Keep it or sell it

Yendor

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a New Braunsfels El Dorado smoker that I have had a couple years. About a year ago I bought a pellet pooper (CS TG-300) and have been hooked on the convenience factor and I have been pleased with the quality of food coming off it.

I was planning on selling the smoker and just running with the pellet pooper. My FIL admitted to his brother (in front of my wife) that he preferred the food coming off the stick burner. Since I mostly cook to make others happy (as a lot of us do) I am now torn on whether I sell it. I have a buyer already lined up too.

Any advice? I have a Weber kettle, the CS pellet, and the NB El Dorado.

Keep it Pellet Poopers don't work so good wen the power is out.

If the money is not an issue, I would keep it. The stick burner will be turning out better tasting food when you decide to cook for a crowd. Use the pellet pooper like a gas grill, for convenience.

Well, I am surprised that none of the Brethren have stepped in to assist you n this dilemma. Since I am an understanding invdividual, you can send me the New Brunfels, and I will keep safe here in the Arizona desert, until such time you make a decision. Now I ask you, is that an offer or what?:flypig:

I've had my pooper a couple of years now and when I saw an El Dorado on Craig's List for $20 I bought it. You can never have too many pits, and yeah - no power, no pooper. I got backup game! ;)

I can run the pooper on a power inverter (mine had a hot rod switch added by the dealer) so I am not worried about a power outage. Looks like I will keep it though. The crowd has spoken. I will still use my little TG-300 for smokes as it does a very good job, but it still isn't the same as the stick burner.

Thanks for the advice, I figured ya'll had similar feelings about pleasing the crowd.

I would keep it. Every grill/smoker I have sold I regretted sooner or later. Now I just sell them to teammates or buddies so i can still cook on them if I ever miss them :wink:

You can never have too many cookers, I just parted with one but it was only to help get my buddy interested into the world of cooking BBQ.My contribution to keeping the addiction going.

Definitely keep it. The convenience feature of a pellet burner is nice but nothing beats the flavor coming off a stick burner imo. Plus like has been said can never have to many cookers.

Keep it . I have a 24 year old new braunfels i just used yesterday to make a smoked meatloaf. STICKBURNERS RULE !

Keep both. A pellet grill does cook some food better then a stick burner and the same can be said for a stick burner. The two make a great combination . We have 9 grills outside. When entertaining most get used.

I am the opposite of a pack rat. If I am not using it, it is gone. If your FIL likes it, sell it or give it to him (depending on what you need to do to maintain DIL's approval).

I use all the cookers I own. If not, I'd sell the one I didn't use -- except the redhead. Everything else is expendable.

If a grill or smoker isn't used, is it really a grill or smoker?

CD

If a grill or smoker isn't used, is it really a grill or smoker?

CD

Thats waaayyy deep maaaann..:shock: haha

In all seriousness though, keep the stick burner. I've been looking at electric rigs and one very good point was pointed out to me about pellet poopers. Its really their biggest flaw too..............THEY HAVE MOVING PARTS!!:doh: And moving parts tend to like to break eventually. If it breaks (heaven forbid!!) that stickburner will be your long lost best friend.

Back