Comp, jmoney! Actually, people go out and buy just about anything whether someone of significance promotes it or not. This does not just apply to bbq but any product. Turn the tv on. Reality is that not everyone has the time to do the extensive research that you have done in the WORLD of BBQ. Also, as you can see, if it fits their budget, they have bought it. What's exactly wrong with trying to shorten your learning curve by asking questions and learning from others? That IS the research you are talking bout ain't it? All of that comes with experience. Those a nice pics you posted, but let's be realistic, who cooks like that on a daily basis for that many people? Cooking by feel comes with experience too. With that in mind, not everyone is at the level of greatness you feel you are at. Again, that's where learning from others and from the cooks one does at home come into play. Like anything new, there is that moment of shine. Nothing wrong with with that. I don't want to put anymore words in my mouth, but I think you will agree with MY underlying message!
You'd better watch for those PBC's at a comp. Someone with one could just beat ya at chicken at the very least.....or maybe even a few other categories too!
Bob

Back to the topic!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 02-09-2013 at 08:39 PM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I would start with only 8-10 lit coal, and not putting any extra in your chimney. It takes a little bit for the temp to come up but a slow moving temp is far easier to control, especially from a novice (like me). Also, i dont know why your chicken went dry at 180. I actually just did some a few hours ago let it cook till 170 when i basted it with sauce and cranked the heat to carmelize it. Although i had dark meat.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

It makes me SMILE. Dammit, the PBC is a neat piece of machinery. Its fun. Its handsome. The PBC works. I've got lots of choices when I cook, as most Brethren do, enjoy the challenge-the smoke-the coals and the meat. And beer.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

My only REAL complaint is that I can't shut it down without some sort of mod. So it just runs till its out of charcoal, not a big deal but I'd like to be able to shut it down quicker.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post
My only REAL complaint is that I can't shut it down without some sort of mod. So it just runs till its out of charcoal, not a big deal but I'd like to be able to shut it down quicker.
Im not to big on the PBC scene, but wtf?????? you cant shut it down whenever you want?????
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #27
BobBrisket

Quote:
Looks to me like they use the cutouts as the vent flap. In order to reuse them, you need to over lap them so that you can drive the screw through them. Making bigger cutouts from steel sheet so that it covers the hole entirely, adds labor and cost, I'm sure. I forced the flap on mine all the way down to see how much gap was left, it was a good 1/2 inch or so. For me, not a big deal. If I'm going to cook on it, I try to load it up as much as possible to make the most of the coal, even in my UDS. There are mods to help with this. Maybe Noah will look at this and somehow improve that part of the design so that it fully shuts off. All in all, this is a pretty small flaw I'd say. It's not that big of an issue for me with this cooker if I can't shut it down all the way to save a few coals. Even in the UDS, after a long butt of brisket cook, I'm not saving much coal after shut down.
At factory setting:

Fully shut down:

One thing I did was I pushed the firebasket all the way up against the inside of the vent. That helped limit intake and helped shut it down a little faster, but honestly, I wasn't looking to save any coal at that point.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #28
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Agreed.
Have you decided if you are going to get a WSM, PBC, or some other type of smoker yet?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #29
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
Im not to big on the PBC scene, but wtf?????? you cant shut it down whenever you want?????
I "shut down" mine tonight with ease. No mods either. Take balls of tin foil ( could even be left over used foil from the cook) and ram it into the intake and rebar holes to block up air flow. Mine went cold within 35 minutes.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #30
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Any good pitmaster knows a good pit has to have an adjustable intake and exhaust
Soooooooooo.......where are the intake and exhaust controls on this beast???