MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

If you can garden try growing TAM mild jalapeno's.I always grow these.Look, taste and smell like japs but absolutely no heat at all.

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
Sounds great what kind of oil do you use and how long do leave the seed in the oil for.
Whatever kind of oil you wish, in my experience. I've done it to EVOO, Olive Oil, and Canola Oil. All came back with great results. Used the canola oil for frying, and it put that flavor into the food. French fries and chicken if I remember right.

It's also just for about however long you wish in the end, longer they stay in, the more the oil draws the heat out, and the hotter the oil gets. Think I left them in for a day, maybe two? The stuff was HOT. I believe the standard way for quick prepping this is to simply take however many peppers you want, canoe them, salt them, add some lemon, let them sit for about half an hour or so, then just blend the peppers and the oil together and strain the pulp out.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Mo-Dave

Jalapenos are grown and graded for heat, most restaurants use mild jalapenos. There was a thread here awhile back about this. Try doing a search but if you find a restaurant that uses the mild ones ask if you can order some or buy some.

I have not tried the milk or oil and will give that a try because as much as I like the heat there are times I just want the taste and my wife would love to have it that way. I have gutted them but they still have a lot of heat to me.
Dave

Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Hoss

If you are able to grow your own,there is a mild variety named TAM.That is a very mild pepper.It was developed at TexasA&M,hence the name TAM.The other options mentioned will work fine if you must use store bought.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Most of the heat is in the seeds and the membrane. Just remove the seeds and the white membrane on the inside.
I grow my own jalepeños, and they fluctuate between scorching hot, and really mild. It all has to do with the weather -- I think.

I always remove seeds from all my peppers, because seeds are often bitter. If I want milder heat, I remove all the membranes.

The top of the jalepeño pepper, where the stem is, will be hotter than the other end, but cutting the pepper in half isn't a guaranteed mild pepper.

If you pickle your peppers, that can mellow the heat.

But, the best thing you can do is portion control. More peppers, more heat. Fewer peppers, less heat. You have to taste. Bite off a little, give it a quick chew, and spit it out. Then, you know how much to use.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Soaking in sprite does the trick.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Wampus

I've grown mild jalepenos before. Not hot at all.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
mdjamesd
Got Wood.

If you're making mac and cheese, put the whole jalepeno into the milk, then heat on the stove to a simmer. Allow the milk to sit at a simmer/just under a simmer for ~10 minutes. Remove the jalepeno, being careful not to puncture it. Ta Da....jalepeno flavor without the heat. I have used this method with habaneros in other recipes with good results
mdjamesd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

You might look to see if you can find these in your local supermarket: http://www.mezzetta.com/product/10106129.html

I don't have any problem (usually) with the heat of Jalapeños, but one time a buddy of mine handed me a home grown garden fresh Jalapeño and sorta dared me me to eat it. Of course he did it in front of witnesses, so I ate it trying to act like it was no big deal and keep from choking and tearing up. I found out afterward he got the seeds from a Texas A&M test garden. I'm sure I sort of looked like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storm.jpg (28.9 KB, 37 views)

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
Hoss

Too funny!!!!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
strmrdr
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

you can try different jalepenos,they are not all at the same heat level,not sure why but i have been growing jalepenos,and other chili peppers for several years and have never been able to get them all to be hot.I like them hot,actually i like habenaros better because they are usually hotter but again it is not always the case.The other way to lessen the heat,or at least cut it on the palate is to use cheese,just like milk something about the dairy cuts the heat of the pepper.I have found that parmesan is very good at this as is any sharp cheddar.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmrdr View Post
you can try different jalepenos,they are not all at the same heat level,not sure why but i have been growing jalepenos,and other chili peppers for several years and have never been able to get them all to be hot.I like them hot,actually i like habenaros better because they are usually hotter but again it is not always the case.The other way to lessen the heat,or at least cut it on the palate is to use cheese,just like milk something about the dairy cuts the heat of the pepper.I have found that parmesan is very good at this as is any sharp cheddar.
This year my peppers were very small and not hot at all, I have to wonder if it was due to our high heat this summer, although I have always heard hot and dry climates will produce hot peppers.
Dave

Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-smoker View Post
I found out afterward he got the seeds from a Texas A&M test garden. I'm sure I sort of looked like
I grow TAM jalepeños. They can be really hot. But like i already said, the fluctuate. The amin advantage to the TAM japs is that they are very tolerant of whether changes. They are great here in Dallas. I get a lot of peppers from them with very little work, as long as whether conditions are not too extreme.

One of TAM's test gardens is about 15 miles from my house.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Funny to see peeps trying to make Japs cooler. I've been looking for hotter ones actually. Seems a lot of the ones on the market up here as well as out West have gotten milder and larger.

Call me crazy but I expect some heat from a Jalapeno. Otherwise I'd be not eating a Jap. Go stuff a friggen' Anaheim already!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Removing the seeds and veins (membranes) kills enough of the heat for my family.
However, the capsaisin (hot chemical compound) in chiles is alcohol-soluble, so perhaps
soaking them in cheap vodka would tame them significantly. I've never tried it, but
chemically it should work.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote